-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've got a 7,000lb car hauler that needs new tires. What are you guys putting on your trailers? Not interested in China-bombs.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Firestone transforce ht.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Hercules

Check them out.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
You can also use heavy LT tires. They need the stiff sidewalls, Car and lighter LT's aren't stiff enough.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Trailer, or "ST", tires are considered a special category in the current global design standards of Tire and Rim. The major difference is that trailer tires are required to carry 10% more load than an equivalent P-metric size tire.

LT type tires are actually on a lower formula and would require a significant size or load change to meet the trailer load requirements.

In the design process, we evaluate what works best under trailer applications/conditions. We typically find that a narrower tread width and a shallower non-skid (tread depth) provides a better overall performance in a free rolling position. This is one case where wider is not better.

There are significant design differences with these tires and this explains why trailer tires are in a special
category. In addition, that is why we recommend using trailer designed or trailer specific tires in trailer towable applications.

Sincerely,

Steve McKay
Consumer Relations
Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company

TRAILER-TIRE CONSTRUCTION
Commonly encountered tires are P (passenger car), LT (light truck) and ST (special trailer). While each tire series shares basic construction methods, such as bias or radial belts, a bead, tread plies and so on, the details vary meaningfully among the three. Considerations in designing tires used on trailers include the need to carry heavy loads, the relative lack of cornering loads, long duty cycles (the tires can be expected to sit for a year; then rotate for days on end during long trips). Furthermore, because the design of most trailer suspensions dates back many decades, ST tires are designed for as soft a ride as possible so they don't transmit too much shock to the trailer and its contents.
Trailer-tire sidewall stiffness is a compromise between P and LT designs. The desire for stiffer sidewalls is still occasionally cited as the reason for choosing a bias-belted trailer tire. While passenger-car tires are nearly all radials these days, ST tires are still available in bias-belted construction. Radial trailer tires are superior in all respects to bias-belted tires except in sidewall stiffness. Reduced tire heat, lower rolling resistance and softer ride are among the benefits of radials, not to mention extended wear. On the road, ST tires share some characteristics of passenger-car tires, but are closer to the design of light-truck tires. Trailer tires typically employ heavier steel or poly-ester cords and somewhat lighter sidewall construction than light-truck
TRAILER-TIRE SAFETY
continued
tires, and trailer tires typically run lower air pressures than their truck counterparts. This gives ST tires good load-carrying capacity; but with the desired softer ride. ST tires also have the advantage of rubber compounds that are specifically designed to resist deterioration from the elements, including sunlight and ozone, during extended storage.

for comparison
ST 225 x 75R 8PR
load cap 2540
psi 65
OD 28.3
SW 8.9
tread 9/32

LT225 x 75R x 15 8PR
load 2205
psi 65
OD 28.4
SW 9.1
tread 17/32

even if the LT tire was a 10 ply IT still wouldn't have the load carrying capicity of the ST

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good luck.

Hard to find a good US made trailer tire, may not even be possible anymore.

Avoid the imported Good Year trailer tires like the plague. BTDT.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Most of the big tire companies have factories in several countries. It's very difficult to know which plant a tire comes from.
Goodyear's Endurance is US made, I think, and some Carlisle. Carlisle has a couple factories in the US but they still make some in China.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A little research will tell you exactly where they come from.

Good to see Good Year build a US made trailer tire again. Been several years since I was dealing w the imported tires, decided right then to shy away from Good Years for the 18' trailer.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LT tires. An ST tire of identical construction would be RATED CAPACITY to carry 10% more load. Doesn’t mean it actually can carry more load.

LT tires absolutely fine, and rated for, trailer use.

ST tires fail (a lot) and generally have 65mph speed ratings. And are not rated for carrying passengers. Hence the higher capacity rating.

Last edited by SeanD; 02/03/21.

Sean
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Interesting post on an RV site, with references to the DOT testing regulations. The testing for LT tires is much tougher than the testing for ST tires, hence the lower rating.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/23225970/srt/pa/pging/1/page/1

Sean
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had horrible luck until I tried the latest Goodyears.

Hate to recommend them with the BLM shenanigans they pulled.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Higginez
Had horrible luck until I tried the latest Goodyears.

Hate to recommend them with the BLM shenanigans they pulled.

I hate to buy them with the BLM shenanigans they pulled!

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

On my SxS trailer I run 15" General Grabber 2 AT's

Occasionally haul my compact tractor on it too....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My pickup has 17" tires. I found some 17" wheels to fit my 4 horse trailer. When I replace the tires on the pickup, the old ones go on the trailer. It only gets 3 to 5000 miles a year and the tires will last until I wear out another set of pickup tires. They'll sun rot before they wear out.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
A little research will tell you exactly where they come from.

Yep.

tirerack.com is a good site to do this. Select the make, model and size of the tire you're interested in and go to the specs page, it'll tell you what country that particular tire is made in.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 58 invisible), 2,345 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,323
Posts18,468,478
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.