Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
In general, what's the opinion of Benchmade knives made from S30V steel?
Good value? Plenty of models in the $150 range.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
GB1

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
The only problem with Benchmades is that some don't like their political leanings. I like them, but prefer Spydercos. S30V has been known to chip a little bit if used for stuff that you probably shouldn't use a knife blade for. For cutting, it's great.

Last edited by UPhiker; 02/08/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was just building a Mini Crooked River in their Custom Shop. I'll probably stick with S30V, I like that steel and can sharpen it easily.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

Mine is excellent. Only have one from them in S30V to compare but it’s as good as the handmade knives I have in S30V. Sample of one though.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by UPhiker
The only problem with Benchmades is that some don't like their political leanings.

As someone ignorant on the matter, what are their contentious political viewpoints?

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Check out the Hogue Doug Ritter model.

Hogue picked up Doug Ritter when he and benchmade parted ways. Made in USA. Supposedly improved axis lock.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by ClassyCanids
The only problem with Benchmades is that some don't like their political leanings.

As someone ignorant on the matter, what are their contentious political viewpoints?

They donated some money to some local Dems and when a local PD needed some guns melted down, they did it for them.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Mini barrage. Carried and beat on for 6 years. Lost it twice and found it weeks later. The last time left it on my bumper and my boy found it in the road where the handle got chunked.
Tough knives. Have a spare in the drawer IF this one ever dies. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's awesome!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My EDC for years has been the Benchmade 705 McHenry & Williams axis lock (long out of production.

[Linked Image from cdn.arizonacustomknives.com]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pal
My EDC for years has been the Benchmade 705 McHenry & Williams axis lock (long out of production.

That goes back a way! I have a AFCK with M2 steel that I have packed around a bunch over the years. I had the pair, the Mini and full size AFCK. Gave the Mini to my son years ago and he still carries it occasionally.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The mini AFCK was my all time favorite edc from benchmade. I like the Valet pretty good now but mostly carry traditional slip joints

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by pal

That goes back a way! I have a AFCK with M2 steel that I have packed around a bunch over the years. I had the pair, the Mini and full size AFCK. Gave the Mini to my son years ago and he still carries it occasionally.

Goes back a long way.

The one like the photo, with the plain uncoated 454clm blade, is my very favorite. Its checkered scales are quite worn down from carrying it in my change pocket. Gets used many times a day. Have others with tanto and semi-serrated blades that don't get used any more. These are the best knives.

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ClassyCanids

They donated some money to some local Dems and when a local PD needed some guns melted down, they did it for them.

Trolled by their competitor.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I just can’t find a ZT pattern I can love. If they did I’d have one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like a few of the ZT knives. I'm not into those huge heavy duty folders that comprise much of the ZT line up. I have a 0450 and like it. I really like the looks of the 0235 slipjoint for a modern gentlemens pocket knife.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jackmountain
I just can’t find a ZT pattern I can love. If they did I’d have one.

Same here. The 450 is the closest to anything I like. Too tacti-cool and fantasy looking for my tastes. Of course, a standard issue 2 bladed trapper is about as exotic as I get.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like Benchmade knives. I started buying from them back in the nineties. I still carry two from that era. Bulletproof, and they stand behind them to this day. Free fluff and buff recently and those are like new. Today, I am carrying a mini griptilian.
I won't mention names, but the president of Benchmade, a few years ago, sent dozens of Infidel OTF automatics to an Army unit in Afghanistan in response to a Colonel's request that Benchmade sell him a few to issue to Blackhawk crew chiefs. There are times when an automatic really is needed in that job. The knives were sent free. No publicity was every sought. I like that kind of statement from a company.

Sam......

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I have had a few ZT's. I got a gifted 0770 since I know someone at ZT. I liked the weight but not the blade shape. Then I got a 0350. I liked the blade but not the weight. My latest is the 0357. I love it. CPM 20CV steel. Lightweight. The little concave back of the blade fits my thumb perfectly when I want to choke up. It's my EDC now. I'll admit that it doesn't look the best, but it sure feels great in my hand.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Been carrying either a Griptilian (9551BKSN) or a mini Grip (556BKSN) as edc for close to 20 years now. Workhorses.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I have carried a Benchmade folder for over 27 years.
The carbon fiber scales have worn smooth.
I have used and abused it.

Recently, I chipped off 1/8” of the tip.
I sent it in and they reground the tip to look like new, cleaned and sharpened the knife and sent it back, for free.
How much is that knife worth ?
Almost 3 decades of service and it is ready for more.

If I ever buy another folder, it will be a Benchmade.

MOLON LABE
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
[Linked Image]
The above mentioned, 27 year old Benchmade, with re ground tip

Last edited by Anaconda; 02/13/21.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Anaconda
[Linked Image]

