Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
We have our name in the hat for an upcoming litter of Lab pups. The entire litter will be yellows and fox reds. My idea of a Lab has always been a black Lab, so this pup will certainly change my perspective. I was just wondering if the folks on the Fire had any preferences as to the color of a Labrador. In all truthfulness, I have never been a big Lab fan, but this pup has me and my family pretty excited.

BP-B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

I prefer chocolate because they hide so easily where I hunt.

Personality traits are not linked to color genes.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I had a foxy red with a pink nose! Best bird dog I owned. I

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Black and Yellow! Chocolates are ok. After that they are breeding for color and a lot is lost.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We have an 8 yr old Black female and a 4 yr old chocolate male. The black female sheds hair like crazy and stays wet for hours after swimming in the creek. The chocolate sheds very little and is almost dry after shaking off and s as 10 min walk. Black gal is by Far the smartest dog I’ve ever owned. The chocolate is the craziest. Both are excellent bird dogs in my opinion.

CK
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yellow is a recessive gene in labs from what I understand, but they're my favorite anyhow. Chocolates have genes even more removed from the original breeding, I believe.
Hell, I don't know. I do love me some labs though.

I've hunted over the gamut of all colors including red and white, and I found no correlation between their color and their personality or hunting ability. Some are absolutely retarded and some are really smart. Most are in between. Their (non-color) genes may be the biggest factor, much like with people.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Presently have a chocolate and black. Have had yellow. Color doesn't matter as they all have their own personalities and are loved like kids.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've had em all. This time I looked for a yellow and waited until I found the right litter. He just turned three but he's the best I've ever had.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Don't know if it makes any difference to the doves or waterfowl but it seems to me a yellow would blend in to more terrain than a black from above. I've only owned blacks or yellows, four blacks two yellows. They've all had some differences in personality but were good hunters and overall typical Labs. One yellow, a $100 female with a not so great pedigree, took a little more time but by the end of her second year was as good an overall hunter as any.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Chocolate for the win!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Good looking dogs.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
Good looking dogs.

If that was for me, thank you. Pic is of three generations of a line I've been working on. Pic taken camping after a 10 mile hike.. well 10 for me.
Here's the 4th generation, and she's a killer. Will be having a litter this late spring.
Dan
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's time to get our four year old Black Lab female a companion. We went and met a breeder yesterday. She's got a litter of Yellows due next week. After losing Joe, who's my avatar, I really wanted another Yellow male. Then we had the opportunity to get a pup from a really well bred all Black litter. Growing up we had one Yellow and the rest were all Black. I don't know how I never noticed, but the black hair is much easier to deal with than the white. Maybe if I wore more white leisure suits I'd feel differently. I'm not sure what were going to do.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
longarm,

That was for your dogs. Your 4th gen. female has got the "look". I've got an 18 month black male that has that same look in it's eye, saying shoot something. It's good when you find they've got the drive and better when they get a little older and mellow out some.

TimberRunner,

Your yellow looks like the one we lost Dec 26-2020. He's a good looking dog too. That goose he's holding appears to be still alive but he's got it under control.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 02/12/21.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The yellow hair is wild. It's always blowing out and to me seems way worse than the other colors.

Thanks for the kind words 43. That was after about a 350 yard blind. It helped that the white goose was sitting on an open sheet of water but he did good on that one. Hes young in that pic, he's filled out a bit more. As my vet told me at the end of duck season, "he's fit and looks good but could stand to eat a bon - bon or two and it wouldn't hurt him." 😀

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I probably should run him in some hunt tests. I haven't played that game for a while but he's really good and I'm pretty sure I could title him with very little work. For some reason these days I'm just interested in hunting them and don't care about the games as much.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I love all the Labs I've met and worked with. But for the dog's safety I prefer a color that stands out against the typical hunting terrain in the area.

So I'd prefer a black or red or choco Lab in places where the main bird hunting may be on snowy backgrounds, or in CA where the usual background is often yellowed dead grass or brown desert soil. In dark green places like the Southeast, a yellow or white Lab would be fine.

Understand that obedience is also a major safety factor, so a good learner is paramount and a more important factor overall than color, for sure. But in over sixty years of bird hunting I have seen what a shotgun does to a good dog, and ANYTHING that avoids that is desirable. If you can't see them, it makes it more likely that you or somebody else might shoot them.

(To me the PURTIEST are the yellow fellows....).

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Labs are my favorite dogs. I like yellow best but black and chocolate are fine too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am getting pick of the litter on an upcoming breeding.
I am going to get another yellow male.
They blend in so much better in corn stalks.
The sire is a half brother to my departed Trap.
He's 85 pounds, and the dam is long legged and 70 lbs.
We've decided on a call name of Finn.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Best of luck splatter!!!!!

Molon Labe
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (10gaugemag, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 222ND, 16penny, 75 invisible), 2,754 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,627
Posts18,398,735
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.