Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Folks
I’m looking for pros / cons of a Warn Provanage snow plow system complete
setup. My bike is a 2001 Honda Foreman Rubicon TWX 500
I purchased the bike new and keep it in my shed .

I want to buy the whole setup with the power pivot , skid bar , end caps with a 60” plow , unless you guys state not too ,
My ATV already had a wench . In addition is there a way to mount lights
Thank you in advance for your time , help and consideration Stay healthy . Dead is a long time
Semper Fi
Soup

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Photos of the wench please.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Soup, how much snow plowing are you talking about? You need to weigh more than what you are pushing and once your snow bank builds up, you aren’t going to push it any farther or wreck your wheeler trying. Lots of guys up here in the frozen north helped justify their wheeler purchase by saying they could use it to plow snow. I watched a neighbor horse around with his and he didn’t do a good job and took longer than if he had a snow blower. I had a plow for my Blazer K5 and when the back end came off the ground trying to plow through a frozen bank, I have used big snow blowers ever since. They take up less room and move snow farther.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Agree with Windfall about needing to know how much snow. Mine is Wisconsin snow so at times we get a lot.

I started out plowing a couple country driveways with an ATV and front plow. Works great and is relatively fast as long as you don't get much over 5 inches of wet snow. Fluffy snow depth doesn't matter. Plows great downhill but at the bottom of the driveway where it goes slightly uphill to the road it would struggle with the weight.

After a few years I bought a 32 horse compact utility tractor with a front end loader and rear blade. It will move any amount and weight of snow I need to. Additionally the extra weight of the rear blade scrapes the driveway much cleaner than the light ATV blade. Lastly if we get a heavy snow base and the driveway narrows as snow builds up as Windfall mentioned the front end loader can move it to where ever I need it to go. Mounted two fenders lights and a rear facing light so I can see at night. Rear chains and beet juice in the rear tires for weight also help.

A neighbor uses a small 4wd lawn tractor with a blower which also works well but leaves about a quarter inch of snow on the ground.

I learned the hard way when using the ATV that if there is any snow remaining on days in the 30s it would melt a bit and freeze hard at night and turn to ice. One trip sliding backward down from the peak of the driveway on ice after it froze up when we were at dinner stands out. Neighbor has the same problem so he spent 30k to put in heating elements under a portion of it.

I debated before buying either which one to get, the ATV with front plow or compact utility tractor. Wish I would have just went with the tractor initially as it does the job better. Not to mention how useful the tractor is for summer landscaping.

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
4 years ago I put a Cabelas plow on my Polaris RZR. However, we've been in a drought ever since and I haven't plow more than 4" at a time since then. It was supposed to be a universal fit but I had to fabricate a mounting plate to fit under the front end to make the bolts line up.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

S
Soup Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Windfall ,
Thank you for your prompt reply . I live in Southern NJ and have a vacation home in the Poconos up in PA .
We haven't had a really bad snowfall for the last year or so , mostly thanks to my neighbor buying a UTV !! I'd use this in the mountains
But this past week we got about 24" over 2 days . I couldn't plow that much I know , however most of the time we get 3 to 6" .
I'm able to go down hill pushing it off the side , then back up and keep up that same process . I'm not completely sold on the idea YET . . I just picked up an 8 HP 27" BRUTE brand 2 stage snow thrower .Never heard of Brute. Well cared for , stored indoors owner gave me the manual , 2 extra belts and a spark plug . Ever hear of BRUTE ?? For $ 300.00 I had to bite .

I know I'm not buying one that you have to craw under to install the plow . After calling Warn they told me that's what I'd have to do .
So now checking on SimPex which I never heard of and also Moose . Both have the " Click N Go " system .
Anyone using either of those .
Thank you in advance for your time and consideration .
Stay healthy ,
Soup

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Never heard of Simpex. Are you thinking of Kimpex? No experience with their ATV Click N Go plow system.

I use the Moose Utility mid mount (belly plate with push tubes) on a 60" straight blade, lifted by a Warn ProVantage winch. The ProVantage is a quick ratio winch for quick up and down of the blade. Plow fairlead with synthetic rope. The mid mount offers more control than the quick connect plows offer. You have to reach under the ATV to pin the push tubes, no crawling under it. The ground clearance doesn't matter because the plow clears all of the snow.
The mount has never hung me up in the summer through mud and saplings. It could catch on belly dragging rocks.
Moose Utility is a stable company that offers long term parts availability and support.

The Moose RM4 (rapid mount) works well to connect and disconnect. The lift is much higher for pushing up a pile. The draw backs of any front mount is putting all of the weight on the nose and lightening the rear end. I've never pushed a deep and heavy snow with a front mount, maybe that nose weight would help against diagnal push.

For those of you saying "use a snowblower" it snowed 5" today, current temperature is -9F, the ATV with plow took about 10minutes, the snowblower would have taken 1 hour. The plow system costs more and is worth every penny.

Last edited by 24HourCampFireGuy50; 02/06/21.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a Warne plow on my Grizzly 700 and use it to clear the streets in our subdivision and driveways. I have the manual pivot. Things to consider are when you stop pushing the snow, back up a little to lift your blade so the weight is off. Keep a close eye on the wear edge do you don't ruin your blade. Your ATV has plenty of power to plow. You can go to a steel sales company and get a piece hardened steel plate 1/4" thick and make a wear edge that will last a long time. From the holes in your wear edge add 1.5" to the length to the new blade and double the measurement and burn the hole in the center so once you wear out one side you can turn it around.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

128 members (44mc, 7x57Hunter, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, 808outdoors, 21, 13 invisible), 1,650 guests, and 742 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,688
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.