Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Walking my dogs often as I generally do, I run into lots of millennials in the parks with their “furbabies” that they are using as a substitute for children. Often times non-descript pound mutts.

Almost every one of them are getting pulled all over because they all have their dogs in a harness, not using the collar. Of course dogs love to pull with a harness so it’s not like they’re gonna ever stop.

I can only assume walking em on a collar is considered cruel nowadays, same thing with asserting your dominance over the dog.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Taken notice of the same.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Dogs need discipline just like children.

A properly trained dog needs neither collar, nor leash in public. Just a snap of the fingers and a point. Sometimes we used a collar early (cheating) to get to that point.

On the other hand, there is no better, more effective, or faster cheat than a tiny buzz from a shock collar to teach a new puppy to kennel. Nor anything better than kennel training to achieve a house broke puppy.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Dogs need discipline just like children.

A properly trained dog needs neither collar, nor leash in public. Just a snap of the fingers and a point. Sometimes we used a collar early (cheating) to get to that point.

On the other hand, there is no better, more effective, or faster cheat than a tiny buzz from a shock collar to teach a new puppy to kennel. Nor anything better than kennel training to achieve a house broke puppy.
Many of the designer breeds out there aren't particularly trainable. They've bred the brains out of them. Our daughter has 2 Goldendoodles, the small ones bred from toy poodles. They have to be the dumbest dogs I've ever seen. The larger ones bred from standard poodles are supposed to be smarter but I've never dealt with those.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's not the harness that's the trouble, it's the attitude to refer to an animal as a "fur baby" that is the problem.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
we could never keep a collar on our beagle. tighten that thing down until as tight as i dared and he would still get out of it. he got out of the harness too. i think the little fugger had some houdini in him. plus he seem to have an inordinate amount of neck rolls. looked like he was wearing a turtle neck sweater.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
My young Lab is the opposite of what you describe: pulls hard on a collar, great on a harness. The trick to a harness is to have the leash hookup on the chest, not on top of the shoulders.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Buy a harness with the leash loop on the front of the dogs chest. When the dog tries to pull it just walks him in a circle.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Brazos
My young Lab is the opposite of what you describe: pulls hard on a collar, great on a harness. The trick to a harness is to have the leash hookup on the chest, not on top of the shoulders.

You beat me to it.

U
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by Dutch
It's not the harness that's the trouble, it's the attitude to refer to an animal as a "fur baby" that is the problem.

Nailed it!

IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
We are using a harness with our pup without issue. The leash connects on top.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Originally Posted by Bristoe
Buy a harness with the leash loop on the front of the dogs chest. When the dog tries to pull it just walks him in a circle.

And you both beat me.

My wife got one with a yoke type attachment, two ends on the lead. One goes in front of the chest, the other to the shoulders. If the puppy walks correctly there's no pressure on the front one. Let him start trying to be the boss, and it spins him around.

Little fugger will just choke himself on the regular collar some days, then back in the harness for a few. He's a lot better now than he was.

And for those who say just train them off leash. It works well with certain breeds, not so well with a sighthound. Even ones with obedience titles. Little furry critters flip a switch, no more hearing input to the brain. And they only see the "bunny" moving.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W

This^^^^^^

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Valsdad

And you both beat me.

My wife got one with a yoke type attachment, two ends on the lead. One goes in front of the chest, the other to the shoulders. If the puppy walks correctly there's no pressure on the front one. Let him start trying to be the boss, and it spins him around.

Little fugger will just choke himself on the regular collar some days, then back in the harness for a few. He's a lot better now than he was.

And for those who say just train them off leash. It works well with certain breeds, not so well with a sighthound. Even ones with obedience titles. Little furry critters flip a switch, no more hearing input to the brain. And they only see the "bunny" moving.

Our obedience training was very successful with our stock dogs.

Admittedly a Jack Russel Terrier is a different matter.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EdM

What I did with my heelers is bring em everywhere and have them off the leash as much as possible where I could. That way being off-leash wasn’t a novelty and, being heelers, once they understood I wanted them to stick close, that’s what they did.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by EdM

+1 (actually, it’s a ‘roading harness’) all I’ve ever used on the beagle.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by EdM

What I did with my heelers is bring em everywhere and have them off the leash as much as possible where I could. That way being off-leash wasn’t a novelty and, being heelers, once they understood I wanted them to stick close, that’s what they did.

I only walk my German Shepherds with a Herm Sprenger Ultra-Plus Training Dog Prong Collar.

I absolutely cannot stand people at the park who let their dogs off-leash. Particularly the ones who think it's cute their "fur baby" runs up to and barks in the face of my 92lb German Shepherd.

Yeah, your dog listens, right 'til they don't. They don't realize their "fur babies" are within seconds of becoming scooby snacks.

https://www.chewy.com/herm-sprenger...LfgQ4maTMdnmPQ2CGLcr-4spveEaArAFEALw_wcB

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Guess I’ve been wrong about harnesses, tho I usually see’em attached to the leash from the top.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Doesn't matter if they ware a harness or a leash. All dogs need at least basic training.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Walking my goofball isn't going to do anything for her. During the summer she runs along side me on bike rides, when the weather gets cold we change our routine. I take her out with a 50' long lead attached to her harness and a 18" short lead hooked to her collar. The short lead is wrapped around a belt grip on the harness so it doesn't hang off of her side. People laugh at our routine. I walk, goofball starts in the heel position and takes off running in front of me. When she gets to the end of the rope she'll circle back, run past me on my right side and keep going until she's at the end of the rope again. She'll circle back from behind me, run up to me on my left side and repeat the cycle while I continue walking down the street. She's been trained to stay in the road and off of people's lawns. She's also been trained to sit, lay down or stop/stand in motion. If I see a car coming or a person walking/jogging towards us I'll have her sit on command, walk up to her and grab the short lead and wait with her until the road is clear. Once in a while she'll get distracted and hit the end of the rope running. With the harness she'll come to an abrupt stop and look around like WTF, if the rope were attached to her collar the sudden stop would damage her throat. GSPs are nuts...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (160user, 11point, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 17CalFan, 69 invisible), 2,752 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,334
Posts18,468,628
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.