-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All of the quilts have sewn or zipper foot pockets. I have a pair if Thinsolate socks similar to these to wear at night. They're actually too warm for all but the coldest nights. I don't know if they make them for canoe paddle feet, though.

Underground Quilts makes them for people up to 6'9". They should be able to fit you. UNDERGROUND QUILTS
Look for down blankets on Amazon. They have some that are quite large. For truck camping in cold weather, I unzip an old down sleeping bag I have and throw it over me on top of the quilt. That's been good for 5F.

[Linked Image from procean.nl]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know I chimed in earlier about my bag vs quilt preferences but just last night crashed with my Kifaru woobie and was reminded how nice a simple quilt style item can be. I guess everything has a place.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like the simplicity of a quilt when it's time for the 3AM pee. I don't know how many times in the past that I've had to use a flashlight to unstick a sleeping bag zipper.

― George Orwell

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Just ordered an Enlightened Equipment Convert. 0 degree, 850 fill, wide and regular length. Best of both worlds. It can be used as a sleeping bag or quilt. It was rather expensive but I am looking forward to getting it. $420. Good luck.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Good choice..

For me, I wouldn't take that under 15-20. I get below that I'm cold. Including socks, pants and jackets up top.....

Some can do a bit colder than that. Depends how you sleep .

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GregW
Good choice..

For me, I wouldn't take that under 15-20. I get below that I'm cold. Including socks, pants and jackets up top.....

Some can do a bit colder than that. Depends how you sleep .
Quite a few of the bigger quilt makers use the European rating system, called the EN. The temp rating is where it will keep you alive, not warm. You generally need to add 10 to 20 degrees to that to know where it will keep you warm. The ISO rating is almost identical to the EN. I believe they just get it a little differently. When you get a bag rated other than EN/ISO, you don't know what you're getting. That doesn't mean they aren't good, it's just that they're not using a set standard.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've found the best way to gauge the warmth is look at the amount and quality of the fill, compare that number to a like bag from Feathered Friends or Western Mountaineering

FF and WM ratings (for me) are spot on. Granted a true quilt will need a little less fill, but not a lot less fill- I've found it to be a very good gauge when comparing both quilts and bags from other manufacturers.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ratings are great starting point, but there are assumptions :
an underquilt in a hammock, or an insulated pad(s) with sufficient total R-value.

For me , I look at the loft in inches or cm to get a feel for the amount of insulation from either synthetic or down quilts

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by ro1459
Just ordered an Enlightened Equipment Convert. 0 degree, 850 fill, wide and regular length. Best of both worlds. It can be used as a sleeping bag or quilt. It was rather expensive but I am looking forward to getting it. $420. Good luck.

Sounds great. I would have also checked the Long box, a couple extra inches of quilt is a good thing.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I would try a quilt in warm weather camping but not in cool to cold weather situations. Warm in cold weather is a good recipe for a good nights sleep. For me, a bag offers the best possibility of that. Successive nights of bad sleep equals not a good time for me. So, at least there are two options for all of us with varied tastes.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cs2blue
I would try a quilt in warm weather camping but not in cool to cold weather situations. Warm in cold weather is a good recipe for a good nights sleep. For me, a bag offers the best possibility of that. Successive nights of bad sleep equals not a good time for me. So, at least there are two options for all of us with varied tastes.

True, it's nice to have options. Have you tried a quilt in cold weather? You may be surprised at how effective they can be.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Originally Posted by mtwarden
Originally Posted by NM_ElkNut

What about putting a quilt over/around a conventional bag to have a quilt for summer and add the quilt to bag for colder? If a good idea should I go with the same size as the sizing guides say or go a little wider? I have an old Big Agnes Lost Ranger 15 and looking at adding a Enlightened Equipment Revelation 10.

yup- I do that in the winter, have a 15-ish degree down bag and add a 50 degree Apex quilt, gets me down to 0 or a little lower pretty easily; on longer trips it helps keep the loft of the down by allowing moisture to migrate through the down bag and go into the synthetic quilt- which handles moisture better

if you plan on using a quilt in this way, you want it a little wider- and wider in a quilt is rarely a bad thing

EE has a good chart showing what temps you can realistically expect by layering what quilt of what bag/quilt

I ended up pulling the trigger on it. I tried it over the weekend and the wore out bag plus new quilt worked well in the mid-20s.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good deal! Makes for a pretty versatile system smile

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

75 members (160user, 41rem, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 13 invisible), 1,026 guests, and 735 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,490
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.