Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Cause wind has much more effect on impact than spin drift. And if your zeroed at 5 on some windless day?? you have any spin drift compensated for with the zero.
Now you still have to call the wind, when it appears...which it will.
If you watch the mirage move through a spotting scope, even at 200 yrds with a mild 5-7 mph wind, full value or other wise, you`ll forget about spin drift.

Fun and interesting to talk about, but IME, application gets lost in the wind....or is it "Gone with the Wind"?

YMMV

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
WAM,

I have also published articles and book chapters about the problem with making accuracy judgments on 3-shot groups. Among other things, a professional statistician I'm acquainted with calculated that the average point-of-impact from several 3-shot groups will vary around .7 inch at 100 yards, which doesn't help much when calculating downrange spin-drift.

Will also note that Elmer Keith, who did quite a bit of long-range target shooting, and what was considered long-range big game hunting back in his day, preferred to sight-in his long-range hunting rifles 3 inches high at 100 yards--and half an inch to the left, to compensate for spin-drift with a typical RH twist barrel.
Thanks for that last nugget. DIdn't know that.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
After 49 years of big game hunting, and guiding well over 150 hunters in the past, it's my opinion that the vast majority of hunters, especially those that aspire to excel at extended ranges, don't shoot well enough to know whether it's spin drift, wind, shooter error, bad ammo, poor form, scope issues, mount issues, etc. I've killed well over 300 head of big game and didn't even spin drift existed until reading about it a year or so ago. Therefore in my world it's a big non issue.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Egad man, how did you ever do it?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGRaider
After 49 years of big game hunting, and guiding well over 150 hunters in the past, it's my opinion that the vast majority of hunters, especially those that aspire to excel at extended ranges, don't shoot well enough to know whether it's spin drift, wind, shooter error, bad ammo, poor form, scope issues, mount issues, etc. I've killed well over 300 head of big game and didn't even spin drift existed until reading about it a year or so ago. Therefore in my world it's a big non issue.

And without a Creedmore, who thought this possible?

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
Cause wind has much more effect on impact than spin drift. And if your zeroed at 5 on some windless day?? you have any spin drift compensated for with the zero.
If you watch the mirage move through a spotting scope, even at 200 yrds with a mild 5-7 mph wind, full value or other wise, you`ll forget about spin drift.

Fun and interesting to talk about, but IME, application gets lost in the wind....or is it "Gone with the Wind"?

YMMV

This^^^^^

Here are results from the ballistics program for my 6 Creed at 500 yards. Spin drift is 1.13 inches at 500 yds. Adding only a 1 mph crosswind completely offsets the spin drift. I spend quite a bit of time shooting at long range steel and I can say with certainty I can’t read a 1 mph wind in hunting conditions.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

------------------------
John
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jmh3

YMMV

This^^^^^

Here are results from the ballistics program for my 6 Creed at 500 yards. Spin drift is 1.13 inches at 500 yds. Adding only a 1 mph crosswind completely offsets the spin drift. I spend quite a bit of time shooting at long range steel and I can say with certainty I can’t read a 1 mph wind in hunting conditions.

The choice of bullet matters. Spin drift is a relatively small effect, but the ratio of spin drift vs. wind drift gets higher when the BC of your bullet increases, possibly to the point of no longer being lost in the noise.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
SWAG'ing it I guess !

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
That`s interesting. Any numbers suggesting when that could happen?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Welcome to the "Fire" White Feather!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That`s interesting. Any numbers suggesting when that could happen?

It's really only likely in the case of very little wind. Spin drift is proportional to SG and also to TOF^1.83, and wind drift is proportional to (TOF - TOF_vacuum), so in the case where bullet BC, bullet length, and muzzle velocity maximize SG and TOF, while minimizing (TOF - TOF_vacuum), spin drift becomes most significant compared to wind drift.

As an example of when spin drift can matter, consider the 120 gr 7mm VM leaving the barrel at 2975 fps. In SAC, an 8" RH twist results in 20.4" of spin drift at 1000 meters. Each 1 mph of wind is responsible for 16.3" of wind drift, so with a 9 o'clock 1 mph wind the total drift is 36.7" to the right. But if instead you have a 3 o'clock 1 mph wind, your total drift is 4.2". So if you were to mistakenly assume a 0 mph wind, and if you don't account for spin drift, you could be off by nearly 3 feet of drift to the right. It's an issue similar to tolerance stacking, where if unaccounted for the small errors can stack up to create a large error.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well dang, might as well throw in Coriolis effect while your at it.

Swifty
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
JMHO-
I make my judgment for my own hunting rifles
with 1 shot from a cold barrel. That's the only
one that counts for my purposes.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Well, you got me thinking. Shooting the 308 in HP at 600 and Palma matches,8,9, and 1k, wind was always a factor at the rifle ranges where I shot. Watching the flags helped, and when I got my zero, I tried to shoot the same conditions, not always possible in the alloted time frame. Knew of SD, but never really corrected for it.
But, a few weeks ago I took the 7 Rem Mag to a local power line, I can get almost 1900 yrds out of it, for something to do. Had 180 grn. Hybrid Target bullets at 3020 loaded. Set a milk jug at 1k. Conditions were damned near perfect, overcast, very lite wind that looked and felt like it was at 12 O`clock. Ran in my elevation, no wind correction. First shot was just high, but right..with this rifle I can spot my impacts at that distance..corrected with the reticule, 2nd was just left, third was a hit. I`d thought I`d missed wind call my 1st shot, thinking about it now, I believe I missed SD.
Thanks for the explanation.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, you got me thinking. Shooting the 308 in HP at 600 and Palma matches,8,9, and 1k, wind was always a factor at the rifle ranges where I shot. Watching the flags helped, and when I got my zero, I tried to shoot the same conditions, not always possible in the alloted time frame. Knew of SD, but never really corrected for it.
But, a few weeks ago I took the 7 Rem Mag to a local power line, I can get almost 1900 yrds out of it, for something to do. Had 180 grn. Hybrid Target bullets at 3020 loaded. Set a milk jug at 1k. Conditions were damned near perfect, overcast, very lite wind that looked and felt like it was at 12 O`clock. Ran in my elevation, no wind correction. First shot was just high, but right..with this rifle I can spot my impacts at that distance..corrected with the reticule, 2nd was just left, third was a hit. I`d thought I`d missed wind call my 1st shot, thinking about it now, I believe I missed SD.
Thanks for the explanation.

You sure? I mentioned above to bring up Coriolis Effect. Good read if you care to.

Long Range Shooting: External Ballistics – The Coriolis Effect

Swifty
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
There have been so few times I`ve shot in near perfect conditions, that I plum forgot about SD, not to mention Coriolis, and still concentrate on breaking a good shot. Which is another variable in the mix.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Boxers or briefs? Spin or wind? Shoot to the left in the southern hemisphere.

E
ERK Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
E
WOW! What a non subject. Edk

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 163bc, 12344mag, 160user, 73 invisible), 2,686 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,540
Posts18,453,105
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.