Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
tcp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I had a Fox Pro that recently went TU. I disliked the remote function as it was less than intuitive to start, stop or change sounds.

Looking for recommendations on a good easy to use electronic call. I am hunting in the midwest and only hunt coyotes on an occasional basis December thru end of February so i am not looking for the BEST Ecaller just something decent and easy to use.

Thanks.

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I use a JS inexpensive caller, it calls coyotes but not very versatile. Two FoxPros CS-24 and Crossfire I hate the usual FP remote but the TX-500/505 have 10 presets and a numerical keypad so I can just punch in a number without scrolling. I also run a pair of Minaska M-1 Bandits with a 100 sound keypad remote, it is my favorite remote, just simple and reliable(remotes are interchangeable and don't need to be synched to the caller).

JS
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Minaska

No pics of the Foxpros

Most new callers are pretty reliable and even the cheapest will call coyotes. Pic the features that are most important to you, buy from a company that has had that model in production for a couple years and read the reviews

Last edited by erich; 02/05/21.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Another thought while your FP isn't ideal for you , you are used to it and it might be cheaper to have it repaired and if nothing else sell it as "just inspected and repaired by FP" you should turn a profit over the cost of repair. That's better than trashing it. It would make a decent backup.

Make mine a Minaska

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've got a couple of Foxpro's, a Scorpion, and a Fury, had them for a number of years. The Fury is the one I use the most, and although it's outdated technology wise, I still call critters up with it. I can't say about other brands, but the support I've gotten from Foxpro has been top notch. Knowing that help is only a phone call away, and that they can and will repair your call, means that they have got me for a customer.

Nothing wrong with looking at, or buying another brand of call, but I'd find it hard to buy another brand myself.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’m still using one of the first CS24’s from Foxpro it’s been updated three or 4 years ago. Got sounds from FP, Minaska, Johnny Stewart and some of my own on there. I use the presets 99.9% of the time.

IC B2

T
tcp Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by JamesJr
I've got a couple of Foxpro's, a Scorpion, and a Fury, had them for a number of years. The Fury is the one I use the most, and although it's outdated technology wise, I still call critters up with it. I can't say about other brands, but the support I've gotten from Foxpro has been top notch. Knowing that help is only a phone call away, and that they can and will repair your call, means that they have got me for a customer.

Nothing wrong with looking at, or buying another brand of call, but I'd find it hard to buy another brand myself.

I was unaware that FoxPro would repair their electronic calls.

Thank you.

If you can't be a good example, may you at least serve as a dreadful warning
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad to see that I'm not the only one that thinks that the Fox Pro remote is a pos. I like the call, but the remote is horrible.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Windfall
Glad to see that I'm not the only one that thinks that the Fox Pro remote is a pos. I like the call, but the remote is horrible.

The older Foxpro remotes weren't very user friendly. The T-1000's, while not perfect, are a bunch better.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
✓ for the foxpro

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Have owned a number of foxpros over the years.....

Fx3, fx5, scorpion, wildlife, and a fusion that I literally just gave a buddy for the price of a box of hornady interlocks and Barnes TTSX. I must have Uber low standards because I never had an issue with any of the foxpro remotes. Even the old tx200 was pretty simple to use. The new remotes are a lot better than the old ones. But the old ones didn’t suck.

IC B3

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I've owned several different brands through the years, even the old JS record player. Everyone of them called Coyotes. Other than hand calls, the simplest was a Sony Walkman with a Radio Shack powered speaker. cool I bought a FoxPro FX3 when they came out, had it upgraded to an FX5 and have used it up until this year. Zero problems, not even with the remote. This year I upgraded to a Fusion because of the larger writing on the remote, but I haven't even used it yet. frown I need to get out but work keeps getting in the way. The only disappointing thing about the Fusion is the lack of the camo colors. I understand the skulls is the new hit, but I don't like them. FoxPro, gives back our camo. cry

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by K22
I've owned several different brands through the years, even the old JS record player. Everyone of them called Coyotes. Other than hand calls, the simplest was a Sony Walkman with a Radio Shack powered speaker. cool I bought a FoxPro FX3 when they came out, had it upgraded to an FX5 and have used it up until this year. Zero problems, not even with the remote. This year I upgraded to a Fusion because of the larger writing on the remote, but I haven't even used it yet. frown I need to get out but work keeps getting in the way. The only disappointing thing about the Fusion is the lack of the camo colors. I understand the skulls is the new hit, but I don't like them. FoxPro, gives back our camo. cry

