Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by yukon254
Benn guiding in yukon/BC for decades now, and my favorite hunts are still right here in the north. Moose rut hunts, bear, sheep, goats....

Boy I’d love to sit down and bullshiit you, bet you got some stories

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Been blessed with all kinds of great hunts, but the 2 that stand out most, were being beside my Wife & then my 12 year old Son, the following day, when they both shot their first deer !

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Cast and blast trips to WY. When I was in active duty stationed across the country, with some friends scattered about as well. We would meet in Farson, WY for an antelope hunt a couple days before the sage grouse opener. After the goat tags were filled and we had a day or two of sage grouse hunting, we would fish and bird hunt for a few days on our way back up to Jackson. A hot shower and a few rounds at the bar.. The next morning we would part ways til the next year. The best of times with the best of friends!

Semper Fi

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
What animal and location was one of your favorite big game hunts you’ve been on in the past? I’m always feeling like I might be overlooking a fun hunt while in the process of booking my next. Just don’t want to miss out! Life is short my friends.

My most memorable time hunting was for black bear in Michigan in 2017. This was from a stick blind on my private land. The season had been pretty slow, but one evening I had eight bears of all sizes come in over a 90 minute period from all directions before taking a sow that dressed at 198 lbs. I thought it was a boar, but that's not always easy to figure. I had a lot of fun watching the bears, including a cub climbing a white pine about 20 yards away while momma and and another cub held back behind me. It was a great night.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by ribka
long bow hunt for caribou during the migration in the Ungava in N Quebec

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

or elk in the mountains during the rut

Dandy bull ribka, I think I’ve asked before, is that a blues bull? Damn thirds are stupid long. Grats

About 15 miles SE of chinook pass. I saw 2 larger ones than the one I ended up taking

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Gotcha, cool country in there. Shame the Indians got em beat down, less than 1/2 the permits than there was 5 years ago. Great bull man. 👍

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My 2nd entry on this topic: Bighorn Sheep and Mountain Goat in my native CO.

Both taken DIY on backpack hunts. Nothing quite like that sort of hunt when you are young enough to do it right.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The most fun that I've had on a hunt was elk hunting in the Selway bitterness region of Idaho near Nez Pearce pass in 1978.
The most production elk I've had was the one and only elk hunt I've been lucky enough to get a tag in SD.
Some of the most enjoyable hunts lately is hunting with my cousins, or should I say shooting with my cousins - Prairie Dogs.
The most expensive hunt I've been on is Moose hunting in Alberta.
I also really enjoyed pig shooting in Texas.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My favorite so far is a do it yourself Caribou hunt with a friend in Alaska

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I find it hard to pick one "favourite" ... perhaps one of these:
Horseback / pack train hunt for mountain caribou and goats in the Selwyn mountains of the Yukon territory. With Moose and Grizzly and wolf as side dish possibilities. Or Manitoban bull elk in the rut, regular rifle season, second week of September at home in Saskatchewan. Or a traditional Druckjagd, driven game hunt in Germany for roe deer, wild boar and fox. Lots of tradition, culture and plenty of game action. Or a plains game hunt in the Eastern Cape, South Africa. Elusive Kudu in the rough and brushy hills are wonderful quarry. Or Cape buffalo in Namibia's Zambezi region, on the Chobe river floodplains. Lots of elephant and crocodiles and hippos to watch out for while stalking the buffalo. Or just chasing the enormous whitetails of Saskatchewan with a muzzle loader and a call and rattling antlers in the golden Indian summer days of late October.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My favorites so far were my two boys’ first deer kills after a few years of trying:

They always high-five the deer for their success:

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Next best is Alaska bear and moose:

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
The hunts with grandkids

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
[
I should have married that gal from Alberta and tried to get Canadian citizenship. You guys have great hunting opportunities in Canada

quote=castnblast]I find it hard to pick one "favourite" ... perhaps one of these:
Horseback / pack train hunt for mountain caribou and goats in the Selwyn mountains of the Yukon territory. With Moose and Grizzly and wolf as side dish possibilities. Or Manitoban bull elk in the rut, regular rifle season, second week of September at home in Saskatchewan. Or a traditional Druckjagd, driven game hunt in Germany for roe deer, wild boar and fox. Lots of tradition, culture and plenty of game action. Or a plains game hunt in the Eastern Cape, South Africa. Elusive Kudu in the rough and brushy hills are wonderful quarry. Or Cape buffalo in Namibia's Zambezi region, on the Chobe river floodplains. Lots of elephant and crocodiles and hippos to watch out for while stalking the buffalo. Or just chasing the enormous whitetails of Saskatchewan with a muzzle loader and a call and rattling antlers in the golden Indian summer days of late October. [/quote]

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Next best is Alaska bear and moose:

Nice. Bet that was a lot of work!!

