Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
beretzs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 264magnum

I have a question for you Legend experts! What’s the weight savings between an edge shell/standard fill and a standard stock? Is there any real advantage over just the standard fiberglass stock? I am looking to build a 300 Win Mag but not really a lightweight and was considering the edge shell/standard fill. Thanks for any input.

I’d have to pull stocks and weigh some for you but on a 300 I’d at least go EDGE shell, standard fill. It just depends on what you want in the finished rifle. If weight doesn’t bother or matter than a standard is fine. As far as I know he doesn’t charge differently between the different fills either. At least he hasn’t in the past.

Semper Fi
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks beretzs! I was just curious but can’t imagine the edge shell would save more than a few ounces. From what I read it’s a little stiffer than a standard stock as well?!? Does the Echols stock seem too big in the forend for say a #2 Krieger? Thanks again for any input. Trying to assemble the parts for an 8lb 300 Win Mag Classic. Weight would include scope mounts but no scope.

Last edited by 264magnum; 02/10/21.
E
ejo Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by 264magnum
Thanks beretzs! I was just curious but can’t imagine the edge shell would save more than a few ounces. From what I read it’s a little stiffer than a standard stock as well?!? Does the Echols stock seem too big in the forend for say a #2 Krieger? Thanks again for any input. Trying to assemble the parts for an 8lb 300 Win Mag Classic. Weight would include scope mounts but no scope.

I plan to put a #2 in a Legend for a sub 8# 300 on a m70. Still waiting on the legend which will be my third. I like the edge shell with appropriate fill.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

The weight of McM Edge stocks has increased over the past 10 years. I don’t know if it is the shell or the fill. Mr Echols has repeatedly told me that they are heavier.
Some order an Edge shell with standard fill. There is a belief by some that the full on Edge/Edge stocks result in a rifle that can be a little persnickety to tune for groups. I haven’t observed that phenomenon but some have. At one time Mr Echols preferred the slightly heavier Edge/Standard for the 300’s but that may have changed due to the weight creep.
To get an 8# rifle with mounts but no scope you need to keep the barrel contour in the range of a Douglas #2. The Bartlien 2B is too heavy. Compare their dimensions to the Kreiger #2.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Yep, the weight of an all Edge Legend has crept up 5-6oz over the past several years. If I wanted to keep a new build to 8 pounds sans scope I'd be looking at an all Edge stock and a #1 barrel contour, or a #2 at most. My last build with a #2 Bartlien and all Edge Legend hits just under 8 sans scope. The Hunter's Edge is a lighter stock by several ounces and using it would allow a larger barrel contour or a heavier scope.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
When you guys are talking about building rifles that are in the 8lb range naked what action are using?? I've had 7-8 rifles built - most on Remington actions but also one with a Borden all with Classic Edge stocks and all with either a Brux #3 or a Bartlein 2b and all have come in under 6.5lbs. With scope and rings/bases I'm still under 8 lbs on all of them.

I just had one done and a 2nd one in the works with a Bart CF wrapped barrel and a Defiance action that is a hair under 6 lbs naked so it seems it would be pretty easy to build under 8lbs even with the heavier Edge stocks.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
When you guys are talking about building rifles that are in the 8lb range naked what action are using?? I've had 7-8 rifles built - most on Remington actions but also one with a Borden all with Classic Edge stocks and all with either a Brux #3 or a Bartlein 2b and all have come in under 6.5lbs. With scope and rings/bases I'm still under 8 lbs on all of them.

I just had one done and a 2nd one in the works with a Bart CF wrapped barrel and a Defiance action that is a hair under 6 lbs naked so it seems it would be pretty easy to build under 8lbs even with the heavier Edge stocks.

OR,

They are referring to Win 70 long actions and/or Darcy Echol's Legend actions used on the Legend stock designed by Darcy and offered by McMillan. The actions along with Darcy's steel custom scope mounts weigh considerably more than a custom built on a Rem action. Hope this helps.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MtnHtr
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley

OR,

They are referring to Win 70 long actions and/or Darcy Echol's Legend actions used on the Legend stock designed by Darcy and offered by McMillan. The actions along with Darcy's steel custom scope mounts weigh considerably more than a custom built on a Rem action. Hope this helps.

