Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Thinking of an upland bird dog for pheasant and grouse. We've been without one for five years - just very hard to get over it when they leave.
So what do Griff owners have to say? Just the wife and I with plentiful trails right out the back door.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
BP-B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Good choice, find a reputable breeder and go for it!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm 73 and had griffons around since I was 3. They're sturdy hunters and love their families. They're naturally birdy, will point and retrieve, and most are good water dogs.

My little Rosie doesn't like water, but she is bird crazy. She's ready to go get more sagehen!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Old Rocky pointed this blue grouse, and Rosie located the downed crippled bird after it had crawled into a thick bush.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I could easily like a WPG as I'm partial to the "ugly", bearded breeds. Good luck on your search.

That said, there are a couple of pudelpointer breeders listed on the breeders alliance webpage from Minnesota...
https://www.pudelpointer-alliance.com/breederlist

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by ryoushi
<SNIP>...find a reputable breeder...!<SNIP>

Based on what I've seen in some friend's dogs, WPGs can be fine hunting dogs and great companions.
IMO, what I quoted above is the most important part of getting any pup.
Good luck with your search. Here's a link that might help: https://www.awpga.com/

Pursuit may be, it seems to me, perfect without possession.
Robert Kelley Weeks (1840-1876)
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
another griff fan. I just picked a puppy from mountain grouse kennels in White fish,

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by luv2safari
I'm 73 and had griffons around since I was 3. They're sturdy hunters and love their families. They're naturally birdy, will point and retrieve, and most are good water dogs.

My little Rosie doesn't like water, but she is bird crazy. She's ready to go get more sagehen!

Old Rocky pointed this blue grouse, and Rosie located the downed crippled bird after it had crawled into a thick bush.

my Rosie agrees.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Love my Griff. Works closer than most other versatile breeds such as Shorthairs. Also a burr magnet unlike Shorthairs. Be sure to check credentials of breeder and the Lines NAVHDA NA scores which are important IMHO.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
mine gets sprayed good with this if we're hunting thick cover

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=4DDBE867-F4FD-4871-8689-AA673E4513D2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ribka

my Rosie agrees.

She's Beeeauuutifuuulll!!
laugh cool

Thanks for the tip on the Mane n Tail. I'm heading to the feed store today to get some, the 32oz size for these parts.

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

my Rosie agrees.

She's Beeeauuutifuuulll!!
laugh cool

Thanks for the tip on the Mane n Tail. I'm heading to the feed store today to get some, the 32oz size for these parts.

THANKS

I carry a good comb hunting and I brush my griff out if I start to see burrs asap instead of letting them get matted end of day. Seems to help

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My new griff I just picked up

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Evening, you are in for some reeeel entertainment!!!! They are great pals, & have amazing personalities!!! They will intentionally do stuff to make you laugh and are so naturally birdy it's amazing. Need little to no training, so natural it's uncanny!!! Talk about cute, wow, girl or boy??? Bill out. 🐾👣🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
AWWWWWWWWWwwwwwwww.....

Cute cool

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

My wife looked at this and said we need a boyfriend for Rosie. She wants a puppy. She's been telling me no new dogs for a while. "A while" didn't last long, lol.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

My wife looked at this and said we need a boyfriend for Rosie. She wants a puppy. She's been telling me no new dogs for a while. "A while" didn't last long, lol.

if interested he is going to breed again this summer . really strong lines

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks to all for your advice.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Good dogs to go on hikes. Great companions at home with a lot of personality

I just hiked 4 miles today in the snow with mine

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
mine gets sprayed good with this if we're hunting thick cover

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=4DDBE867-F4FD-4871-8689-AA673E4513D2
I need to try some of that stuff. Hank is somewhat finer coated and will bring home lots of seeds.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We have 2 female Griffs, 14yr & 8yrs old. They are great hunting dogs that seem to want to work with you to cover an area. Ours have hunted huns, sharptail & ruffed grouse, pheasant & quail, and have blood tracked, locating archery killed deer. Ours hunt slower, closer and more methodically than some of the other bigger running dogs (GSP/WP, setters, English pointers) The Griffs I have been around all have had pretty even temperaments. Ours doesn't do well with harsh or any physical discipline. A little scolding goes a very long way with most of them that I have seen. They hunting draw backs - They are deer trackers, rabbit chasers, cat killers and coon chasers, its just the breed. Our oldest has been skunked 2x & porkied 3x, and she would do it again tomorrow. Their coat. There are so many more AWPG breeders now than there were just 14yrs ago. A lot of Walmart puppies are being bred as Griffs seems to have become the popular dog to have now. Most are not bred for hunting and have the "French", cute, fluffy, look. My oldest picks up every bur in the field, she's like velcro. The other has a harsher coat, its not as big of a problem. Ours gets Mane and tail or we just shave her before the hunting season. If you want one for hunting, find a breeder that recognizes how important a harsh wirey coat is when you are in the hunting field.

I can't say enough about how great they are as at home companions too. They are sweet and loving. They are not kennel dogs and need social interaction. They are smart. They need exercise daily or they will drive you nuts. They do great in then house, but, despite what you may have heard, they will shed some. Our 14yr old hunted her last season this past fall, I am on the list for another Griff pup in '22. Good luck to you.

Last edited by HuntKY; 02/17/21.

Protect WYDAHO fish and game, fence out Utah.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
673 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 77 invisible), 2,749 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,029
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.