Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
A
+1 end user who appreciates your efforts MCMXI!

I have the 6.5 Creed Hunter & am loving it.

Did remove the gel & bed the recoil lug & first couple inches of barrel.
I also installed a 9” carbon fiber tube & Acraglas into the forearm, which in my case made it stiff enough that I couldn’t easily squeeze the forearm & barrel together with my relatively weak fist. Relocated the front sling swivel lug to the tip of the forearm while I was at it. Now the swivel lug never impacts my hand.

None of that diminishes the excellence of your design! Way less “tuning” work than any other polymer stock I’ve ever dealt with. I usually just throw ‘em out.
In fact, I expected to do just that when I bought this gun, but was very pleasantly surprised.

THANKS!

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by MCMXI
I think it's interesting to learn about some other aspects of the stock that might not be obvious. For example, the pillars have line contact with the receiver and are the same length front and rear which necessitated designing new action screws. You might wonder why the stocks are made this way and the truth is that the molding vendor requested this because they didn't want their operators to have to place different pillars in the correct locations in the mold. They asked for an idiot proof design and so one pillar was designed that requires no specific indexing, orientation or location. This is an example of where a decision was made simply to help the vendor.

Love hearing the background on these things.
Thanks for taking the time to share!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Anteloper
+1 end user who appreciates your efforts MCMXI!

I have the 6.5 Creed Hunter & am loving it.

Did remove the gel & bed the recoil lug & first couple inches of barrel.
I also installed a 9” carbon fiber tube & Acraglas into the forearm, which in my case made it stiff enough that I couldn’t easily squeeze the forearm & barrel together with my relatively weak fist. Relocated the front sling swivel lug to the tip of the forearm while I was at it. Now the swivel lug never impacts my hand.

None of that diminishes the excellence of your design! Way less “tuning” work than any other polymer stock I’ve ever dealt with. I usually just throw ‘em out.
In fact, I expected to do just that when I bought this gun, but was very pleasantly surprised.

THANKS!

Thanks again. I wonder how much of the movement was the barrel flexing and how much was the stock flexing. If you ever want to add rubber back it's a product called PT-FLEX 60. It took a while to find a solution that would add weight, damp vibration, couldn't shoot loose, couldn't be "easily" removed and didn't cost much. It adds $4 to $5 to the cost of the stock.

Offering FFL 07 & SOT services in NW Montana
[email protected]
A
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
A
AlI I know for sure is the before & after;

Before, they could easily be squeezed together & after, they couldn’t.
The “couple inches out” of bedding did provide a platform which reduced the length available for either barrel or forearm to meet each other. Did eliminate some weird flyers.

Would you personally leave the PT-Flex in a Hunter stock?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Anteloper
AlI I know for sure is the before & after;

Before, they could easily be squeezed together & after, they couldn’t.
The “couple inches out” of bedding did provide a platform which reduced the length available for either barrel or forearm to meet each other. Did eliminate some weird flyers.

Would you personally leave the PT-Flex in a Hunter stock?

It's hard to argue with empirical data.

I was never in favor of adding weight to the Hunter stock or doing anything to make the Hunter less than the Montana but I was in the minority. I wanted to dampen the stock if possible, but not necessarily at the expense of adding weight. That said, the dense rubber does reduce some flex in the stock under recoil, and when the vendor moved all of the rubber to the butt cavity a couple of years ago i.e. removed the "window" between the butt and wrist, it improved accuracy/precision by a few tenths at least. My explanation for this is that the wrist is already stiff due to wall thickness and geometry whereas the butt is nowhere near as stiff. So adding all 8oz of the rubber to the butt cavity increases the amount if support inside the butt and reduces stock flex under recoil. Personally I wouldn't remove the rubber because there are some advantages to it being there, and I'm not fanatical about the overall weight.

The reason why the vendor wanted to close up the window between the wrist and butt cavities is so that they could ultrasonically weld on the grip cap prior to adding the PT-FLEX 60. The grip cap on the Hunter was supposed to be a SHOT show thing only due to a very tight timeline but years later it's still there. I had nice domed shaped grip caps with logos modeled and quoted but never could get anyone to sign off on the upgrade.

