Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Some scopes track reliably, and some don't. If a guy is interested in LR hunting (not necessarily exclusively), it pays to figure out which models almost always track correctly, and then use one of those scopes. In the video you're referencing, the boy easily could have pulled the shot a bit, wind could have shifted, the wrong elevation could have been dialed for the first shot, etc, any of which could have caused the first shot to miss. I agree that it's a good idea not to dial scopes that don't have a reputation for tracking correctly (and/or are verified to not track correctly), but there are certain models of scopes that are nearly always mechanically very reliable.

Agreed. I'm not saying that other hunters don't have the right equipment and correct approach. I was just saying that "I personally would not dial a scope and take a really long shot based on that ..." I may or may not have a near-perfect tracking scope. But it just seems easier and more certain for what I have and do to aim a certain number of reticles higher.

You aren’t wrong at all. Some folks do better with holdover points and some do better holding center mass on the reticle. Just different ways of doing business. Either one out to a decent distance are pretty danged deadly with a little practice.

Semper Fi
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's just my preference. The reticle on my 4.5-27x FFP looks like this:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It makes things pretty easy, where the reticles are one MOA at all magnifications. At 600 yds, I would just put the ninth reticle below center on the animal, not counting wind considerations. As discussed, I haven't shot past 380 yds recently, but it works at that distance, and I will check out the two ranges you mentioned when I get the time. Also, when I go out to my Colo. property, I can practice out to 800 yds or so. Last time I was there, however, they had a fire ban which means no shooting, unless at game.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Long range hunting isn't anymore risky than archery.... funny part is archery hunters are revered in some circles as "real" hunters.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
How far they pokin them arras?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If you ain't confident, don't do it.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd trust X percent of 700+ yard shooters to make a responsible shot that they're comfortable with, way more than X+ percent of regular Joes to make a responsible 200 yard shot. This includes a damn lot of folks on this site.

Call it shooting if you'd like, vs hunting. I don't have an issue with that but it isn't 100% irresponsible to take those longer shots.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Long range hunting isn't anymore risky than archery.... funny part is archery hunters are revered in some circles as "real" hunters.

Wow you’re ignorant

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It is laughable that Dogcatcher compares Archery hunting to long range shooting. Tell me how be able to get inside 50 yds of an animal is the same as watching game from 1000yds with a spotting scope. At 1000yds don't need to worry about the wind , noise, or movement. Actual hunting vs shooting. Not even close.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by okie john
There's plenty of video of far worse results but people only post the stuff that makes them look good.

Okie John

Same with close range hunting!

Originally Posted by liliysdad
Originally Posted by bluefish
That ain't hunting.

Nonsense.....

I agree. What is it if it's not hunting?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Guides hate like hell to see them set foot on the ranches.

Not all guides see it your way. I hunted with one who accommodated long range hunters intentionally .

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Like already mentioned I am sure that we only see the "perfect" shots, not the ones that took a step at the shot and wandered over the hill to die, miles later, or where a unseen twig, deflected the bullet. Way back when, there were minimum energy standards recommended for both deer and elk. If my addled old brain recalls them it was 2,000 lbs for elk with a minimum of 1500. Looking at energy charts for some high. BC, 100 gr bullets, I find that the energy listed at 600 yards is less than 2/3 the minimum recommended for elk. This is with a starting velocity of 3600 fps. As you go out farther this declines even greater. Once again, big game are not always static, nor standing in the perfect shooting position while waiting to be shot. There are limbs, wind, and other variables, that are not always seen or considered. Just my .02 after eating an awful lot of elk. My longest measured shot 540, would I take it again, with that particular 300 WM, yes. With my 280 AI, I probably would not.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by elkmen1
Looking at energy charts for some high. BC, 100 gr bullets, I find that the energy listed at 600 yards is less than 2/3 the minimum recommended for elk. This is with a starting velocity of 3600 fps.

Make sure you correct for elevation, given that many people hunt elk at higher places.