That is an AFCK. Cutting edge, top of the line at one time and still an excellent knife.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I’ve actually settled on a ZT 0456 for my EDC and I’ve carried a bunch of different ones over the years. Been carrying this one for a couple years now. Love the heavy duty build of the blade on this one and even though I know better than using a knife as a pry bar unfortunately I still do it. I guess because I get in a hurry sometimes and I always have a knife with me. 🤷‍♂️ This knife rides in my pocket very well considering the size! I’m getting to where I like a little heavier duty knife for work applications. I have several ZTs and the 0801bw is a close runner up. ZT makes a helluva working mans blade in my opinion!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
benchmade user for 20 yrs, currently have been carrying the bugout as an EDC and can't find anything not to like about it. if i lose it i'll buy another.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just received a Mini Crooked River from the Custom Shop. That knife was so impressive I ordered a Bugout from the Custom Shop this evening.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
So what is different about them coming from their custom shop? Sorry, I own a lot of knives but never have owned a Benchmade because I can’t seem to find any I think I’d like.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Smorgasbord. You get to build your knife to suit you. Choose your blade steel from several options, coated or not, serrated or not. Handle materials and colors, liner and screw colors, clip choices, ect. I have used the Buck Custom Shop for a half dozen 110's and now the Benchmade Custom Shop and the knives that come from the CS are not only exactly your own choices but the fit and finish is superb, the locks and actions perfectly timed with zero play, ect. You pay more because the knife starts at MSRP price and some of those choices have extra cost over standard factory offerings. As an example, upgrading blade steel will cost extra. At the Buck CS an upgrade of blade steel from the factory 420 HC to S30V or 20CV is a worthwhile investment in my opinion. At Benchmade I didn't upgrade from S30V to 20CV or M4 because it is a $60 uptick in price and for an EDC that will not be required to do any heavy duty chores it wasn't worth it to me. The Benchmade S30V will do a great job for the cutting these knives will do. Delivery within a couple weeks time from the order. Choices are fun!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The clip came off mine. I contacted the company to see if they could repair it for me. I got the snarky reply "Sorry, but we don't do service on those as they are discontinued." So I threw it in a drawer and bought me a SpyderCo.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Caplock
The clip came off mine. I contacted the company to see if they could repair it for me. I got the snarky reply "Sorry, but we don't do service on those as they are discontinued."...

How was that reply snarky?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought an AFO model and never cared for the knife. I didn't care for the action or the ergonomics. I bought the knife on line and would have never bought it if I had handled it first. I gave the knife away and have never missed it. I do understand they are very good at cutting up firearms.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Caplock
The clip came off mine. I contacted the company to see if they could repair it for me. I got the snarky reply "Sorry, but we don't do service on those as they are discontinued." So I threw it in a drawer and bought me a SpyderCo.

seriously? That certainly does not match the response from them when I sent two 25+ year old discontinued knives back for service. In my case, they were very eager to fix both old times up as good as new.

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by Anaconda
[Linked Image]

That is an AFCK. Cutting edge, top of the line at one time and still an excellent knife.

I have one just like that. ATS34 steel

Sam......

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I know that I'm in the minority, but I've had back locks, liner locks, frame locks and Axis locks and I think that I prefer the original frame locks. It just seems like there's less to go wrong, no lint inside, no parts wearing, etc.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Frame lock here too. Simple and clean.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I like Benchmade knives. I started buying from them back in the nineties. I still carry two from that era. Bulletproof, and they stand behind them to this day. Free fluff and buff recently and those are like new. Today, I am carrying a mini griptilian.
I won't mention names, but the president of Benchmade, a few years ago, sent dozens of Infidel OTF automatics to an Army unit in Afghanistan in response to a Colonel's request that Benchmade sell him a few to issue to Blackhawk crew chiefs. There are times when an automatic really is needed in that job. The knives were sent free. No publicity was every sought. I like that kind of statement from a company.

That's called marketing you stupid fugk.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Benchmade makes some of the best folders out there.

Period.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

My EDC for the past 10 or so years is a min-barrage w/ orange scales and S30V blade. When I dress up for fancy dates, I carry a min-barrage with tan scales.

The S30V, sharpened to 22.5 degrees on a Gatco type sharpener has a near surgical sharpness and still holds it's edge very well. Very toothy that really slices well in whatever you're cutting.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Been carrying Benchmade for years, I really like my griptillian with the D2 steel, I have an infidel as well. Tough durable knives

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Had a full 8 dog team of malamutes on the trail. About 1400 lbs of psycho. Had a female go into heat on the trail. Team was uncontrollable. They broke my sled into a spruce tree. A fight broke out between the female in heat and another dog.

Eventually repaired the sled, put the female in heet at the back of the team in wheel position. Tied the sled off to a ski doo skandik wide track and had the guy ride the break. Once he got me out of thick wooded section of the trail, out came the benchmade griptillian.

One hand on the handle bar, open that sucker one handed. Touched that blade to the tie off. That sled shot out like a rocket ship. Again, one handed, retracted that fkn blade fast as i could, clipped it back in my pocket, and held on for dear life. Only real one handed choice for a lefty. The axis lock is the best.

I couldnt begin to count the thousands of lbs of caribou, moose, beaver, sheefish and northern pike this griptillian has cut through.

Many years ago, had a loose cannon, violent, 6 ft 5 dude try to take a bemchmade knife out of my hand in anger. Cut his fkn finger off and told him to never try to take a knife from me again.

I can recall some tense moments where a benchmade knife prevailed.

That female in heet off to the right in wheel position:

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have a Bugout that has been my EDC for the last year. One of my hobbies is knife making so I have a 2x72" belt grinder. I like a SHARP pocket knife so I thinned the blade above the edge and put a convex edge on it. Every day or two I strop it and it stays shaving sharp. Does all the normal stuff and has skinned and quartered deer, pronghorn and pigs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 222ND, 12344mag, 2003and2013, 10Glocks, 70 invisible), 2,558 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,176
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.