[email protected]
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Here are a couple of the 84M Hunter .223 Rem prototype magazines (3D printed parts) that worked well. They're shown with a 55gr Remington factory load and an 80gr A-MAX handload. The Hunter magazine parts are all nylon 6,6 and the insert would have been made from the same material. If someone had access to a 3D printer it wouldn't be impossible to build a Hunter in .223 Rem. It was frustrating to know that it would have been "cheap" to introduce an 84M Hunter in .223 Rem. It would only have required a new barrel, magazine follower and magazine insert with virtually no risk. The only tooling costs would have been new molds for the follower and insert which are relatively cheap. The only likely complaint would have been that the bolt travel was longer than necessary since it would have been built on the standard 84M receiver.

[Linked Image from thr.mcmxi.org]

[Linked Image from thr.mcmxi.org]

[email protected]
A
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
A
Too bad they wouldn’t listen. That sure would’ve been cool.

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Tag

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
IMO, it was/is super foolish to not allow the adoption of the .223 to the 84M platform.

Fast twist with ample magazine length on the 84M is an easy sell - and it sounds like it's an easy transition for the company.... I'd drop whatever I was doing and buy one of those in a heartbeat!

There's a lot of money changing hands every year to create custom rifles with these very features.

I HOPE the Kimber folks are paying attention....

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
IMO, it was/is super foolish to not allow the adoption of the .223 to the 84M platform.

Fast twist with ample magazine length on the 84M is an easy sell - and it sounds like it's an easy transition for the company.... I'd drop whatever I was doing and buy one of those in a heartbeat!

There's a lot of money changing hands every year to create custom rifles with these very features.

They did offer a 223 Rem in an 84M
You must be referring to current offerings. I have handled one in a Classic Select. It was a sexy MFer too

Last edited by BobBrown; 02/08/21.

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BobBrown

You must be referring to current offerings. I have one in a Classic Select. It’s one sexy MFer too

Good catch.

Yeah, I should have said "Hunter" platform, as they did chamber the Montana and still chamber a Pro Varmint model. I was not aware that they chambered the Classic Select in .223, once upon a time.

BT53

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

The price tag says "Montana", but the rifle say 84L = Hunter.

That rifle cost $839 at a gun store.

It costs me a lot more than that to build a rifle on pre 64 M70 action.

And the Kimber 280AI shoots better than rifles I build at that weight.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
tag

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by BobBrown

You must be referring to current offerings. I have one in a Classic Select. It’s one sexy MFer too

Good catch.

Yeah, I should have said "Hunter" platform, as they did chamber the Montana and still chamber a Pro Varmint model. I was not aware that they chambered the Classic Select in .223, once upon a time.

They made 223 Classic Selects.

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Speaking of Kimber Montanas, I am a fan. I've got a few, and am looking for a couple more in certain calibers.

We known specific calibers have been inexplicably discontinued - .25-06 and .223 are just two examples. But, lately, I hardly see any Montanas available in any caliber. That's for both new and used. What's up with that? Covid? The move to Alabama? Kimber is phasing them out? Something else? Anyone know?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by shinbone
Speaking of Kimber Montanas, I am a fan. I've got a few, and am looking for a couple more in certain calibers.

We known specific calibers have been inexplicably discontinued - .25-06 and .223 are just two examples. But, lately, I hardly see any Montanas available in any caliber. That's for both new and used. What's up with that? Covid? The move to Alabama? Kimber is phasing them out? Something else? Anyone know?

As far as seems apparent, they have no particular concern for the customer. They have very good rifles, but don't have a clue how to operate a business.

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
I called the closest Kimber master dealer and was told the Montana has been discontinued. I was really disappointed, but I found a used one in .260 Remington, which is on its way to me. Now all I need is bullets!

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
what could have been.... a fast twist 223 84m with room in the mag box.

buncha clowns running the place by the sounds of it

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Clarkm
[Linked Image]

The price tag says "Montana", but the rifle say 84L = Hunter.

That rifle cost $839 at a gun store.

It costs me a lot more than that to build a rifle on pre 64 M70 action.

And the Kimber 280AI shoots better than rifles I build at that weight.

84L is just a long action, while 84M is their short action. The rifle pictured has a Montana stock and appears to be a Kimber Montana not a Kimber Hunter.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ndbowhunter
what could have been.... a fast twist 223 84m with room in the mag box.

buncha clowns running the place by the sounds of it

I’m amazed that something so obvious and so easily obtained, is being frivolous cast aside.....?

Toss a few samples in outdoor writers hands and watch the rave reviews roll in.

Sales would be screaming for more inventorying!

BT53

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 57 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,661
Posts18,455,712
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.