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
RickyBobby: I am first of all an open country Mule Deer Hunter and Antelope hunting fiend!
But I have also been in on 14 Mt. Goat Hunts mostly as the designated "packer" but also three of those ventures were my own Mt. Goat Hunts.
I have been in on the kill of Mt. Goats in Alaska, Montana and taxington.
I get incredible satisfaction from Mt. Goat Hunting and the remoteness and lack of humans is VERY rewarding to me.
If you are looking for suggestions for enjoyable Hunts I recommend a Mt. Goat Hunt!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Arizona Coues deer. Rugged beautiful country, a lot of glassing/ stalking, a lot of deer and a new experience for most.

No task is half-a$$ed more than the spelling of Creedmoor...
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
KUGURUROK

I’ve been on a lot of hunts in Colorado, and several western states and in Alaska. But the hunt that I went on in 2007 is probably the best adventure that I have had the privilege to experience.
I went on my first Alaska expedition in 1987, when I climbed Mount McKinley with a group from the Colorado Mountain Club. I returned two more times to climb Denali; in 1993 with R.J. Campbell and in 1996 with my son Bryce. I didn’t return to Alaska for eight years. But the lure of the Last Frontier had taken hold of me and I yearned to return.
In 2004 I placed a post on an Internet hunting forum, and three men answered my post. The four of us corresponded for six months and in September, we met in the hub community of Dillingham, on the shores of Bristol Bay. Our goal was to hunt moose. We flew in on a bush plane and floated east for a week, down the King Salmon River, to the Nushagak River, where the bush pilot met us for the flight back to Dillingham. I didn’t get a moose on that trip and instead of quenching my thirst for adventure it just intensified it. Bill Oster was one of the guys on that trip. We became good friends and have hunted together many times since then.
In 2007, Bill and I returned to hunt Caribou on the Kugururok River, which is a tributary of the Noatak River, north of Kotzebue. Most people call it the Kugurok or just the Kug. The Noatak River is a world class river, at times half a mile wide, and a thousand miles long. But most people have never heard of it because it’s so remote. At the time, the Northwest Alaska Caribou Herd was 400,000 strong.
We arranged for a one-way bush plane flight and for rental of a raft, then flew on Alaska Airlines into Kotzebue. The next leg of the trip was a bush plane flight onto the upper Kugururok River. The pilot landed on a gravel bar and when that plane left, we realized just how remote we were, 150 miles north of the Arctic Circle and over seventy miles from the nearest people, and the plane wasn’t coming back.
We were on a side braid of the river and we wanted to get in to the main stream that evening. So, we inflated the raft and floated down the side braid. In Alaska it’s illegal to hunt on the same day that you fly. While we were negotiating the side braid a herd of a couple hundred caribou crossed the river in front of us and another herd about the same size crossed the river behind us. We had to accomplish a short portage to get into the main flow and we set up camp ½ mile down-river from there.
We camped in the river bottom and while we were setting up camp, we saw lots of ‘bou and some big bulls strolling along the rim, less than a hundred yards away. There’s a lot of vegetation, willows and alders, in the river bottom. But above the rim it’s all open country; muskeg, marsh mounds and in the distance, we could see low hills. We decided to try our luck tomorrow morning, from that location.
At first light, we climbed the rim and looked out onto that open country and we saw thousands of caribou. Not one big herd, rather many smaller herds; a hundred here, a couple of hundred there, smaller groups everywhere. But there was no cover for us to hide in and they were all out of rifle range. The animals were generally moving to the west and the river was flowing south. We hiked along the rim until we came to a small gully that the caribou would eventually cross. Bill and I sneaked up that gully on our hands and knees, until we were about a hundred yards out into the open country. We peeked over the edge of the gully and watched as hundreds of critters were generally meandered in our direction.
I saw a nice big bull that was going to cross the gully a hundred and fifty yards east of us and I told Bill “that’s the one I want.” He said “OK. I’ll wait for a bigger one.” When the bull crossed the gully, he was just east of us and the morning sun was shining behind him. I carefully placed my first shot in his lungs and the spray from the exit wound sparkled in the sunlight. It was visible for just a few seconds but, I’ll never forget the site of that spray glistening in the sun. My bull was resting in the bottom of the gully and the approaching animals couldn’t see us in the gully. As I was field dressing the kill, Bill removed the cape and antlers.