Thanks - kind of thought that might be it but wasn't sure.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Mine are all built on either pre ‘64 70s or the newer Classic 70 actions. The lightest one is a 9.3x62 that has factory bottom metal and cross slot bases. Scoped with a 6x36 Leupold it weighs 8 on the nose.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I hope that I did this right. I sent my order for a Shrike to Mr Echols to add to this order. Mine will be for my 700 in 338 RUM.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Can’t imagine a better stock for that type of rifle. You get Edge shell with magnum fill?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Woodhits
Here are some additional photos of completed Shrikes:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I have had a chance to try out those rifles. The top setup is about ideal for an all around, North American rifle as it gets. For deer and similar, the 2nd handles like a dream. The weight, portability, and handling of it is fantastic. The stock is very well thought out as you would imagine, coming from D'Arcy, but they really are fantastic hunting builds.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I guess you experts can give your opinions on the finished weight of this build. Winchester 70 Classic in 300 Win Mag, 24” #2.5 Krieger which is .615 at the muzzle, Edge shell/standard fill stock, Blackburn bottom metal and Leupold dual dovetails. Any chance this comes in at 8lbs with bases/low rings mounted? Thanks in advance.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by lone wolf
Originally Posted by Starman
You got to cut you own bolt-handle slot
and they come raw ..unless things have
changed -

When I talked to D'arcy about the stock, he said he didn't like the way McMillan made there bolt cut over sized and preferred to cut them himself. I do believe you can order it with full inlet if you like. The big thing with getting these stocks now is McMillan is making him order 10 at a time. He is running a list, when gets to 10 he will place order.

Originally Posted by lone wolf
[quote=Starman]You got to cut you own bolt-handle slot
and they come raw ..unless things have
changed -

I agree with D’Arcy. I don’t like the way McM cuts their bolt handle slot, either. Too big, sloppy fit. I fill mine, cut to fit the handle. On my Legend, I cut the bolt handle slot to fit. Worked out great, not a chore to do that.

D’Arcy milled a Williams bottom metal inlet. Fit was Echols perfect. For him to do all the inletting would suit me.

DF

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
264-
I think you’ll be close with those components but probably won’t be under 8. A friend just had Gene Simillion build him a 300 Win mag. Used Legend with Edge shell and regular fill, 24” Krieger #2, Blackburn bottom metal and Gene’s custom steel mounts. With a 3.5-10 Leupold it hits 9lbs even. Take off the scope and it’s about 8.25 lbs.

Last edited by John55; 02/12/21.
E
ejo Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by John55
264-
I think you’ll be close with those components but probably won’t be under 8. A friend just had Gene Simillion build him a 300 Win mag. Used Legend with Edge shell and regular fill, 24” Krieger #2, Blackburn bottom metal and Gene’s custom steel mounts. With a 3.5-10 Leupold it hits 9lbs even. Take off the scope and it’s about 8.25 lbs.

The Blackburn metal is nice but heavy. If you want it under 8 you should go aluminum (drop 4 oz) and a #2 Krieger. I’ve weighted these parts since I have them sitting here for a build and this is the only way you can make it under 8#s

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Thanks guys! Anyone have a picture from the top of a #2 barrel in the Echols legend? There is a lot of meat up front in that stock!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not quite from the top, but the front rifle is a Krieger 24” #2, 0.604” muzzle diameter. It fits extremely well in the legend.

The rear rifle is a Brux #3.

Last edited by RickF; 02/12/21.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by John55
Can’t imagine a better stock for that type of rifle. You get Edge shell with magnum fill?

John, Mr Echols thought the glass stock with magnum fill would be best in my case. I have a way too light Brown Kevlar stocked Pierce TI in 280AI and it is not pleasant to shoot.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Butch, only you know what your recoil tolerance is! If you’re not gonna pack it in the mountains then it’ll be fine. The older I get the more I prefer lighter rifles, darn mountains just seem to get steeper with each passing season!

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (2003and2013, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,539 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,132
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.