Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
TimZ Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Was watching Life Below Zero- The Next Generation last night and noticed the guy (Michael Manzo?) hunting moose and shooting a nice bull with a Win Model 1895 set up as a "scout" rifle with a forward mounted Leupold scope. I remember a thread on here about a guy doing the same thing with an 1895 and just wondering if it is the same guy? I know Chip Hailstone is on here occasionally. Cool rifle.....

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Yep, same guy. Mainer in Ak is his screen name.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
that's Mainer......saw him yesterday.......we do some rifle swapping at times.

he's busy with his malemutes and some winter trips.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Have one similarly arranged, but have not dumped moose with it yet.

1Minute
TimZ Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have a Marlin 1895 45/70 set up the same way, figure that would work pretty well for moose if I get the chance.....

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good moose medicine

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have had several 1895's and just could not get that warm fuzzy feeling. Ended up sending them all down the road. Probably the least handy "carrying" rifle I ever had. Good guns though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I saw that episode as well and mentioned it in a thread: What Cartridge is This?, in that thread, dSmith_45 mentioned that there was an outfit in AK that converted them to .411 Hawk or possibly .375 Scovill, but I thought it was a .405 WCF. No way to know without contacting Mainer though.

Those freight canoes he builds are pretty slick as well.

Last edited by High_Noon; 02/06/21.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Michael is my Surface Drive motor dealer, or was. I think he liked my 405 Win, 1895 but they aren't easy to find so he made a wildcat 410 O& M. He describes it here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMYUeH2-a7c

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A friend from Australia purchased a one-user Miroku 1895 .405 WCF with a scout scope from a hunter in Florida that had used it in Africa and had it shipped to a friend in Texas who was also a friend and hunting buddy of mine. We all got together to hunt exotics on a south Texas ranch and shot that rifle and others at exploding targets - some fun! Impossible to miss with the scoped 1895.The new owner then shot several trophy animals with it before having it packed up and shipped down under. He has since shot big game with it in Australia and Africa. A deadly cartridge /rifle combination.

My 1895 .405 has a receiver sight and has taken its share of Texas game and exotics and a Cape Buff in Africa.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Mainer gave me advice on using the Browning BLR scout mount on my 1895 Browning in 30-40. Turned out great and I use it on our deer drive days. I kept a Williams peep the 30-06 takedown so I have choices depending on the hunt. I have all of the John Browning designed Winchesters but I think that the 95 is my favorite.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I thought about doing the scout thing on mine but its original built in 1911. It has the Lyman style peep and I used it to shoot a bison last year.

Lefty

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Hes a decent guy. Ive messaged him a few times on here about certain details on environmental conditions reguarding bolt guns and some levers. Didnt know he was on a TV show but then again i dont have TV.

Hes used the old 1895 win, savage 99, and Browning BLR. I i recall correctly he told me the compact Ruger bolt actions were stellar and reliable more than those various leverguns.

Anyway good luck to him, hope he stays safe.

C
CTF Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by VernAK

Does he live in Delta ?

C
CTF Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
Hes a decent guy. Ive messaged him a few times on here about certain details on environmental conditions reguarding bolt guns and some levers. Didnt know he was on a TV show but then again i dont have TV.

Hes used the old 1895 win, savage 99, and Browning BLR. I i recall correctly he told me the compact Ruger bolt actions were stellar and reliable more than those various leverguns.

Anyway good luck to him, hope he stays safe.

Its been my experience that the M77 Mk2/Hawkeye is the battle rifle of sporting rifles.
More reliable than the Springfield , Enfield, and all the commercial 98 Mausers I've had and used.
None of the enclosed bolt face (push feed) bolt rifles come close.

One of the Alaska shows, Life Below Zero , iirc has a guy from Huslia. He usually packs a Ruger M77 Hawkeye Scout rifle and I've also seen him with a Guide Gun/Rifle in 375 Ruger.
For his application they are the Perfect rifles.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CTF
One of the Alaska shows, Life Below Zero , iirc has a guy from Huslia. He usually packs a Ruger M77 Hawkeye Scout rifle and I've also seen him with a Guide Gun/Rifle in 375 Ruger.
For his application they are the Perfect rifles.

Yep. He kilt a huge moose with his Ruger Scout .308

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by CTF

Does he live in Delta ?

Hi, I live about 29 miles out of town up on tenderfoot hill. Been there about 5 years now. I did take a year from my Tenderfoot hill base camp to train my dogs up in the northwest arctic. I have a boat building shop in delta junction. I have 18 malamutes, so pretty busy this time of year training and hauling winter camps and hunting caribou a by dog team.

C
CTF Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Aw cool. The HILL.
What kind of boats do you build ?
I used to want to build a Caulkin's Bartender.
Now that everything has changed. I'm not interested in putting in in Valdez. Getting thru Canada to put in in Haines isn't all that appealing either. Ahh well. Save me money.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mainer builds a very high quality freight canoe designed for Alaska's shallow rivers.
With his current stardom and dog training, canoe building is probably on the back burner.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Originally Posted by CTF

Does he live in Delta ?

Hi, I live about 29 miles out of town up on tenderfoot hill. Been there about 5 years now. I did take a year from my Tenderfoot hill base camp to train my dogs up in the northwest arctic. I have a boat building shop in delta junction. I have 18 malamutes, so pretty busy this time of year training and hauling winter camps and hunting caribou a by dog team.

I"ll swing by to chat when I"m in town once. Be great to shake your hand. Need to do that with Vern too... sooner or later we'll cross paths.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
705 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 3,060 guests, and 1,416 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,680
Posts18,399,622
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.