-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a 6.5 PRC it shoots really well. I guess, I bought this rifle to see what's all the hype with the 6.5's
I went on a deer hunt this past Fall to South Dakota, a good place to check on long range work when needed. About a week before it was time to leave for my deer hunt, I was out shooting my PRC and one of my .308's. The .308 load was with Sierra's new GameChanger bullets. This load was working really well in my rifle I really wanted to test these new bullets. They were 165 grains of goodness.
Well I had to make up my mind, 6.5 or 308 for this hunt,, The 308 got the call. My load for this was 46 grains of Varget, CCI BR2 primers in Lapua cases. The velocity was at 2845 fps.
I shot my deer. I shot my buck at 80 yards and my doe at 240 yards. Both had pass through shots with exits, about 1 1/2 inch. Taking out ribs on both. Both deer DRT, bruck dropped at the shot the doe flipped over and stayed down.
I have confidence this bullet, I think it would work well on larger game in a 308, may be different if pushed at a higher velocity.

Take care

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I had a 6.5 PRC for a while. It's gone. Mostly about the specific rifle, not the cartridge, but there were a couple quirks along the way. First I started with Redding dies. They are not vented at the shoulder. I could not find a sweet spot where I had neither shoulder dents nor stuck cases, it was one or the other and sometimes both. Switching to RCBS dies fixed that. I like Redding dies but not this time around. frown Also, with the wide shoulder and short neck, my regular powder funnel didn't work well it'd seal against the shoulder not the neck and powder would 'scape over the top of the case mouth and down the shoulder. Fortunately I have a drop tube funnel that fit better. So, both problems solvable, but both ... irritating. (I had the same issues with the WSMs and the funnel, FWIW, not unique to 6.5 PRC.) My rifle, a Christensen Ridgeline, would not reliably shoot 1.5 MOA with the components available. The PRC seems to like slow powders .. Retumbo, H1000, RL 25 and 26, 7828, 8133, and the like and those are not available here or online so I was having to beg from friends.

For me the plus of the Creedmoor is powder selection. H4350. RL 17. H414 Medium slow powders ... stuff I have available.

The PRC is a good, practical cartridge. Basically acts like a 6.5-06 in a shorter fatter case. Give the Christensen rifle credit for feeding well and ejecting well. Mine just didn't shoot worth a [bleep]. That happens .. lemons escape the factory. If powder selection wasn't such an issue I'd have given it another try.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
The 308 got the call. My load for this was 46 grains of Varget, CCI BR2 primers in Lapua cases. The velocity was at 2845 fps.

Holy buckets! What length barrel?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
The 308 got the call. My load for this was 46 grains of Varget, CCI BR2 primers in Lapua cases. The velocity was at 2845 fps.

It's a 1-10 5R #3 Lilja at 24 inches. I was saying what my self.

Last edited by Hammerdown; 02/06/21.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Randy, interesting.

It’s on the absolute ragged edge for sure. Did you run 45.5 grs in it? I think that’s where I’d be given your reported speed. But I’m pretty conservative...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Brad, I did run 45.5 grains. It shot about a 3 inch group, 4 rounds. Then I went to 46 grains, then I shot less than 1/2 inch group for four rounds. Amazing how much it change with 1/2 grain more powder. I never did take it above 46 grains.

Those whitetails didn't like it.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
For most hunters, the 6.5 PRC is a short case hiding a 270 Win inside.

That's not to say the PRC doesn't have attributes the 270 lacks, just to say inside 5 or 600 yards any differences won't be realized except between the ears... but it will hold one or two less in the magazine and probably have a shorter barrel life.

Still, if I weren't winding all this stuff down I'd likely build one smile

You could go 6.8 Western and really channel your inner short .270 win!

I’ve debated the PRC with myself, and have decided the Creedmoor does all I need. The PRC won’t make a critter more dead, certainly not at the ranges I shoot. In fact, less recoil might even make the CM a better choice if I’m being loony.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I don't understand why this always turns into an either/or thing......

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Neither do I, but apparently just about ALL Campfire cartridge threads go that way.

I have mentioned this over the years during several threads that appeared on this forum over the years. One I particularly remember was on the .17 Hornady Magnum Rimfire, a few years after it appeared. That one quickly turned into a .17 HMR versus .22 Rimfire Magnum argument, which seemed strange to me, as I've somehow managed to afford rifles chambered for both rounds, finding each works better for certain purposes than the other.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

It's a 1-10 5R #3 Lilja at 24 inches. I was saying what my self.

That’s smoking. My Vanguard 24” 30-06 is giving 2960 with a 168 NBT. I’d have to see where my 26” 308 was at before I chopped it to 20” but that was a Rem 700 Varmint SPS with a Linda Lovelace chamber.

Talking to you is like trying to nail jello to the wall.

IC B3

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by aalf

Well, the OP posed the question of the PRC and how it may impact 6.5 Creedmoor sales.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I had a 6.5 PRC for a while. It's gone. Mostly about the specific rifle, not the cartridge, but there were a couple quirks along the way. First I started with Redding dies. They are not vented at the shoulder. I could not find a sweet spot where I had neither shoulder dents nor stuck cases, it was one or the other and sometimes both. Switching to RCBS dies fixed that. I like Redding dies but not this time around. frown Also, with the wide shoulder and short neck, my regular powder funnel didn't work well it'd seal against the shoulder not the neck and powder would 'scape over the top of the case mouth and down the shoulder. Fortunately I have a drop tube funnel that fit better. So, both problems solvable, but both ... irritating. (I had the same issues with the WSMs and the funnel, FWIW, not unique to 6.5 PRC.) My rifle, a Christensen Ridgeline, would not reliably shoot 1.5 MOA with the components available. The PRC seems to like slow powders .. Retumbo, H1000, RL 25 and 26, 7828, 8133, and the like and those are not available here or online so I was having to beg from friends.

For me the plus of the Creedmoor is powder selection. H4350. RL 17. H414 Medium slow powders ... stuff I have available.

The PRC is a good, practical cartridge. Basically acts like a 6.5-06 in a shorter fatter case. Give the Christensen rifle credit for feeding well and ejecting well. Mine just didn't shoot worth a [bleep]. That happens .. lemons escape the factory. If powder selection wasn't such an issue I'd have given it another try.

Tom

I'm going to start loading for my buddy's CA 6.5 PRC. Not sure which model he has, but his has the carbon wrapped barrel. His will shoot .75 or less 5 round groups with factory ELD-X. IIRC, his MV's were about 2860 or so; about as stated on the box. I hope I can at least duplicate that accuracy and close to that MV. The only powders I could find are 8133 and US 869. I read MD's article an handloading for the cartridge, so I'll start from there. I've heard other folks that weren't happy with CA's, but his does pretty well.

Last edited by spud06; 02/07/21. Reason: grammer

Perry
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prm
Originally Posted by aalf

Well, the OP posed the question of the PRC and how it may impact 6.5 Creedmoor sales.

Yes, that was my intent.

After reading this thread and rereading the article, I can see how the Creedmoor can stand alone. No appreciable recoil, long barrel life, lots of factory ammo and components to hand load and a moderate powder charge.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
And excellent, accurate, affordable factory ammunition.

Though 99.95% is now apparently in somebody's stash, and not so affordable....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
My little 6.5 Swede with excellent Lapua brass and 147gr ELD's at 2961 fps over H-1000 could be a contender for your consideration.

Trump Won!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

218 members (160user, 12344mag, 2500HD, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 22 invisible), 2,281 guests, and 924 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,718
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.