Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
What animal and location was one of your favorite big game hunts you’ve been on in the past? I’m always feeling like I might be overlooking a fun hunt while in the process of booking my next. Just don’t want to miss out! Life is short my friends.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've enjoyed hog hunting. It's typically an easier hunt for me and yields good meat. Not walking 10 miles a day in search of them. Easy to drag out.

I hope to draw a moose tag, which is pretty much a once in a lifetime hunt for me.

If I win the lottery a African safari and Brown Bear would be on my list!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This year I had my whole family come up to our lake place where we have some land in a back lot to get away.

On a whim, I ended up taking a big doe with a muzzle loader. I'd never shot a deer on the back lot property.

Having my wife and son come out and spending time in the woods together as a family, then taking a deer for the first time on that land was awesome.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
While safari is always a great adventure, my favorite all time hunt was red stag on horseback in Patagonia with Algar safaris.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
For pure no pressure, relaxing hunts Wyoming antelope hands down. For excitment mountain lion with hounds is a blast.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For sheer fun, it had to be some of the crow shoots we went on in years past. There was a local turkey farm that butchered turkeys before Easter and we used to sit the fields where they dumped the guts. We'd burn through several hundred rounds of ammo. It was a great time. We'd haul a ratty old owl decoy up in a tree and run the Johnny Steward with an crow in distress tape, and the crows would zero in on that owl decoy from far out. We litterall shot crows off that decoy on severl occasions. That decoy had so much shot in it, that it rattled.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Pronghorn in New Mexico hold a special place for me.Quail in South Texas are my favorite birds to chase when the numbers are there.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
For sheer enjoyment, I find the pronghorn antelope hunts I have been on in my life to be at the top of the list. Whether with centerfire rifle, muzzleloader, or bow, with family or friends, or by myself, always something to look forward to. Getting harder and harder to do nowadays, with permits getting scarcer to come by.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Elk during the rut in New Mexico for me. Nothing else comes close.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

IC B3

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pronghorn antelope with my brother and my late father. Always a good time and we always got game. I also enjoyed hunting waterfowl with my father before he passed. There is just something about sitting in a duck blind with a hot cup of coffee watching the sun come up that was always special.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've been fortunate to have been on some very good hunts out of state that brought many memories, some good and a few that were not so good. However, my favorite hunt will always be a leisure walk in the woods in October with my favorite 20 ga. O/U accompanied by my loyal Labs.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by MedRiver

That was an awesome write up! Thanks for sharing that!

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Giant muleys in Sonora, MX.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pronghorn. Its light hearted fun. With Moose you're always nervous. Always trying to figure out how to get one out of wherever you happen to be if you get lucky.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My buddy and I have been going on a eastern Montana deer hunt the last few years. It’s mainly doe hunting and its a ton of no pressure fun, his dad and son have started coming out from Minnesota and my daughter comes too. When one of us draws a buck tag we have ample opportunity to get one. Both mule deer and white tail deer are in the areas we hunt.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Went on a river hunt for Moose, in British Columbia. Up and down the river, stopping at places the guide knew to climb a hill or tree and glass. He had plywood moose antlers he would rake the trees with. Friend and myself both got nice moose. Had a griz coming in at night to try and get the meat. Tried several things to keep him away. Last night there I put peanut butter on a can of pepper spray and hung it from the meat pole. Heard him scream when he bit it and nice big hole in the can. Heard later a bear came in a totally flattened the camp. Good times and good memories.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Moose hunt in Maine.
Bear behind hounds in Virginia.

Buy once, cry once.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
6 or 7 years ago, a former Fire member came out to go mulie hunting. I took him on a llama pack trip. We had a ball and he got his mulie. I didn't get one but I wasn't half trying. I was just trying to find him one. I spotted one on a far hillside and we did a long range sneak. He crawled in and shot it, then we discovered that it was a different deer than the one we'd been after. No matter, everyone was very happy about it.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Pronghorn is a great hunt. As hard or difficult as you wish. Pigs are fun also although the ones I have been on are not trophy hunts but out shooting pigs. My favorite animal is free range Hartebeast always at least several of them and open land mostly makes getting close tough. Kind of like antelope in Wyoming.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

627 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 77 invisible), 2,412 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,311
Posts18,449,194
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.