For example, my 6.5-300 Wby launches a factory-loaded 130gr SS at 3,416 fps. At 700 yards: (1) at sea level, it's producing 1,488 ft-lbs, but (2) at 10,000 feet (which is the lowest elevation where I hunt elk and mule deer), it's producing 1,906 ft-lbs.

As a side note, the bullet also drops 8.5" fewer inches at 10,000 feet in the sky versus at sea level at 700 yds. That's a significant factor to keep in mind IMO.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

I don't really have a problem with bowhunting, as I was once an avid bowhunter, and have taken a number of deer with a bow. But, there is a part of bowhunting that I do have a problem with, and that is what we often see on the hunting shows..................

Guy hunting shoots a nice buck and buck runs off.
Hunter and cameraman "review" the film, declare that the buck was "hit a little too far back", which in redneck terms mean the deer was gut shot, and then decide to "back out of here" and come back in the morning.
Deer is found the next morning, and unfortunately the coyotes found it before the hunter did.
But, hunter still does high fives, thank's the Lord, and cries for the camera, declaring this is his best buck ever.
Meanwhile, all that's salvaged of the deer is the antlers.

Personally, I would never broadcast such an event for public viewing, as stuff like that only serves to give ammo for the anti-hunters. But, for some reason, there is an element in the archery hunting community that has no problem with it. Now, to be fair, as gut shot deer is a gut shot deer, regardless of what it's shot with. However, it is something we should all as hunters try to avoid doing, and if we do, not put it out there for the world to see.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Hunting shows are the main reason everyone and their grandma is a bowhunter now, and elk stopped bugling. Now they're turning everyone into a long range sniper. I know a guy that buys and grandstands every gizmo used by those douchebags on TV.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I find it entertaining that long range hunting always gets a bad rap. WhenI take into account the guys I personally know, the guys that shoot long, tend to practice way more than the average hunter, be it archery, muzzy or just rifle.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Looking at energy charts for some high. BC, 100 gr bullets, I find that the energy listed at 600 yards is less than 2/3 the minimum recommended for elk. This is with a starting velocity of 3600 fps.

Make sure you correct for elevation, given that many people hunt elk at higher places.

For example, my 6.5-300 Wby launches a factory-loaded 130gr SS at 3,416 fps. At 700 yards: (1) at sea level, it's producing 1,488 ft-lbs, but (2) at 10,000 feet (which is the lowest elevation where I hunt elk and mule deer), it's producing 1,906 ft-lbs.

As a side note, the bullet also drops 8.5" fewer inches at 10,000 feet in the sky versus at sea level at 700 yds. That's a significant factor to keep in mind IMO.

Good info MH. How about shooting angles? Far less trajectory when shooting steep uphill or downhill. Something to keep in mind if you hunt steep terrain, seen alot of hunters shoot too high on steep downhill shots.

Something to keep in mind there are some real long range Pros on here like Huntsman 22, ScenarShooter, John Burns etc that kill big game at really long distances but they practice shooting mostly year around near the areas they hunt and invest in good equipment. How many out there devote that kind of dedication and have a similar backyard to practice in? Familiarity with your equipment under variable conditions is everything in LR hunting. And in some regions one better learn to shoot at LR, it's wide open country.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a friend who’s building a 300 PRC so he can shoot elk 1000 yards.
He is an archery guy but wants a Long range gun. I tried to tell him to start off small like 6.5CM to hone his shooting skills for fraction of the price. It fell on deaf ears.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Dre
He is an archery guy but wants a Long range gun. I tried to tell him to start off small like 6.5CM to hone his shooting skills for fraction of the price. It fell on deaf ears.

start out with a .223

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Way back when, there were minimum energy standards recommended for both deer and elk. If my addled old brain recalls them it was 2,000 lbs for elk with a minimum of 1500. Looking at energy charts for some high. BC, 100 gr bullets...

The reason that energy minimums aren’t all that common anymore, is because impact energy isn’t all that relevant as a metric for killing effectiveness.

What caliber and 100 gr bullet are you looking at?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dre

Too bad. You gave good advice.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

74 members (Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 264mag, 14 invisible), 1,045 guests, and 760 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,485
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.