Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
The corporate buyout of McMillan probably means that the days of ordering a stock just exactly the way you want is over. Moreover, prices-which have increased steadily in recent years--are unlikely to decline. With that in mind, you might get on gunbroker and search for the seller beck694. He/she/it is selling about 10 McMillan stocks at sub-$400 prices. The stocks might be a bit odd in terms of inletting or barrel contour or LOP, but if you can use one--even if it going to take some tweaking--it might be a good opportunity.

No connection with the seller, although I did buy the only LH stock he was selling.

BP-B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by utah708
The corporate buyout of McMillan probably means that the days of ordering a stock just exactly the way you want is over.

Utah,

What has changed other than stock choices for certain rifles ?

Print screens of McMillan's current order form, still the same options:
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
I have heard that some stock designs will only be available as flattops. I may be mistaken; time will tell.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'll call McMillan tomorrow AM to confirm and report back. They sent me a spreadsheet with active inlets.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by utah708
The corporate buyout of McMillan probably means that the days of ordering a stock just exactly the way you want is over. Moreover, prices-which have increased steadily in recent years--are unlikely to decline. With that in mind, you might get on gunbroker and search for the seller beck694. He/she/it is selling about 10 McMillan stocks at sub-$400 prices. The stocks might be a bit odd in terms of inletting or barrel contour or LOP, but if you can use one--even if it going to take some tweaking--it might be a good opportunity.

No connection with the seller, although I did buy the only LH stock he was selling.

Beck694 is probably the new owner of McMillian, Since it was Bob Beck that bought them.

TB, CWD and Covid-19 , free so far.....
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Yep, Beck694 is the owner of McMillan now. They have a lot of big changes going on these days.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MtnHtr
I'll call McMillan tomorrow AM to confirm and report back. They sent me a spreadsheet with active inlets.

I’d be interested to hear what they say as well.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Just got off the phone with McMillan, I spoke with McMillan CS rep Josh Deards. The changes to options so far are fairly minimal, they are simply trimming the herd to rid the slow movers. From a production standpoint this makes sense, it simply takes too much time for machine setup to produce one stock for a single order.

Regarding the Winchester 70 stocks, at least 50% of their Win 70 models are still "active" for full inletting per Josh. That includes the RH Win Supergrade. Others like the Echols stocks require an order of 10 to produce flat top only. This makes sense since Mr. Echols prefers to do his own inletting anyways as did my former smith. The Win 70 Supergrade LH is flat top only since its less popular. So to state McMillan will not be offering full inletting for all of their Winchester 70 stocks is not correct or true.

McM's Winchester Featherweight is closed, the mold is being re-purposed. Just not enough demand. Others such as the pre 64 Win 70 are still available for pre 64 inletting and they might even expand options in the future for the pre 64 Win 70 crowd.

If you want to order a stock for a Win 70, I suggest you call McMillan to confirm before you order. Its that simple.

I did ask Josh about a stock for the Kimber 84 crowd. As was with Dick Davis there just is not enough demand for an aftermarket stock for the Kimber 84 to engineer and produce a mold. The bottom metal can be tricky to inlet for as well. In other words its not profitable and I certainly can understand that.

The changes McMillan's new owners are making are still being evaluated and won't be final for at least 8-10 weeks and will be posted on their website. The new owner's goal is to improve wait times down to 2-3 months. Some less popular stock models were dragging production times down considerably.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Great info !
Thanks for checking into it.

TB, CWD and Covid-19 , free so far.....
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Seems pretty reasonable to me. Thank you for the G2.

Semper Fi
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Thanks for the f/u. Appreciate it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

A buddy of mine was told that they will not be doing custom camo colors anymore.

I wonder if that will effect the swirly orders too?

Unless they're planning on getting blanks done ahead of orders at some point, it doesn't take any more time to stick your finger in a black tub of paint vs puzzy pink.....

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I hope that’s not the case. I would wait a year if I could just keep ordering what I want. That is how I kept ordering them after the price increase. The fact they offered my favorite stock(Sako Hunter pattern) for whatever rifle I needed it for and my choice of colors.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Sounds as though they’re moving towards just being able to crank out rem 700 stocks as fast as possible. This new owner is taking a big dump on a lot of people.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Sounds as though they’re moving towards just being able to crank out rem 700 stocks as fast as possible. This new owner is taking a big dump on a lot of people.

I understand what you and Kaleb are saying about losing an option for your favorite stock. However, it sounds like the previous setup was taking a dump on everyone regarding time to keep all options open for a small % of orders. I'm not arguing for one or the other but it sounds like new management is making a sound production decision for the company that will be beneficial to the majority of buyers.....but it does cut out a smaller percentage of buyers.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I get it and I don’t mean to be putting them down at all. I wish them the best. I understand the majority of the stocks ordered are not for someone’s mid weight hunting rifle.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

I understand what you and Kaleb are saying about losing an option for your favorite stock. However, it sounds like the previous setup was taking a dump on everyone regarding time to keep all options open for a small % of orders. I'm not arguing for one or the other but it sounds like new management is making a sound production decision for the company that will be beneficial to the majority of buyers.....but it does cut out a smaller percentage of buyers.

If it was such a small percentage, it would not be clogging the system like you claim. Their wait times will go down. So will their customer base and revenue.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by pathfinder76

If it was such a small percentage, it would not be clogging the system like you claim. Their wait times will go down. So will their customer base and revenue.

^^^^^^^
You have any proof to back up what you posted?

Seems you know alot about McMillan's operations.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Just got off the phone with McMillan, I spoke with McMillan CS rep Josh Deards. The changes to options so far are fairly minimal, they are simply trimming the herd to rid the slow movers. From a production standpoint this makes sense, it simply takes too much time for machine setup to produce one stock for a single order.

Regarding the Winchester 70 stocks, at least 50% of their Win 70 models are still "active" for full inletting per Josh. That includes the RH Win Supergrade. Others like the Echols stocks require an order of 10 to produce flat top only. This makes sense since Mr. Echols prefers to do his own inletting anyways as did my former smith. The Win 70 Supergrade LH is flat top only since its less popular. So to state McMillan will not be offering full inletting for all of their Winchester 70 stocks is not correct or true.

McM's Winchester Featherweight is closed, the mold is being re-purposed. Just not enough demand. Others such as the pre 64 Win 70 are still available for pre 64 inletting and they might even expand options in the future for the pre 64 Win 70 crowd.

If you want to order a stock for a Win 70, I suggest you call McMillan to confirm before you order. Its that simple.

I did ask Josh about a stock for the Kimber 84 crowd. As was with Dick Davis there just is not enough demand for an aftermarket stock for the Kimber 84 to engineer and produce a mold. The bottom metal can be tricky to inlet for as well. In other words its not profitable and I certainly can understand that.

The changes McMillan's new owners are making are still being evaluated and won't be final for at least 8-10 weeks and will be posted on their website. The new owner's goal is to improve wait times down to 2-3 months. Some less popular stock models were dragging production times down considerably.

I confused about the Winchester FWT mold being repurposed. A mold makes a specific shape, so how do you repurpose it?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

Reading MtnHtr's info, my understanding is it's the setup for a small number of stocks that eats up so much time. The smaller the percentage or number of stocks, the more cost ineffective it becomes to take the time to change things over for their production.

..... they are simply trimming the herd to rid the slow movers. From a production standpoint this makes sense, it simply takes too much time for machine setup to produce one stock for a single order.

...... The new owner's goal is to improve wait times down to 2-3 months. Some less popular stock models were dragging production times down considerably.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
647 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 54 invisible), 3,117 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,740
Posts18,401,149
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.