F
168k on truck., 2007 5.9 Cummins
Recent upgrades/replacement:
Ball joints
steering box/pitman arm
Upper control arms
Upgraded steering linkage to the H style
New Dampener

Turning left/right results in a slight bump or banging. Buddy and I thought it might be the control arm bushings, so I had the control arms themselves replaced (was cheaper than doing just the bushings).
While the mechanic was in there, he said the box was worn out, so he replaced that and the Pittman arm.

Still clanking.

Any ideas? I don't think there is much to replace, that I haven't already.

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Don't know if it will help,but, I had an article about an add on where you took off the nut from the Pitman arm/box and two front frame bolts.This device fit on the bolt that the Pitman arm goes on and then replace the nut.Two pieces from it then goes to where you took the frame bolts out. Supposedly this keeps the box from moving around.Sort of a stabilzer. It was about $180. Since I sold the Dodge though I don't have the article now. Might find it on a Dodge Forum

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/15/21.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
168k on truck., 2007 5.9 Cummins
Recent upgrades/replacement:
Ball joints
steering box/pitman arm
Upper control arms
Upgraded steering linkage to the H style
New Dampener

Turning left/right results in a slight bump or banging. Buddy and I thought it might be the control arm bushings, so I had the control arms themselves replaced (was cheaper than doing just the bushings).
While the mechanic was in there, he said the box was worn out, so he replaced that and the Pittman arm.

Still clanking.

Any ideas? I don't think there is much to replace, that I haven't already.

When you make a turn, is there any movement in the steering wheel, i.e., if you're turning right, the steering wheel wants to move or pulse back to the left?

I assume the "slight bump or banging" isn't a cracking noise?

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
4x4? Probably front axle shaft inner support bearing. 20 dollar needle bearing.

Last edited by flintlocke; 01/15/21.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is your track bar, the busing is shot. If you have someone turn the wheel, (engine not running) you can see the movement.

Get a new heavy duty adjustable. I don't remember the brand that I put on mine, but it stopped the issue cold!

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Track bar would be my guess too, but id be surprised if you didn't notice more than a noise. I did the lukes link in my 06.

https://lukeslink.com/products/dodge-ram-track-bar-bushing-kit-3rd-generation-2003-20075

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
The trac bar has maybe 1500 miles on it. That was just replaced over the summer. The bushings were shot.

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F

[/quote]

When you make a turn, is there any movement in the steering wheel, i.e., if you're turning right, the steering wheel wants to move or pulse back to the left?

I assume the "slight bump or banging" isn't a cracking noise?
[/quote]

It is not a cracking noise.

There is no movement or pulsing.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The trac bar has maybe 1500 miles on it. That was just replaced over the summer. The bushings were shot.
Check it anyway. On occasion defective stuff gets out the factory door.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

If replaced with a factory bar, I'm still willing to bet it is the issue.

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
I replaced it with a Moog.

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
I had an old 82 Ford that would make a popping sound/sensation, when going around a turn. It would do it while sitting still, as well, when the steering wheel was turned back and forth. Had Dad turn the wheel back and forth, while I spent 15-20 minutes under the truck to locate the noise.

Ended up being the support brace under the transmission. When turning, the frame was flexing enough, and there was enough movement between the support and the frame, to make that noise. Made some thin rubber shims, loosened the bolts, jacked the support up slightly, and put them in there and tightened down, never had the sound again.....

Not saying that’s it, but just be aware that there are lots of mounts/supports/braces that are being stressed, when you turn. May be your front end, may be something else getting flexed.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,784 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,489
Posts18,452,068
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.