Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Call it a life-long dream, or call it a mid-life crisis (probably a little of both), but my hunting buddy and I want to do an Alaskan Moose hunt. We're interested in a "DIY" hunt but it would likely require booking a flight service for a drop hunt. I'd like your general advice, locations, best time to go, etc. We're in the early planning stages on this.

I have looked into several services online, such as Papa Bear, Renfros, and Willow Air. Papa Bear is the only outfit that I've contacted, and it sounds like their drop hunt costs have increased big time (10-12k for 2023), and they now hold a company lottery drawing to decide who gets to go with them. They have a great reputation & that's who I'd like to use, but man that's a lot of cash for a drop hunt.

I realize booking this year is very unlikely due to folks being booked up, but I would like to go in 2022 or 2023. Also wouldn't mind having a chance at a caribou - unless the two species don't mix territory or season dates.

Any and all comments are welcomed... tell me what I need to know.

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'm prolly way rong,but I thought in Alaska you had to have a guide or a resident to hunt certain areas and species?
I'm at the age and status in life where this could be an interesting thread.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

If that is a mid life crisis it is a good one.

Excellent choice.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
I don’t believe moose hunting requires a guide.
I have been exploring the idea too.
I will follow your thread.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I’d do a float trip. Don’t need a guide for moose, caribou , black bear in most areas

IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rong
I'm prolly way rong,but I thought in Alaska you had to have a guide or a resident to hunt certain areas and species?
I'm at the age and status in life where this could be an interesting thread.

Not for moose, caribou or black bear..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Call 40 mile air ASAP, tell them you want to hunt in unit 20E. They will know where to take you. If you are lucky the state will issue a emergency order like they did last year. To allow you to hold RC860 permit (caribou) and RM865 permit (moose) some big moose in 20E.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like adventure to the Max.

Just remember moose make elk look small !! smile

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
10-12k is awful pricey for being dropped off and hunting. That about 4k per hour in flight costs.

Those transportation costs in Alaska are stupid expensive but they got ya over a barrel and they know it. The truth is that its probably better to fly to Africa and hunt a bunch of those various antelope species and baboons and such things. Theres lots more variety of game and youll get to use the rifle more.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Sounds like adventure to the Max.

Just remember moose make elk look small !! smile

Ha! I'm afraid you're right, Bob. My days of youth are... well, they're gone, but I want to do this hunt before I can't.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 79S
Call 40 mile air ASAP, tell them you want to hunt in unit 20E. They will know where to take you. If you are lucky the state will issue a emergency order like they did last year. To allow you to hold RC860 permit (caribou) and RM865 permit (moose) some big moose in 20E.

Thanks for that recommendation - I will add them to my list of places to research. I don't think I can swing a hunt this year, however... I should (hopefully) draw the elk tag that I've been waiting 15 years for, so September 2021 will hopefully find me chasing big bulls in the quakies.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
There's a learning curve to everything, when you do things yourself the first time,

And I don't know the kill success rates that are being given to you,

But 12k is a hell of learning curve,

How important is the kill, or do you just really want the experience?

I've been on 2 Alaska hunts, and for Moose I'd likely go guided if success was a major factor.

And if doing a drop camp, I'd certainly hope your the first group there that season.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hunted with Papa Bear in 19 and am going back in 22. Yes their prices have gone up, but they provide a superb service. Their attention to detail and the quality of their area is arguably the best in the state.

Prices on everything are going up as demand exceeds supply. Just get on the list and go. A few dollars won't matter in the long run, and a near guarantee of success make it all worth it.

Remember the addage, " But once, cry once. " Good luck and on me if I can help.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by scottf270
Hunted with Papa Bear in 19 and am going back in 22. Yes their prices have gone up, but they provide a superb service. Their attention to detail and the quality of their area is arguably the best in the state.

Prices on everything are going up as demand exceeds supply. Just get on the list and go. A few dollars won't matter in the long run, and a near guarantee of success make it all worth it.

Remember the addage, " But once, cry once. " Good luck and on me if I can help.

If you don't mind me asking, ball park price for your hunt in 2022?

Never mind, I see the price above for papa bear.

Last edited by Kenneth; 02/07/21.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I would head to BC for moose and will this year assuming the border opens.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ELKiller

Any and all comments are welcomed... tell me what I need to know.

I would make sure the Canadian borders are open before I planned a trip up there ( IF you are driving...and I would cause getting the moose meat back is a priority)

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

Thanks for that recommendation - I will add them to my list of places to research. I don't think I can swing a hunt this year, however... I should (hopefully) draw the elk tag that I've been waiting 15 years for, so September 2021 will hopefully find me chasing big bulls in the quakies.

40mile I guarantee booked for this year and next year.. they are probably one of the best in the business..

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

40mile I guarantee booked for this year and next year.. they are probably one of the best in the business..

Has anyone done a float hunt with 40 Mile Air?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
tag this thread.

I hope to do this somewhere in the 2023--2026 window.

First teach a child to love God, second teach him to love family, third teach him to fish and hunt and by the time he is in his teens no dope dealer under the sun can teach him anything. Cotton Cordell
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The demand far exceeds the supply for fly-in hunts in Alaska.There's more to it than just flight time. Much time and effort is put into
building remote landing strips.

good luck with your search

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

641 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 68 invisible), 3,281 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,590
Posts18,454,293
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.