[Linked Image]

When everything was butchered and bagged and ready to be carried back to camp, Bill started hunting again. He saw a bull, bigger than mine and decided to take him. The bull was not approaching the gully as close as Bill wanted so he crawled on his hands and knees then slithered his way, on an intercept angle, toward the bull. He shot him at about 100 yards. So, we had two bulls down before noon on the first day that we could hunt.
We were only about a mile from camp but, there was a field of marsh mounds between us and camp. I was reminded just how much I dislike hiking across them. It took two trips to get the animals back to camp. The arctic twilight lasts so long that we still had enough light to negotiate our way through the swampy ground when we finally got the second load to camp at 9:00pm.
The next morning, we packed up camp and began the long float trip back to civilization. We weren’t going all the way to Kotzebue, because that would require us to weave our way through the myriad channels of the Noatak Delta and then to row our way across the open ocean and Kotzebue Sound. But we still had 70 miles of river between us and the little bush community of Noatak Village. We spent nine hours on the river and traveled 23 miles on the first day. Bill’s GPS said we were traveling at 3 miles/hour. That seemed reasonable because we were close to the river banks on each side and could see the territory passing beside us. We passed Kayak Lake and Trail Creek at about 1,000 feet elevation. Fall had already appeared where we were hunting because there had been a hard freeze at that higher elevation. But when we passed through 1,000’ elevation, summer returned along with lots of insects, and the caribou disappeared. We traveled 23 miles that day and camped just a couple of miles north of the Noatak River.
It would probably take two more days of floating to make it to Noatak Village. So, we started the second day of floating as soon as we could get ourselves going. Bill caught a big silver salmon and hung it on his stringer in the river. After only a short time, we arrived at the Noatak River and stopped for some more fishing, then moved out onto the wide Noatak. The River seemed about half a mile wide at this point and even though we could read the GPS unit that said we were still going about 3 miles per hour it didn’t seem like we were traveling at all because we were a long way from the shore. We passed the mouth of the Kelly River and saw a cabin on the bank of the Kelly. We hadn’t seen any other people since the bush plane left. Bill said to me “If a boat were to come along, how much would pay to have them tow us into Noatak?” I said “I would pay $25.00,” and Bill Said “What a cheapskate.” No more than ten minutes later a motor boat passed us and I yelled “Would you tow us into Noatak for $100.00?” They made a quick “U” turn in our direction. They first tried to hook on with a rope but the raft kept fishtailing so, they beached the boat, had lunch of caribou soup, and put our now deflated raft, us and all our cargo into their boat.

[Linked Image]

There were five people in the boat in addition to Bill and Myself. The owner was of European decent and a teacher in Kotzebue. Whittier Burns and his wife and another lady are Eskimos. There was even an Ainu who told me that he was a whaler by profession. The boat was traveling slow because the owner had failed to fill up with gas at Noatak Village and they were afraid that they would run out. Still, we arrived at an island across from Noatak Village in about six hours. They dropped us there but via UHF radio, Whittier called one of his sons to meet us with ATVs for the ride into the village. They noticed the fish that Bill had caught and Whittier said that his mother would cook that up for all of us to enjoy. We never saw that fish again.
Whittier and his wife (each was on their second marriage), had nine children between them, ranging in age from young children to sons in their twenties. They invited us to eat dinner of caribou stew, with them and to spend the night in their BIA cottage.
We had arrived in Noatak Village a day earlier than we had expected so we had a day to explore. There are about 450 residence and that makes Noatak one of the largest bush communities. The town includes an FAA airport, a post office, an ACC store (Alaska Commercial Corp.), a native store, and 40 or 50 BIA cottages all exactly the same. There is a building that houses the National Guard 1st Scout Battalion, 297 Infantry. Lots of motor boats, snowmobiles and ATVs, everywhere you that you look. There were even some full-size SUVs and pickups. We were told that the vehicles are delivered to the boat ramp via a ferry and everyone in the community helps pull them up the ramp.
There still remained one of the original buildings, at the time about 80 years old, which is a remnant from the community that the BIA built in the 1920s, as part of their effort to convince the Noatak People to give up their seminomadic ways. There were also some museum quality relics just lying beside the road; a wooden dog sled and a wooden fishing boat. Lots caribou and moose antlers were just laying around. The people were all friendly and we thoroughly enjoyed our visit. Finally, we had to leave and fly back to Kotzebue on the mail plane.
I’ve hunted and toured in Alaska six times since then and although all of those visits have been good, none was quite the adventure as our hunt on the Kug.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Dall sheep in the Chugach for me, hands down. 2015.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I've got to rank this one close to the top....three years of history with this bull.

And the way it went down, is something I'll never forget.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

167 members (2ndwind, aaronward9, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 30 invisible), 1,972 guests, and 1,024 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,493
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.