Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
What do you guys think/advise? Which way would you go?

I'm spending too much time indoors these days and am in need a new project.

I have a donor rifle that I have in mind that is worth say $600 as it sits. I'm considering re-boring to 9.3x62 or re-barreling to same.

After weighing said rifle it looks like the re-bore would make the rifle sans scope at about 7 lb - a little light maybe I'm thinking?.

Re-barreling on the other hand will allow a SS barrel and what ever weight - I was thinking aiming for 8 lb sans scope and 22" barrel length.

Re-barreling cost ~ ER Shaw = $200 (I would have a "like new" barrel from donor to peddle, but it is a 30-06 so -$40??) + work of sight installation + recoil pad and installation $50

Re-bore - by "J E S Rifle Reboring" = $250 plus recoil pad and installation $50

(Some of you probably look down on ER Shaw. I've used many of the more expensive barrels and I've used ER Shaw, the last couple were ER Shaw and they were good barrels. The first couple ER Shaw barrels were not so good maybe over 40 years ago. Back in the day it was premium barrels mostly - especially for varmint and bench rifles. This won't be a bench rifle, BTW.)

Pricing rifles on-line for an acceptable 9.3x62 >$1,500, If I could sell my donor rifle for $600, probable cost would easily be $900, I suppose plus bases and rings, so $950

Bottom line - seems like a lot like 6's

Re-bore $900+ - ($600 for donor plus $300 plus shipping out of pocket) - this option may result in a light rifle - too light
Re-barreling $850+ - ($600 for donor plus $250 plus shipping - - this option would result in a new SS barrel
Used 9.3x62 $950+ ($1,500 plus shipping, bases and rings - $600 for sale of donor) - buying a rifle on-line isn't much of a project, but it may be worth more at my estate auction

I have another donor rifle that has a decent recoil pad already installed, so the first two options would be $50 cheaper that way.

Last edited by Bugger; 01/27/21.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
8 lbs might be a little heavy by the time scope is on + ammo = likely at least 9 lbs.

My Tikka T3 Lite in 9.3 x 62 was less than 7 lbs out of the box. With 3-9x40 scope + 4 cartrdiges = 7.7 lbs ready to go... Great for carry but a bit light for the range. I'd aim for about 8.5 lbs ready to hunt.

It's a great cartridge deserving a good rifle.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bugger, build what you want.... the money spent will mean nothing a few years down the road. A 9.3x62 is cool and worth the effort

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nothing wrong with E R Shaw barrels. I've used Shaw, Douglas, Shilen, and Kreiger in custom Mausers from 6.5 to 8mm to 9.3 all with equal success.

Originally Posted by Bugger
What do you guys think/advise? Which way would you go?

I'm spending too much time indoors these days and am in need a new project.

I have a donor rifle that I have in mind that is worth say $600 as it sits. I'm considering re-boring to 9.3x62 or re-barreling to same.

After weighing said rifle it looks like the re-bore would make the rifle sans scope at about 7 lb - a little light maybe I'm thinking?.

Re-barreling on the other hand will allow a SS barrel and what ever weight - I was thinking aiming for 8 lb sans scope and 22" barrel length.

Re-barreling cost ~ ER Shaw = $200 (I would have a "like new" barrel from donor to peddle, but it is a 30-06 so -$40??) + work of sight installation + recoil pad and installation $50

Re-bore - by "J E S Rifle Reboring" = $250 plus recoil pad and installation $50

(Some of you probably look down on ER Shaw. I've used many of the more expensive barrels and I've used ER Shaw, the last couple were ER Shaw and they were good barrels. The first couple ER Shaw barrels were not so good maybe over 40 years ago. Back in the day it was premium barrels mostly - especially for varmint and bench rifles. This won't be a bench rifle, BTW.)

Pricing rifles on-line for an acceptable 9.3x62 >$1,500, If I could sell my donor rifle for $600, probable cost would easily be $900, I suppose plus bases and rings, so $950

Bottom line - seems like a lot like 6's

Re-bore $900+ - ($600 for donor plus $300 plus shipping out of pocket) - this option may result in a light rifle - too light
Re-barreling $850+ - ($600 for donor plus $250 plus shipping - - this option would result in a new SS barrel
Used 9.3x62 $950+ ($1,500 plus shipping, bases and rings - $600 for sale of donor) - buying a rifle on-line isn't much of a project, but it may be worth more at my estate auction

I have another donor rifle that has a decent recoil pad already installed, so the first two options would be $50 cheaper that way.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Wish you lived close, you could buy mine and be happy evermore.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bugger,

Shaw has been making very good barrels since around 2000, when they completely retooled. Before then they made OK but rough barrels. I know this from using their barrels since 1989, touring the factory after the retooling, with very good results. Probably have had around 8-10 barrels from them since then, ranging from a replacement Ruger 10-22 barrel up to .30-06. Latest is a 1-8 twist sporter-weight 6mm-06, installed last year on a Remington 700 action; they also squared the face of the receiver and and lapped the lugs. Shoots great.

