Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I tend carry a saw with me even often backpacking outside of hunting season. Almost always on longer day hikes. A saw just makes life a lot easier when processing wood (or if an emergency shelter is needed). After trying numerous saws, all of my saws are now Silky- they simply cut better- I have small ones up to a really large one that resides in my pickup in lieu of lugging around a chain saw.

I recently met a gentleman who was very handy with a 3D printer and came up with a really lightweight solution, but still allows the use of Silky blades (I carry both a coarse and fine when hunting, if I want ribs out or need to skull cap something- put the fine blade on).

original Pocketboy 130 and lighter version

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

original

lighter version

I've had it out on a couple of winter trips and while not as robust as the all metal original, it still cuts great and seems pretty sturdy

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Laplander.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Nice! When do they go on sale?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole
Nice! When do they go on sale?

I'll see if the guy is interested in making a few more smile

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Nice.

I'm a fan of the Silky saws too. Got a couple, 210 and 500. Need a Pocketboy in the inventory though.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by MontanaMarine; 02/06/21.
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
This is the Silky Katanaboy 500. if you don't grin just opening this beast, something might be wrong with you.....smile

20" blade can cut.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Used Sierra saws for many years for light work. Blades started breaking in the early 2000s (Chinese versions) so bought a Bahco 396-LAP Laplander about 6yrs ago and it's been stellar. Made in Sweden.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
^^ that's the one I carry in my truck in lieu of a chainsaw; not uncommon to have a blowdown (or two) on the way into a hunting spot- and you definitely want something if those blowdowns happen when your heading out laugh

I keep a small axe and a couple of small wedges to assist when that happens

If I had a wood stove I'm sure I'd just pack a chainsaw, but I don't and that big Silky does the trick pretty well

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
^^^

Good info. For sheer lightness I have a one of those wire saws in a homemade cardboard sheath. But it's not as handy to use as a folder saw. The small folding saws like the Silky or Laplander come in handier. Also carry one of the pocket chainsaws off Amazon with a bow saw and axe in the truck for blow downs and firewood too. Lots of good choices out there.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Having used a pile of different ones over the years I've settled on the Opinel no.12 pruning saw w/ 5" blade. The locking ring really locks the whole thing up super positively (no chance of it coming apart and cutting oneself).

I'd absolutely go for the lightened Pocketboy if the locking mechanism is stout/positive. I like that weight!

While I've used blades larger than 5", I've never found I need more for backcountry fires, as long as you can out-think the chunk of wood.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In case you wanted to know...
I was curious about the benefits of straight or curved blades. What I found was that straight blades are intended to used between waist and head high. Curved blades work better below the waist or higher than your head. The angle of your wrists is the issue. A curved blade will do most of the cutting on the center half of the blade while a straight blade will use almost the whole blade. You only get a half of a stroke with a curved blade.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use a Troy Bilt saw. Picked it up at Ollie’s ( similar to big lots ) for $8 or so.

German made.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I carry a corona razor tooth 7" blade weighs in a 9 oz. The curved blade really tears through the wood.

Don't limit your challenges
Challenge your limits
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Brad
Having used a pile of different ones over the years I've settled on the Opinel no.12 pruning saw w/ 5" blade. The locking ring really locks the whole thing up super positively (no chance of it coming apart and cutting oneself).

I'd absolutely go for the lightened Pocketboy if the locking mechanism is stout/positive. I like that weight!

While I've used blades larger than 5", I've never found I need more for backcountry fires, as long as you can out-think the chunk of wood.

neat I did not know opinel made them

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great pics! Laplander then to Silky for me but both work great.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ribka

They’re not very expensive either, but they’re definitely great quality.

https://mcloydandco.com/collections/opinel/products/opinel-n%C2%BA12-stainless-steel-compact-folding-saw

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I thought you meant light weight chain saws.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
This is the Silky Katanaboy 500. if you don't grin just opening this beast, something might be wrong with you.....smile

20" blade can cut.

I broke out in a grin just seeing the picture. Another on the gotta have list.......

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

20" blade can cut.

I broke out in a grin just seeing the picture. Another on the gotta have list.......

Yes. If you think you need one, than you absolutely need one....grin.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That’s awesome... grin fully intact!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

A long time ago (maybe 15 years, maybe more) one of my children gave me a Coghlans Sierra Saw with an 8" blade. It looks cheap and flimsy, so for a few years it just sat there in a drawer and I didn't use it. Finally I gave it a try and I was surprised by how durable it is. Since then, I have used it a lot, always expecting it to break. But it won't die. It weighs 0.35lb.

