Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
I don't know what, but there seems to be something different about this Varmint Rifle?

Link: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/891162039

Let me know what I am wondering about.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Wild ass guess is that the factory BDL stock was replaced with the thumbhole.

Remington shows the TH stock was new for 2007, available in three calibers, 204, 223, & 22-250, only in S/S.

https://www.remington.com/news/2006...gendary-remington-model-700-varmint-line

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm trying to imagine how or why one of my thumbs would be way back there?

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Windfall
I'm trying to imagine how or why one of my thumbs would be way back there?

Funny, I glossed right over that aspect.

Maybe for the offhand...... grin

Here's a real one:

[Linked Image from gunsamerica.com]

Looks like they had them in this color too:

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
kinda handy for hanging it on a peg by the backdoor.....

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Huntsman: Maybe YOU are correct I had NOT thought of that usage?
I consider myself a gun enthusiast bordering on being a gun nut - but I can NOT figger out that stock.
I also glossed over it initially and went to the enlarged images about 20 deep before "it" hit me or occurred to me - WTH is that about?
I own maybe ten thumbhole stocked Rifles and LOVE them but that configuration mystifies me and the fella selling it did not mention in the Rifles description anything about it - one bid so far?
Again maybe Huntsman22 is right?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Windfall & Aalf: Do you think it is some kind of twisted joke? Or that somebody went to all the trouble (and some expense!) to fool with people? Could it be made for a person confined to a wheel-chair or something like that?
From a normal "shooting position" I can NOT figure how a person (the one firing the Rifle!) could get any of their thumbs into that hole.
Oh well - I just love Varmint Rifles and thought I had seen most everything in the way of Varminters.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I don't have a clue.

Actually, it's not a 700 thumbhole stock. Someone whittled the hole in a regular VLS stock.

[Linked Image from images.gunsinternational.com]

Maybe he got tired of chasing bees out of knotholes, so he made is own.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Likely whittled out to lighten it up a bit would be my guess. Not that that was the best place or idea but it’s the best I can come up with.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The only possible thing I can come up with is the thumbhole is for the left hand.
Shooting off a bench or rest with the fore end on a bag, left arm wrapped under the stock, thumb in hole, right hand on grip and trigger. Something similar to the notch on the bottom side of the stock on some tactical rifles. I dunno, just a guess. Still, the shooter would have to have some knuckle draggin arms on him.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by TheKid
Likely whittled out to lighten it up a bit would be my guess. Not that that was the best place or idea but it’s the best I can come up with.

This is the most likely IMO. I did a similar dishing out of the butt of a Kimber 82 that in order to make the weight limit for Smallbore Silhouette Hunting Rifle class, I did stop before I went all the way through though. It would not surprise me if this was done for the same reason.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
It is just a stock for hunters with big hands. Really big hands.

2 b 1 ask 1 !
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Aalf & The Kid: You both may be correct. But to lighten a Varmint Rifle in caliber 6m/m Remington after purchasing that Rifle as it "was" seems self defeating in value wise and weight wise to me.
I look for ways to maintain weight on my heavy barrel Varminters not to lighten them - in my opinion/experience heavier Rifles are steadier under field conditions let alone at the range when testing for accuracy, competing etc.
But again you's guy's have probably hit upon the most likely of all the unlikely reasons that "hole" appeared in that stock?
Early last year at a "pawn shop" in Butte, Montana I bought a similar (no hole in the stock!) Remington 700 VLS in 6m/m Remington at a "give-away" cash price.
It is minty with very little sign of use/wear on its bolt face even. My 6m/m does have the dreaded "J' lock on it, for now!
I put a Leupold 6.5x20 variable scope on it, got into my stash of 6m/m Remington brass and fireformed 20 of them for serious load development - I just haven't had time to get back to this rig for more load development as yet.
That will be a good project for when this blizzard passes. Anyway the Rifle showed "promise" during fireforming and sight-in.
I think I will skip the "reverse thumbhole", "lightening hole" or what ever it is on my Rifle though!
Where'dja go Big Green?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
1: a lightening cut taken too far.
2: maybe for the offside hand shooting from a bench.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I’m amazed someone paid $950 for it😱

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Scratching my head over that stock configuration... did a dyslexic stock maker set up his cutting fixture wrong and cut the thumbhole backwards? smile Weird.... but the really weird thing is they got $950 + shipping for that abomination?

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Pappy348 & Sheister: I have been watching (firsthand - in person!) Remington 700 bolt action Rifles selling like "hotcakes" when they do come up for sale around here - over the last 12 - 15 weeks!
EXPENSIVE hotcakes, at that!
For instance a plain jane Remington 700 with 20" sporter barrel in 223 Remington and cheapo fibersomething stock came onto the used gun rack at my LGS yesterday well after the noon hour yesterday and it was GONE this A.M. - after a maximum of 4 hours of shelf time!
The price was a somewhat reasonable $435.00 but again it sold almost instantly.
$950.00 - I am surprised, but its the way of the world nowadays it seems.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by TheKid

we have a winner

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
It belongs to a guy with a bad cheek tumor.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
I don't know what, but there seems to be something different about this Varmint Rifle?

Link: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/891162039

Let me know what I am wondering about.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I've finished several of those... those are Boyd's Stocks...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
699 members (10gaugemag, 11point, 17CalFan, 160user, 117LBS, 12344mag, 83 invisible), 2,664 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,689
Posts18,399,819
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.