JES also does a very fine job of reboring/rerifling/rechambering. Know this through experience with several rifles, the first of which was a Remington 760 purchased at the Missoula gun show in 2010--his brother had a table across from the one Eileen and I had, with several rebored rifles for sale. The 760 was a 1950s .30-06 rebored to .35 Whelen--and shot into an inch.

Have owned two CZ 550 9.3x62s, a standard sporter with a 23.6" barrel, and a Mannlicher-stocked carbine with 21" barrel. Both shot very accurately with no dinking around. But my experience with several other factory 9.3x62s indicates that's normal.

For me a 9.3x62 weighing 8 pounds scoped is has very tolerable recoil, even with "modern pressure" handloads. But I'm "only" 68 years old, and still somewhat recoil-resistant.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd just go the rebore route I think. Just got a few 250 Accubonds in to try in mine. Looking forward to that. Good luck whichever direction you go.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
What is the donor rifle?

Semper Fi

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by CZ550
8 lbs might be a little heavy by the time scope is on + ammo = likely at least 9 lbs.

My Tikka T3 Lite in 9.3 x 62 was less than 7 lbs out of the box. With 3-9x40 scope + 4 cartrdiges = 7.7 lbs ready to go... Great for carry but a bit light for the range. I'd aim for about 8.5 lbs ready to hunt.

It's a great cartridge deserving a good rifle.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

Unfortunately, we they do not import the T3x Lite in that chambering to the USA. The blued Battue model is available here sometimes. I would love a SS T3x Lite in 9.3x62

Semper Fi

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The decision for me would pivot on the action of the donor rifle. For that application, I would want a rock solid CRF action.
If not CRF, then I'd sell the donor and buy a 9.3x62 in a CRF.
BTW in this market you might get more for the donor than you think

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Muledeer is right on the weight ... 8lbs is a good target, the 62 pushes.

I used a krieger barrel on my 9.3x62 build.

Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by haverluk
What is the donor rifle?

I bought 700 30-06's back about 15 years ago. These 700's are early numbered 700's (I prefer early 700's) to the most part. They were going quite cheap on an internet site that I no-longer use, I won't mention the site's name.

BDL's in very good condition were ~ $400 or less. ADL's in very good condition were $100 less than BDL's. I just went to the nearest big town today to check on prices on the racks, the cheapest wood stocked 700 I found on a rack was $1,000 even. Others were ~ $1,200

I built my Whelen on a Mauser 98 action, but I think a 700 action would be better - I have my preferences like anyone else - I don't want to get in a pissing match on which action is the best, please.

MD

As far as recoil goes, I'm sure that you can handle recoil better than me, though I think I do ok. The full patch 400 grain loads in my Rigby gave me my first recoil head ache that you've written about. That's one reason why that rifle is for sale. I could just shoot cast bullets in it I suppose, but that rifle belongs in Africa, not South Dakota, and I don't need to shoot something that hurts me. I have not mounted a scope on that 416, maybe with a 1 lb scope, hmmm. I've had other rifles that hurt my face or shoulder - the Rigby doesn't but those headaches.

My 375 Whelen AI is close to 8 lb - it has no scope just aperture sight and post - it is not a problem at all with heavy loads. I think my 375 H&H AI is yet a little heavier, but with a M8 4x on it. Neither have given me recoil head aches.

I appreciate all you guys comments, especially on weight. I should make allowance for the scope weight, or maybe just go with an aperture sight and bronze front post, like my Whelen.

Bugger

Last edited by Bugger; 01/28/21.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Forum member dpcd over on AR has an 1930 Oberndorf barrel pattern and he uses Dougie barrels and will sell you one fitted and installed for 275 bucks. I

The way life should be.
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bluefish
Forum member dpcd over on AR has an 1930 Oberndorf barrel pattern and he uses Dougie barrels and will sell you one fitted and installed for 275 bucks. I

Surely not an barreled action for that price.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
You interested to buy my 1908 Brazilian action?

The way life should be.
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm trying to hold off on buying any guns until the gun show in Sioux Falls - Feb. 13th and 14th - is over. I'm going to put a few Remington's on the table and see how they sell.

Last edited by Bugger; 01/30/21.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I'd buy this one and add irons if I were in the market.

http://www.champlinarms.com/Default...amp;mid=409&StyleID=2&GunID=3537

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Bugger Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
I'd buy this one and add irons if I were in the market.

http://www.champlinarms.com/Default...amp;mid=409&StyleID=2&GunID=3537

I'd have to sell more than just a few Remington's to get that!

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I would replace the barrel. A new barrel would probably clean up a bit easier than a rebore and you can choose the contour and length all at once. I have a Ruger safari in 9.3x62, an excellent caliber in my opinion.

NRA Endowment Member
X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
You might want to take a look at this: https://simpsonltd.com/mauser-98-action-c32240/
NECG could probably fit rings to those bases.
Simpson also has a nice selection of 9.3X57 rifles, which I believe could easily be rechambered to 9.3X62, and the prices are quite reasonable. The desirable ones are the Model 46's which have 98 Mauser actions. The others have Model 96 Mauser actions, like the Swedish service rifles.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 35, Akhutr, 7x57Hunter, 10Glocks, 8 invisible), 1,579 guests, and 726 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,563
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.