Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Anyone have a good source? The style I've been wearing for 10 years appears to be discontinued. The company I got them from, Shopko optical, managed to get me a set of clear ones for indoor work, and the prescription, bifocal, polarized lenses for the outdoor ones like in the link, but couldn't get the frames. I tried having the local optometrist folks heat the old frames and put the lenses in but they cracked. I've had to glue them together for the meantime.

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffsb&q=titmus+sw06+frame&iax=images&ia=images&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fsafetygearpro.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2017%2F08%2FUVEX-SW06-Y-B.jpg

I'd like to find a suitable pair locally, but that ain't happening.

I wear them all day outside, I don't like to have to find another pair of safety type glasses if I just decide to pick up some sort of power tool, or go to the range, etc. These have served for work on the water, in an industrial setting where they were required, and just as general sunglasses for a long time.

Anyone know of an online supplier that can get me a pair of prescription, bifocal, polarized, sunglasses with side shields at a reasonable cost (coupla hundred $$$) ??

Thanks in advance, and of course, inane, off topic, GFY comments are expected and appreciated.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have a pair of S&W but the lenses were softer than the temples and the ends of the temples scratched the lenses...

Everything Oakley makes meets the z-87 safety standard. And the will make custom prescription versions for yo should you require it.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can go to safetyglassesusa.com they usually have a good selection. Prices are a little bit higher for some stuff.

Personally I use Elvex Sonoma SG-350PL Polarized ANSI Z87.1-2010. Gray frame, gray lenses. I get em for about $25-30 on Amazon.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

The douchier, the better

lol

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by pahick
You can go to safetyglassesusa.com they usually have a good selection. Prices are a little bit higher for some stuff.

Personally I use Elvex Sonoma SG-350PL Polarized ANSI Z87.1-2010. Gray frame, gray lenses. I get em for about $25-30 on Amazon.

But those aren't prescription and bifocal, are they?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord

The douchier, the better

lol

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I like Aviators too, had some 40 years ago.

But I can't find any that have the side shields etc.

In it is contentment

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by pahick

But those aren't prescription and bifocal, are they?

No, sorry not the ones I use and wrote here, but safetyglassesusa.com has a bunch of bifocals and theres an rx section. Doesnt hurt to look at their site or give them a call 877-958-2295

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks.

And stay away from skanks bruh. wink

In it is contentment

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Those are actually MacArthur glasses, which are a type of aviator style.

I've been shopping eyeglasses online lately, not specifically safety glasses, but they are sold by the same dealers that do the custom prescription lenses. The progressive lenses are the hardest thing to understand. There should be an 8-hour class for this stuff.

Safety glasses offer both impact resistance and side coverage. To do that without obscuring peripheral vision, they'd have to be wrap with a base 8 curve. That makes it difficult for the lab to fit the normal prescription lens blanks. To get wraps, you probably want proprietary lenses -- like Maui Jim or Oakley. You can get base 8 curve MJ's in polycarbonate or another impact-resistant material like "Maui Pure." Some lens makers have their own brand names for impact-resistant plastics and others use polycarbonate or Trivex, both of which are acceptable for safety-glasses. To get better protection, one-piece lens 'sheild' styles are stronger and spread impacts over a larger area than designs that have two individual lenses.

I don't think it's a good idea to match wrap frames with generic lab lenses, but you can get safety glasses with side shields like the Titmus style you linked or even the flatter 'goggle' style. They limit peripheral vision but depending on the hazard, they can be worth the added safety.

Also consider wearing safety goggles when you need them. I used to wear safety glasses for everything, but I would still get stuff in my eyes working under the 4x4. I switched to some big Uvex goggles and now that's what I wear under the car or when using power tools. I'd wear them also for reloading tasks like priming. For shooting, I usually wear my sunglasses (wrap with impact resistant lens material) or if the light is getting low I switch to polycarbonate safety glasses. None of my stuff is prescription, but the goggles can fit over your prescription glasses and then having full coverage on the eyeglasses will be less important.

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Roger that,

I've done all that stuff you've suggested. I like the Titmus brand I have for 95% of everything I do. The side shields of that style allow for enough vision without needing to be "prescription". I'm not a fan of the Oakley style, they never have seemed to fit my face.

I may end up going with the side shields that slide onto the earpieces, but I don't prefer those either.

Maybe I look for some New Old Stock Titmus frames on Ebay or something.

Maybe I just get some Ray-Bans and look cool.

In it is contentment

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Consider these: https://www.mauijim.com/US/en_US/shop/sunglasses/wrap/twin-falls?variantCode=417-02J

You can look at all the wrap styles at this link: https://www.mauijim.com/US/en_US/shop/sunglasses/wrap
Then narrow it down with the check box (upper left) for "available for prescription" and then narrow it to impact resistant lenses. Do that by clicking on the drop-down for "Material" and choosing lens materials. Maui Pure and Polycarbonate are suitable for safety glasses. The Maui Evolution and Maui Brilliant are also impact resistant plastics -- less so than poly but better than glass or CR-39. The "Twin Falls" I linked above are Maui Pure, the toughest.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
97 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 257_X_50, 15 invisible), 1,679 guests, and 658 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,741
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.