Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
EastMS Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Has anybody used the 175gr Hornady out of a 7mm Rem Magnum on deer? I have a couple hundred and thought they would make a good load if I can get them close to 2900fps.

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have on one deer and one elk. Did not get an exit on either. Shot the deer twice once a high spine hit and the second through the brisket as the deer was thrashing around laying on it's side. Load was 64.0 grains of R22 (work up), CCI mag primer and the 175 gr. Hornady Spire point. This was a while back and they may have changed them since. Price on the box those bullets came out of is $11.25.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

E
EastMS Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Thank you. Sounds Ike they are softer than I thought. I was concerned they might be too tough for good expansion on deer.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
That’s a lot of cartridge for deer.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by EastMS
Thank you. Sounds Ike they are softer than I thought. I was concerned they might be too tough for good expansion on deer.

I used the same bullet out of my 7x57 with good results and better penetration. Actually I got good results in all cases just not exits.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Yeah boy they are good. I loaded some for elk and then tested them in a clay bank for expansion. They were surprisingly close to a Nosler Partition both in expansion and toughness. Some the core were loose in the jacket but they still stayed together. The 175 H is a favorite for hogs of all sizes. I have never had one fail to expand on even small deer. They work well but unless bone is hit they don't ruin a lot of meat. They are also stout enough the angle does not make much difference either, a good balance like the Partition.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Yes I have and they are great. More power then you need, but so what? "Overgunned" is not a problem if you shoot well. I have killed a large number of deer and antelope with rifles far more powerful and no game ever because un-dead after I killed them because others thought my weapon was too powerful.

It's been over 35 years, but when I used them in 4 different 7s I never had a complaint. I have used both the old 175 gr RN and the spire points to kill deer from all these: 7X57, 280, 7MM Rem Mag 7MMWeatherby Mag.

In addition I also killed 2 elk with them, one from the 7X57 and one from a 7MM Weatherby. On elk they may be in "2nd place" as compared to a 175 Gr Nosler Partition because they might loose the core on raking shots, but that's theory only. From what I've seen there is no complaints to be lodged by me.

On deer I doubt you would ever recover one, so I am of the opinion they are fully as effective as Partitions on any game up to about 300-350 pounds because once you get good expansion and 100% penetration with an exit, the hole is made. It's the bullet hole that does the killing, not the bullet.
Now I could be wrong because I have not killed truck-loads of deer with them, but unlike Rick300 I had all mine exit. After a bullet exits it really doesn't matter how much it weighs. It left a hole clear through and that's as good as you can get.

I think if you try them you'll love them too.

Last edited by szihn; 01/23/21.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by szihn
Yes I have and they are great. More power then you need, but so what? "Overgunned" is not a problem if you shoot well. I have killed a large number of deer and antelope with rifles far more powerful and no game ever because un-dead after I killed them because others thought my weapon was too powerful.

It's been over 35 years, but when I used them in 4 different 7s I never had a complaint. I have used both the old 175 gr RN and the spire points to kill deer from all these: 7X57, 280, 7MM Rem Mag 7MMWeatherby Mag.

In addition I also killed 2 elk with them, one from the 7X57 and one from a 7MM Weatherby. On elk they may be in "2nd place" as compared to a 175 Gr Nosler Partition because they might loose the core on raking shots, but that's theory only. From what I've seen there is no complaints to be lodged by me.

On deer I doubt you would ever recover one, so I am of the opinion they are fully as effective as Partitions on any game up to about 300-350 pounds because once you get good expansion and 100% penetration with an exit, the hole is made. It's the bullet hole that does the killing, not the bullet.
Now I could be wrong because I have not killed truck-loads of deer with them, but unlike Rick300 I had all mine exit. After a bullet exits it really doesn't matter how much it weighs. It left a hole clear through and that's as good as you can get.

I think if you try them you'll love them too.

