sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by ironbender
This is the one I found in an old camp.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This is one similar to the one posted above.

None of my black CI is chinee. sse gives me crapola because I bought a Lodge enamel DO. Those are made in virus land, but to Lodge specs. Very differenter from schit companies that import crap chinee CI.

i see nothing wong

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by rosco1
sse, sometimes people will just give them away!

Originally Posted by Poconojack

Downsizing, just sold well over 100 lbs. of Griswold that I collected over the years.

πŸ™‹πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ Any oval roasters in that pile?

Set of early 20’s wagners I’m working on

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Good friend paid $600.00 for a beautiful Griswold No. 9 with the trivet up at Bouckville the year before last.
I had/have some very nice pieces, but no oval roasters. Always had a thing for pre-Griswold β€˜ERIE’ iron. Used to find a lot of it at the local markets here in PA, not anymore.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

None of my black CI is chinee. sse gives me crapola because I bought a Lodge enamel DO. Those are made in virus land, but to Lodge specs. Very differenter from schit companies that import crap chinee CI.

I have one of those chyna enameled lodges too. That camp find is a nice one. Manufactured 1909-1920 . Not that you asked but The β€œ1891” was made in the 90’s by the company that ruined Wagner .

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

I have one of those chyna enameled lodges too. That camp find is a nice one. Manufactured 1909-1920 . Not that you asked but The β€œ1891” was made in the 90’s by the company that ruined Wagner .

Thanks for the info.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Sweet cutting board.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
LOL. Thanks!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have one of those chyna enameled lodges too.

this is just wong

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Not that you asked but The β€œ1891” was made in the 90’s by the company that ruined Wagner .

i have 3 of those, 12" skillets, one with a smooth surface, one rough, one smooth surface with the label still on it, they're great

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by sse
Not that you asked but The β€œ1891” was made in the 90’s by the company that ruined Wagner .

i have 3 of those, 12" skillets, one with a smooth surface, one rough, one smooth surface with the label still on it, they're great

They made a whole line of the 1891 anniversary, they’re getting harder to find because collectors are starting to gobble them up.

Only late Wagner piece I kept. use it as a humidifier on the wood stove.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Dang, ib. Nice stuff. That one from the old cap looks real good now.

I got a couple I picked up I need to clean up.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
We rode into this old camp to check it out for future. I stepped off my horse to tie him on a tree and felt a really flat β€œrock” underfoot. Bent down to see what kind of rock was so flat, and that’s what I found.

Put it in the charcoal ashes of the campfire to reduce the iron oxide which helped a lot. Did a complete cleanup at home.

We figured some party had fully loaded horses and tried to drop some weight. There were folding chairs, a tent, silverware, in the weeds too.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our deer camp had a beautiful Griswold 14 skillet. It made a hell of a lot of food. It was the biggest cast iron skillet I’ve seen. You could fry a pound of bacon and still have room for the eggs!

One year it just disappeared.

β€œLife is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
They made a whole line of the 1891 anniversary, they’re getting harder to find because collectors are starting to gobble them up.

surprised to hear that, for years they have been trashed as poor quality, yada yada...see it on FB and web sites

the skillets have the most ergonomic shaped handle i've ever seen, curved, with a spot to put your thumb for stability...love em

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Our deer camp had a beautiful Griswold 14 skillet. It made a hell of a lot of food. It was the biggest cast iron skillet I’ve seen. You could fry a pound of bacon and still have room for the eggs!

Not surprised. I drove almost a hundred miles each way to get mine. It was buried in a yuge craigslist ad a collector had posted. They are very hard to come by. I could have spent 2 days going through all the stuff he had in his garage. He lived in approx. 1000 sq ft house and his garage was at least 2000 sq ft, minimum. Quite organized, but stuffed to the gills. Old Cadillacs and others parked all over the property.

Me thinks one of your camp mates decided it was no longer group property.. or it was his in the first place and didn't want to take the chance of somebody else liberating it.

Last edited by local_dirt; 02/16/21.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
LOVE cast iron threads.

So, to keep this one rolling, here's one I picked up recently that was gifted to me. Has a single striking on the bottom "5.W". Hard to see in the first pic. It needs cleaning, but it's really not in bad shape at all. It sits perfectly flat on the smoke ring.

It might be a Wagner, but I'll leave that to the experts. smile

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Not surprised. I drove almost a hundred miles each way to get mine. It was buried in a yuge craigslist ad a collector had posted. They are very hard to come by. I could have spent 2 days going through all the stuff he had in his garage. He lived in approx. 1000 sq ft house and his garage was at least 2000 sq ft, minimum. Quite organized, but stuffed to the gills. Old Cadillacs and others parked all over the property.

Me thinks one of your camp mates decided it was no longer group property.. or it was his in the first place and didn't want to take the chance of somebody else liberating it.

Pop told me where it came from, but I don't really recall. I think it was a house warming gift when he and some friends built the camp in the early 60's. He was pissed when it disappeared and everybody played dumb.

Seeing what they go for, I think you are absolutely right. Somebody with access couldn't stand to see that much money hanging on the wall. Rat bastard thief.

β€œLife is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Uncle_Alvah
I have a working collection, and also a few in my shop.
I regret highly not buying a Lodge 20" frypan when they were in production.

First pic, right side - found that one in an old camp in the mountains. It was rusted and looked like billy hell. It cleaned up pretty good. My favorite for fried eggs, pancakes, etc.

I believe I have the same pan but not as nice as yours......yet.
People more knowledgeable than I(not an especially high bar) say its a Wagner. [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

β€œUnmarked” Wagner , produced after Textron bought them out (along with griswold).

Just looked at the old link sse posted and seen Local Dirts #14. Can’t touch those things at much less than $1000 these days. As for hw you keep cast clean, I simply wash mine when hey need it. Crud build up doesn’t equal seasoning.

rosco, I thought you were kidding a bit when I read that. Then I checked prices online, which I haven't done in some time. Geebus!

I think I paid $175 for mine from a collector, who was eccentric, to say the least. That was several years ago, of course.

Can't get pics that were taken at his house the day I bought it because imgur is for some reason denying upload of jpg, vs jpeg. ??

Found an old post from 2016 with a couple creeped up photos off my photobucket account.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/10990133/cast_iron_pot

Last edited by local_dirt; 02/16/21.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Pop told me where it came from, but I don't really recall. I think it was a house warming gift when he and some friends built the camp in the early 60's. He was pissed when it disappeared and everybody played dumb.

Seeing what they go for, I think you are absolutely right. Somebody with access couldn't stand to see that much money hanging on the wall. Rat bastard thief.

No kidding.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
LOVE cast iron threads.

So, to keep this one rolling, here's one I picked up recently that was gifted to me. Has a single striking on the bottom "5.W". Hard to see in the first pic. It needs cleaning, but it's really not in bad shape at all. It sits perfectly flat on the smoke ring.

It might be a Wagner, but I'll leave that to the experts. smile

Local Dirt, by the looks of the handle design, I suspect that pan was made by BSR (Birmingham Stove and Range.)

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
This Lodge oven lid is handy. It works on the Dutch oven of course. It works nicely on two of our 10" skittles, and we use it often to broil on.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (007FJ, 1234, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 64 invisible), 2,801 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,367
Posts18,469,093
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.