-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I retired from the Navy in 1998, and it was just in time. Political Correctness was already running rampant from the Clinton effect on the flag ranks.

Navy Destroyer CO Fired After Trying to Make His
Crew a Plaque with Seized AK-47

clickable
[Linked Image from images01.military.com]
The guided-missile destroyer USS Forrest Sherman (DDG 98) transits the Gulf of Tadjoura, November 17, 2019.
(Kenji Shiroma/U.S. Navy) 28 Jan 2021 Military.com | By Gina Harkins

The commanding officer of a Navy ship was relieved days ahead of a scheduled change-of-command ceremony after an investigation was opened into his decision to make a plaque commemorating his crew's major weapons seizure in the Middle East, his lawyer said.

Cdr. Frank Azzarello was removed from his post on the destroyer Forrest Sherman on Wednesday over what the Navy said was a "loss of confidence in his ability to command." He was relieved by Rear Adm. Ryan Scholl, the head of Carrier Strike Group Eight.

Azzarello, who had commanded the destroyer since September 2019, is currently under investigation by the Naval Criminal Investigative Service, said Cdr. Ashley Hockycko, a U.S. Second Fleet spokeswoman. But the command declined to provide further details about what prompted the probe or Azzarello's relief.

"It would be inappropriate to discuss any details until completion of an ongoing investigation," Hockycko said.

Tim Parlatore, Azzarello's lawyer, said the Navy sacked the commander over his plan to turn a rusty AK-47 assault rifle into a plaque to celebrate the crew's celebrated Arabian Sea weapons seizure.

"He was trying to create something nice and good for the crew -- a morale booster for the men and women on the ship to commemorate their good work," said Parlatore, who attended Surface Warfare Officer School with Azzarello. "It's not like he stole an enemy weapon to put into his personal collection or something."

Parlatore said it's not clear whether Azzarello faces further punishment for the move. Hockycko said it "would be premature to speculate if any other members of the command will receive disciplinary/administrative action."

There are procedures service members must follow if they have plans for an enemy weapon, Parlatore said. As a warship commander, he added, it wasn't a situation Azzarello frequently encountered, so he didn't have training on the protocols.

"If he was, say, a SEAL commander, there probably would be a lot more detailed training he would have gone through all this," Parlatore said. "... Aviation and surface Navy, not so much."

The Forrest Sherman was one of two ships celebrated for their 2019 and 2020 arms seizures in the Middle East. Navy Capt. William Urban, a U.S. Central Command spokesman, told reporters last year that weapons, including a new type of Iranian missile, were intercepted on their way to war-torn Yemen.

Parlatore said the Navy could have told Azzarello to redo the processes for making the plaque out of the AK-47 instead of relieving him of command.

"To me, I think that this is going to be more damaging to recruiting and retention," he said. "What [Azzarello] did here is the kind of thing that, if he was my captain, I would have thought, 'What a great thing.'"

Azzarello has been temporarily reassigned to Naval Surface Force Atlantic's staff. Cmdr. Greg Page, with Afloat Training Group Atlantic, has assumed duties as the Forrest Sherman's commanding officer.

The Forrest Sherman crew helped give U.S. weapons experts their first look at what Urban last year called a "uniquely Iranian-designed missile." The destroyer and cruiser Normandy confiscated eight of the new 358-missiles during separate weapons seizures.

"He's proud of what they did in that seizure," Parlatore said of Azzarello, "which was one of the reasons why he tried to commemorate it.

"It's unfortunate," he added, "because here's a guy that spent 28 years of his life serving, and not only is his Navy career over, but quite frankly ... for the rest of his life, [prospective employers] are going to Google him and they're going to see this."

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
GB1

MAC Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I retired as a CPO from the USN in 2014. So I had to suffer through having OBozo as the CIC for my last 5 years in service. That moron did more to undermine morale in the military than anyone else. I served under Slick Willy too and he was bad but OBozo was 10X worse overall. I was really glad when they piped me ashore and I could leave all that behind. Don't get me wrong, I loved the Navy but I hated the politicians that ruined it.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Paul Harvey & the rest of the story? Somebody in his chain of command must have a hard spot for the captain to have him relieved that way...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not necessarily. CPO MAC is right in that anything in that climate is demoralizing. A "manly" act, like a war trophy with an OH MY GOD and actual weapon is reason enough to get someone fired and the tattletale rewarded.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Company's Wardroom at the Naval Academy had an AK-47 on the wall. Who knew?

IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I would hire him in a heartbeat, AFTER I googled him and saw this. He doesn’t want to work for anyone who wouldn’t.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I doubt our navy could beat Iran’s navy these days.

Sam......

C
C
The CDR got screwed. Navy wasn't like that during Vietnam.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Gawd forbid anyone should ever be allowed to possess one of those weapons of war, mass destruction and white supremacy.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
God help us.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Heaven forbid a weapon on a guided-missile destroyer..

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (10gaugemag, 163bc, 10Glocks, 160user, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,233
Posts18,466,653
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.