Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
What is the best state for non resident permits for elk?
I've been applying in NM, no luck. That last time in WY, no luck. I'm getting long in the tooth and am frustrated about not getting elk tags. Trying to get an elk tag in SD is a joke! I've gotten one in my lifetime that was about 25-30 years ago.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho has plenty of OTC tags, especially in the north half of the state. Many units have quotas on non-res tags so you have to start early.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I apply at Walmart in CO and draw a bull tag every time. Takes about 15 minutes and $700. Finding a legal bull isn’t nearly as easy but it does happen.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
You need preference points for Wyoming.
Reduced price cow tags are a random draw though.
Colorado has OTC licenses, enjoy the orange army though.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by wytex
You need preference points for Wyoming.
Reduced price cow tags are a random draw though.
Colorado has OTC licenses, enjoy the orange army though.

The reduced cow/calf hunt in Wyoming is darned good.

3 points last year for a general tag. Not sure if you have any points or a buddy that has points but that’s a good way to fly.

Semper Fi
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Idaho is reducing their number of non res tags to prevent overcrowding or non res to resident ratios. They also raised prices.

If you hunt north half of Idaho be prepared to see an invasion of Washington folks. Elk number here are also signifigantly down and seasons have accordingly been shortened. When i was a kid here the place was crawling with elk. Now they mostly hang around private property.

C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Got drawn in MT in '17 on my first try

In '18 missed in thw first round and got pulled on a 2nd round of draws..

Haven't applied since

Hunt...
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
Idaho is reducing their number of non res tags to prevent overcrowding or non res to resident ratios. They also raised prices.

If you hunt north half of Idaho be prepared to see an invasion of Washington folks. Elk number here are also signifigantly down and seasons have accordingly been shortened. When i was a kid here the place was crawling with elk. Now they mostly hang around private property.

In short, they've become wolf bait.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
NM. It’s largely a landowner tag if you’re a non resident and want to elk hunt.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Lots of unknown's here. I draw at least two non-resident tags every year. And kill an elk almost every year so I am not putting any for junk units. I will bet your putting in for units that have high success rates, or have very large bulls available. Drawing in those units require lots of points. Sometimes 20 or more. "Go Hunt" provides and excellent tool for gauging tag draw success and hunting success in most states that offer elk hunting. In other words a little time is required before you apply. I have hunted Idaho, for almost 30 years and will not go back. The last two times, were in areas i have hunted in the past, which are now overrun with hunters, and low elk counts. Nevada, Washington, Arizona and N,M all have long wait times. Do some research, tags are available if you just want to hunt. Premium tags take a longggggggggggggggggggg time to draw.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by elkmen1
Lots of unknown's here. I draw at least two non-resident tags every year. And kill an elk almost every year so I am not putting any for junk units. I will bet your putting in for units that have high success rates, or have very large bulls available. Drawing in those units require lots of points. Sometimes 20 or more. "Go Hunt" provides and excellent tool for gauging tag draw success and hunting success in most states that offer elk hunting. In other words a little time is required before you apply. I have hunted Idaho, for almost 30 years and will not go back. The last two times, were in areas i have hunted in the past, which are now overrun with hunters, and low elk counts. Nevada, Washington, Arizona and N,M all have long wait times. Do some research, tags are available if you just want to hunt. Premium tags take a longggggggggggggggggggg time to draw.

Tell us a little more about this site GO HUNT, please. Do you have to be a member of it to use it? I found it and am interested in your thoughts on it. Thanks

Last edited by Jim1611; 02/09/21.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
General elk hunting in Wyoming is good and trophy type bulls can be had for the work.. LQ without a doubt can be much better but general elk license in Wyoming gets you hunting and a chance at a nice bulls almost anywhere in the state.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
You can browse GO Hunt without paying a fee. Its essentially a great data base, for the wester states, you can search by species, by state or unit. % of success, chance of drawing, a general narrative on hunting within the unit. Take a look its a tremendous. resource.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by elkmen1
You can browse GO Hunt without paying a fee. Its essentially a great data base, for the wester states, you can search by species, by state or unit. % of success, chance of drawing, a general narrative on hunting within the unit. Take a look its a tremendous. resource.

Thanks!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,778 guests, and 1,125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,304
Posts18,468,097
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.