Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Valsdad Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Little parasites get in to the secondary chicken Gulag to eat her food. Not only that, they try to take over the bluebird boxes too. I'm on a mission this year to get as many as I can.

25 long paces from the back door to where this on was perched. I have to open the door in stealth mode, slide the pellet rifle barrel out, and shoot from inside. Bugs the crap out of the wife sitting on the couch with a dog on her lap, while watching her shows. But I told her, I want as many dead this year as I can get. When it warms up I can sit out on the back deck and shoot them.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
BP-B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My buddy would prop up the dead ones with little sticks to use as decoys.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Brings back memories. When I was a teen, we had ducks and chickens. Starlings and grackles would swoop in and gobble up their feed. I made a "blind" with burlap feed sacks, and would sit there after school with my Remington .22 smoothbore, taking them on the wing. The occasional rat would get his dose, as well.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In Ted's Holdover Youtube channel he shows how starlings kill other birds.
They grab the other bird's beak in their foot while pecking the other to death.

Go to 3:55 in the video

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had fun as a kid killing hundreds of them over a few years with a Crossman 760 pellet rifle

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm with you. I just finished sighting in my new Ruger .177 pellet rifle at 1000 inches. I should be able to get head shots since I am shooting from a sniper position, inside my cracked open kitchen window, at about 180 inches to my bird feeders.

[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
U
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
Valsdad - you and I are clearly brethren. Starlings, english sparrows, and gray squirrels..............it's always open season.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
This winter is the first time I ever had starlings at my bird feeders. Not many, but 1 is too many. Got 2 so far with my Gamo pellet rifle. Always on the lookout for them now.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Kill a bunch each year with my FX pellet gun. Worked with a guy years ago who said we needed a law that everyone had to kill 10 starlings a day!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I go balls to the wall on them in the spring at the bird feeder too.

Good luck Elmer.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Have only had them here a couple of times.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My usual backyard pellet gun prey are the Asian collard doves.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Several years ago I read about a farmer whose stock feed was getting swarmed by these birds. I don’t recall how he set it up but a live circuit was set up to entice them to rest above the feed area. A switch was set up so that he could see when the wire had a significant number of birds on it. He’d complete the circuit and lay them low. I’d like to operate the switch on such a setup.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I’m glad to see I’m not the only one who hates those birds!!!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We don't get all that many in the winter. Our problem is nesting season when I can't keep them out from under the hoods of the cars. I have to leave all the hoods open for a month to keep them out. They don't like an open air nest.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Little parasites get in to the secondary chicken Gulag to eat her food. Not only that, they try to take over the bluebird boxes too. I'm on a mission this year to get as many as I can.

25 long paces from the back door to where this on was perched. I have to open the door in stealth mode, slide the pellet rifle barrel out, and shoot from inside. Bugs the crap out of the wife sitting on the couch with a dog on her lap, while watching her shows. But I told her, I want as many dead this year as I can get. When it warms up I can sit out on the back deck and shoot them.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I just use my 17M2.......

works real well on every one I dust

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
they started showing up at the feeder this winter. but when i shot at one with my blue streak, it went pffft and the pellet bounced off the post below it. guess i need to figure out how to put new seals in it. i can't safely shoot them in that direction with a 22. i wonder what cci bird shot is going for? 2 bucks a pop probably.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Starlings are common enough around here, but when I was cycling around Montana summer of ‘19 I was bummed to see so many starlings on fields and pastures with broods of fledged young.

What makes starlings deadly to native songbirds in fights is that they have long, strong legs for running on the ground and perching feet that grasp. That and they feed by jamming their beak into the dirt and grass roots and then opening the beak a little to look for insects so exposed. So they have a strong pointed beak with eyes placed to look right down the beak where they’re hitting. Pairs even team up to rob woodpeckers of their nesting cavities.

In the absence of starlings we have cavity-nesting tree swallows, purple martins and bluebirds. Over in the Old World the swallows build their own mud nests (the ancestors of our own barn and cliff swallows) and their bluebird-equivalent, the Eurasian Robin (about the size of our bluebirds) likewise build their own nest, avoiding competition with starlings.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We have them on the farm by the hundreds, and I only have seven or eight bricks of 22's left. Somewhere in the safe is a Beeman R9 20 cal that needs sighted in....... Wonder if all the pellets are gone from the stores, too?

Sic Semper Tyrannis
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Homemade set-up with the V-type top will catch hordes of starlings .

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...form=IQFRBA&first=1&disoverlay=1

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
680 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,900 guests, and 1,423 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,478
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.