My fusion has the kryptex camo....while I’m not a fan of it on firearms and clothing; it doesn’t look too bad on the unit.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Ky221
Originally Posted by K22

My fusion has the kryptex camo....while I’m not a fan of it on firearms and clothing; it doesn’t look too bad on the unit.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

I should have changed what I said. Mine has that same camo. I really like the camo design on the FX5 I have.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never owned a Foxpro, but have hunted a time or two with my Brother in Laws. I've had a Lucky Duck Revolt about 3 years now and have had really good luck with it. Rick Pallet(sp) of Verminators has some really good sounds.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone used the Lucky Duck calls yet? Any feedback? Their youtube videos are a hoot...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Took a picture a pic of one of my foxpros day before yesterday.

Original CS-24, rifle Sav 10/11 22-204, scope Sightron II 1.5-6x40mm

I've never found that camo other than a flat tan of outdoor green to be of any advantage, most coyotes die before they get close enough to critique the finish.

Make mine a Minaska

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
In the market for my first call. I just listened to a podcast-O’Neill Ops Predator Hunter-with the an owner of Fox Pro. He said that they will try to work on any of their units, if out of warranty and old technology and unable to be fixed they will discount a new model. Might be worth a call and see what they say.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Herewith info on yet another brand: I bought an Iotec Sabre in December. It has called two lions so far, and besides a few lion stands I’ve only tried for bobcats on four stands total. (A friend who bought an Iotec Outlaw in Dec. has also called two lions with his). So not a lot of use on mine, but here is a review to this point:

It is LOUD! and produces quite clear sounds. The remote is easy to use. It is easy to read and select sounds on the remote, and has bells and whistles I have not tried, probably has some presets, etc. It has two banks that hold ten favorites each. I select a bank of ten sounds and never stray from that bank of ten on a stand. I forget how many sounds it holds but it is 200 or so, maybe more.

Remote distance seems very good, and sometimes I sit a long way from the e-caller, or place it in a hole or behind a log or stump. Battery life on the Sabre is phenomenal, and it works best with non-rechargeable batteries. Iotec sells an optional battery unit I have not tried.

Sounds are easy to load, including sounds I have recorded myself, Rainshadow lion vocals, and favorites from my Minaska that died this year after 20 years. I liked the Minaska remote better than any other I’ve tried, Iotec a close second. The Iotec has a night setting for the lighted remote I wish would go even dimmer, though I don’t plan to call at night much with it. One button on my remote sometimes does not work on the first push, and Iotec readily agreed to check it and to let me wait till the end of this lion season to send it in. Iotec sales and service people are easy to reach by phone, super helpful. They seem like good people, practical hunters.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'm going to ump into the WT pool this year, I like the shape of the new Mighty Atom and like Okanagan love the Minaska remote. I still have two M-1 Bandits that go out regularly but sold the FP Crossfire and if I really like the WT the CS-24 will go down the road too. After using the Minaska remote I hate to scroll for sounds.

Make mine a Minaska

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been watching the youtube reviews of the different models of Lucky Duck, Foxpro, Iotec, and a couple others and it has shown there has been a real uptick of manufacturers and models come on the market with some serious innovations and improvements lately. It is going to be hard to make a decision on which one to buy, but I'm leaning toward the Lucky Duck Revolt as it seems to have the best sounds and most clear speaker system from the reviews I have watched... may have to let my bank account settle down for a while first after buying and outfitting my AR last week and buying a scope this week....

I have to stop watching those darned Coyote hunting videos....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Re Lucky Duck: My grandson got into calling coyotes recently and loves the Lucky Duck his calling partner has. As said, great sound.

He plans to buy a Lucky Duck soon. He lobbied for me to buy the Lucky Duck but I got the Iotec Sabre partly because it is one compact unit, no moving or movable parts other than a folding antenna (I fall down a lot, stuff my call in a pack, tend to break things in the field.) Plus they gave me a discount good for veterans and LE.

Grandson now owns a FP Inferno with an erratic remote. FP said they will fix the Inferno remote for prob $90 if he sends it in. He’d probably sell it cheap if anyone wants one. Good call till it wasn't.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 1Longbow, 55 invisible), 2,684 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,021
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.