I did recover all four bullets I shot at the one elk and the one deer. I did hit bone every shot with the 7MM RM. That said I immediately switched to 160 gr. Partitions and lived happily ever after during the time I was using my 7 RM for everything. The ones I used in the 7 RM must have been from an early lot and they were soft. Still have what is left of them. It does say Interlock in one place on the bottom of the box. I am a fan of Hornady Spire point bullets and use plenty of them.

E
EastMS Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Thanks to all of you. Sounds like they'll work for what I need. I have some RL22 to try with it.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
East

Killed a couple if elk, a caribou, and deer with the Sierra 175 SBT. out of my Rem 7 Mag. Seems to be a pretty tough bullet as I found them on the off side tag pretty much together.

For the last few years have been using 175 Partitions in Green timber and the 175 ABLR. in open country.

Lefty C

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Ok that makes more sense to me now. Of all those I killed except one, only ribs were hit. On a few I didn't even hit a rib going in.
That one was with a 175 Gr Round Nose. It broke the shoulder bone on the off side and I still got an exit, but the path went sharply downward, so I know the bullet turned in that last few inches and made an elongated hole in the hide about 2-1/2" long and 1 inch wide. Range was pretty close, about 50-60 yards I'd guess

Still,--- it did exit.

If I were to go back to those guns I am sure I too would probably stick with 160 and 175 grain Partitions for elk and stay with what I know works. But from the deer kills I have in my past I had no complaints against the Hornady 175s.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I shot a couple cow elk with them and they were ok. I switched to the 160 Partitions at 3000 fps for elk. The 175s should be good for deer. I think that I only shot one doe with them. I used Reloder 25 and also found that with Reloder 33, I could get over 3000 fps with them. I would load them around 2900 for deer and it will be great.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If you are afraid to use the .284 Hornady 175gr bullets I would be happy to buy them. Seriously! Daryl

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I was going to say.... even out of a 7 Rem Mag, if you shot them at 2000 fps, and you are shooting a deer at 100 to 200 yds, that bullet would work out just fine...

was testing out a load for some one young, with a 7 x 57 and that 175 gr SP Hornady...

shot over a chrony at 1850 fps a couple of feet in front of the muzzle...

for a back stop I was using a tree as a backstop at about 100 yds, out in our millions of miles of forest here locally...

5 shots to verify the load....just for grins and giggles, I walked out to look at the backstop tree... a manzanita... say about 18 inches in diameter..

there were 5 exit holes on the back side of the tree... and they each were pretty good size exit holes...

later tried the same thing to see what it would do on a similar sized pine.. Actually a Douglas fir....

same results...

so you'll be fine with that bullet....

also rocketed them out of a 7 Mag doing load development for some friends going elk hunting......

same results... that bullet has a lot of sectional density...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

E
EastMS Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Thanks to everyone that has responded. I ended up with 200 and thought they would be worth trying.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Doesn’t take much to kill a deer, they will work fine.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have used the 154’s with great success but not the 175’s. Though they should work very well.

NRA Endowment Member
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been shooting a 7mm Mag for 44 years. Started out with the 175s and took a lot of deer, elk and pronghorn with those bullets in my native CO. But on a lark about 20 years ago I loaded some 160 gr Nosler partitions and was sold on them immediately. I got better accuracy and they shot flatter. Now I use the 160 gr Accubond because they shoot even better than the partitions. In my mind bullet about 160 gr are perfect for the 7mm Mag but if I had a bunch of 175s I wouldn't hesitate to load them up and go shoot game with them.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’ll use Hornady on paper and small game but after testing them they don’t instill confidence in me. I know that it’s only my opinion and I’m not knocking Hornady but for the calibers I hunt I have confidence in the A-Frame, Partition, TBBC, TSX/TTSX.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great bullet in a great caliber. Excellent long range capabilities, definite overkill on deer at under 300 yds.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

579 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 1Akshooter, 1badf350, 160user, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 2,143 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,300
Posts18,449,033
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.