Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
CBB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Have a handful of these and some H414 I was thinking of working up a load for. Any experience with that combo?

Last edited by CBB; 02/04/21.

Hunt...
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No experience with H414 but those 95’s are killers. Purple meanies my boy calls em’. Good luck

100% Public land DIY!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yes. Layne Simpson wrote an article years ago about common myths in the gun world. One of the myths was pet loads - loads that shoot good in all rifles. He found that to largely be a myth with two exceptions. One of those was 42.0gr of H414/W760 with 95/100gr bullets in the 243.

That load has shot very well for me in three different rifles.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H414 makes great lawn fertilizer.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by ckat
Yes. Layne Simpson wrote an article years ago about common myths in the gun world. One of the myths was pet loads - loads that shoot good in all rifles. He found that to largely be a myth with two exceptions. One of those was 42.0gr of H414/W760 with 95/100gr bullets in the 243.

I had a couple Ruger 243s, that I tried that load in... and for some reason, they liked to loosen the primer pockets on the first shot...
backed it off to 40 grains of H 414, and it liked that very much... and so did the brass...

the 95 Ballistic Tip is never a wrong answer in a 243 or a 6 mm Remington...nor the 95 grain Partition either...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I just can't be a fan of 760/414. Have seen too many loads go from being great to blowing primers with temp swings. Not my thing. I remember being in a LGS and a young guy working the counter was talking about this very thing, because it had happened to him, and I had to explain temp sensitivity of powders to him. Or, at least I tried. He and his co-worker kept giving me stymied looks like I was speaking Portuguese, and their final consensus as I walked away was that if such things exist, they aren't ever significant enough to cause a problem.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I just can't be a fan of 760/414. Have seen too many loads go from being great to blowing primers with temp swings. Not my thing. I remember being in a LGS and a young guy working the counter was talking about this very thing, because it had happened to him, and I had to explain temp sensitivity of powders to him. Or, at least I tried. He and his co-worker kept giving me stymied looks like I was speaking Portuguese, and their final consensus as I walked away was that if such things exist, they aren't ever significant enough to cause a problem.

That's why you do your load work with 760 and similar ball powers in the middle of summer.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

That's why you do your load work with 760 and similar ball powers in the middle of summer.

I tried that. But then the point of impact on my loads in freezing temps wasn't even close, and the accuracy wasn't there either. It's a one-trick pony that way. I still keep it around for some cast bullet applications. That's about it.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

I tried that. But then the point of impact on my loads in freezing temps wasn't even close, and the accuracy wasn't there either. It's a one-trick pony that way. I still keep it around for some cast bullet applications. That's about it.

That’s why I do both with temp sensitive powders. Winter load, summer load. Usually especially with my swift/22.250 using H380 the winter load is just fine until about 75-80 degrees.

Swifty
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

I'd like to read this article to see exactly what were his definitions and testing parameters. Certainly I can't make statements about a given load shooting well in all rifles, or a "pet" load being the very best shooting load for a particular rifle. I will say that there are loads out there quite likely to shoot very well, well enough often enough to be useful as shakedown cruise test loads for new rifles.

Last edited by mathman; 02/04/21. Reason: removed superfluous word
IC B3

C
CBB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Interesting notes on temperature sensitivity. I have seen similar issues in the 2506 with RL 22.

Personally I'm not worried about working this load up in cold weather as it will be a deer hunting load and won't get shot during summer. I have other loads I can use if I decide to shoot woodchuck. Was just looking to put 38 bullets to good use. I'll report back after I run a couple test loads down the pipe

Hunt...
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I shoot 95's out of my 243 but I use RL17. They straight hammer deer, never had to shoot one more than once. If you can get an accurate load with H414, the bullets won't disappoint you.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Bugger
H414 makes great lawn fertilizer.

^^^^^ grin grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Kinda conflicts with MD's "Loads that Work" recommendations....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H4350 fixes most problems...

100% Public land DIY!
C
CBB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Bater
H4350 fixes most problems...

I have some of that and run it behind 85gr Spitzer. Works very well.

Hunt...
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I use more W760 in my 243's than anything else. I've never had a 243 that wouldn't group well with 45 grains of W760 and the 85 grain Sierra BTHP. But, while 760 works well for the lighter bullets, I usually have gotten my best accuracy with the 95 and 100 grain bullets with IMR4350.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by mathman

I'd like to read this article to see what exactly what were his definitions and testing parameters. Certainly I can't make statements about a given load shooting well in all rifles, or a "pet" load being the very best shooting load for a particular rifle. I will say that there are loads out there quite likely to shoot very well, well enough often enough to be useful as shakedown cruise test loads for new rifles.

I tried to find the magazine, but I think it was a victim of a toilet backup/overflow a couple of years ago. Pretty sure it was in a Shooting Times from the early-2000s.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dunno about Layne, but Rick Jamison made a similar statement in print, as I recall in SHOOTING TIMES.

That has not been my experience. Have encountered a number of loads that work very well in different rifles chamber for the same round, from the .17 Hornet up to .375 H&H. Which is why my next book is not going to be THE BIG BOOK OF GUN GACK 4, but THE LITTLE BOOK OF RIFLE HANDLOADS THAT WORK.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Dang, John... you’ve got me thinking. Guess it could have been Rick, but I sure thought it was Layne.

Either way, the information was as stated and where I discovered that combo to try. I’ll keep looking.

BTW, I look forward to your new book!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

706 members (007FJ, 163dm, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 65 invisible), 3,136 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,579
Posts18,454,096
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.