Coghlans Sierra Saw

I've used it a lot including cutting firewood and aspen poles to make several back country camps like these.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I

Maybe not suitable for backpacking, but this is my new favorite tool from Milwaukee it cuts way outside its pay grade. If I’m boating or car camping or canoeing it comes with me. It only has a 6” bar but it will tear through wood pretty damn fast and make a nice stack of firewood in no time. Throw it behind the seat of your truck and forget about until you need to clear a path.

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

20" blade can cut.

Yes. If you think you need one, than you absolutely need one....grin.

In my best “ Crocodile Dundee” voice.....
Now, *that’s* a saw!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
After years of struggling with bow saws, happy convert to Silky.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Irving_D

Maybe not suitable for backpacking, but this is my new favorite tool from Milwaukee it cuts way outside its pay grade. If I’m boating or car camping or canoeing it comes with me. It only has a 6” bar but it will tear through wood pretty damn fast and make a nice stack of firewood in no time. Throw it behind the seat of your truck and forget about until you need to clear a path.

I just got one and its big brother. I agree it is my favorite. And I love Milwaukie tools so that says something.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Some nice options that I was not aware of.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
At one time or another they have been carried in my pack. Sven-Saw, Couglans Sierra Saws 7" and 4". The latest is my favorite. Gerber 6 1/2".

Do I incorporate these saws into backpack hunting?

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I used to have a 15" Sven saw but got tired of busting my knuckles with it. It's also limited to small logs, 3 to 4" max. There isn't enough room inside the bow for anything larger. If I was buying another one, I'd go with the bigger one.
I also had one of those Gerbers that slides out. I really cussed that thing because I couldn't keep the blade from pushing in. I had to lift it clear out of the kerf on every push. It was a real PIA. I found the Sierra saw to be a good one although I need a new blade for it. I also have a folding saw that uses recip saw blades. Those blades are made for high speed power tools. They don't cut nearly as well as a Sierra, Silky, or other blades made for a hand saw. I have a Silky that really cuts but it's too heavy to haul around while hunting.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The Pocketboy is nice and handy for keeping in the pack.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ironbender

"silky bigboy 2000"...someone in Japan spends way too much time in sex shops.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

This an interesting thread though.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by ironbender

"silky bigboy 2000"...someone in Japan spends way too much time in sex shops.

No idear what that means, which is just fine!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My buddy has this saw. It folds down and stores the blade in the top tube. Extremely light. I'm looking for one for my pack.

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Robster
My buddy has this saw. It folds down and stores the blade in the top tube. Extremely light. I'm looking for one for my pack.

You’ll be frustrated in your search. I Used one on and off for years... they are no longer available. Ounce for ounce I’d still roll with the Opinel.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have had a Wyoming saw for 35 years. I use the bone blade mostly but have used the wood blade to cut small stuff.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
https://m.stihlusa.com/products/hand-tools/hand-pruning-saws/ps10/

About $20 at the local Stihl dealer. Blade made in Japan. Good for the pack...

M
M
Thanks for pointing out the Stihl option, cheaper than the Japanese saws. I'll have to check it out.

"Going to the mountains is going home" - John Muir

"It is very expensive to give bad medical care to poor people in a rich country" -Paul Farmer

"Pain: The gift nobody wants" -Paul Brand
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

REI has these right now. I have used them for several years and had to learn not to twist the grip as you could break them. They have improved and noone I hunt with has broken one in several years. They come with a sheath and coarse and fine blades. I just carry the saw and the fine blade hunting [about 4 oz]. It is easy to find replacement blades as well though I have only dulled up one blade on a rock.

Gerber Exchange-A-Blade Saw - discounted price$14.73 original price $22.00*

I have also used other saws including Corona and Coghlan's - I use others now.
- Gerber [The slider [wouldn't stay open], the Gerber Gator Exchange a Blade [weighs twice what the cheaper one does and I can't find replacement blades] and the Myth {two teeth sizes on the same saw-no replacement blades].
- Bahco Laplander - easily the toughest and longest lasting folder I have ever used. I carry it when not hunting. If they made a bone blade for it I wouldn't fool with any others.
- Silky - I went with the 180 in fine and coarse. It cuts wood extremely well but teeth are fragile. I still want to try the fine blade on bone.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Mornin, Brad & everyone else, Agawa Saw same as the SawVivor. About $75.00 to $85.00 Canadian. Cheaper in USA funds. GWP. 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
This outdoor edge saw has been my go-to for the last 10 years. It’s light and stays sharp.

https://www.outdooredge.com/products/griz-saw-gw-2?_pos=9&_sid=d6163c32e&_ss=r

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

20" blade can cut.

I'm notifying the guberment about that pic. That's not a saw its an assault weapon. I believe that size of saw by law needs an gas or electric motor and a tax stamp to operate it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ribka

Nice spot.

Have not seen an open fire in the alpine zone for a long time.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

151 members (5sdad, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 24 invisible), 1,911 guests, and 1,010 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,499
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.