I AM AMERICA!
GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by ChuckKY
Is an 8" deep footer below your frost line where you are building? Do you think a 16" x 8" deep footer will keep the building from settling? I doubt it would here in KY, not sure about anywhere else.

Where I am at in West Virginia is pure rock. Absolutely no clay, silt or mineral soil. I'm not overly concerned about Frost depth because the soils here simply cannot hold water.

In fairness, there are certain flat spots at other locations on our Mountain that do have mineral soil from leaves and decayed trees, but where these buildings will sit holding water and frost heaving are not a concern to myself. I also asked my Mason and concrete man the same question and he likewise was not concerned about the soils. There is no building code in West Virginia so basically we do what we think is best. Across the line in Virginia I would need to be 30 in down if I recall correctly.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Is an 8" deep footer below your frost line where you are building? Do you think a 16" x 8" deep footer will keep the building from settling? I doubt it would here in KY, not sure about anywhere else.

Where I am at in West Virginia is pure rock. Absolutely no clay, silt or mineral soil. I'm not overly concerned about Frost depth because the soils here simply cannot hold water.

In fairness, there are certain flat spots at other locations on our Mountain that do have mineral soil from leaves and decayed trees, but where these buildings will sit holding water and frost heaving are not a concern to myself. I also asked my Mason and concrete man the same question and he likewise was not concerned about the soils. There is no building code in West Virginia so basically we do what we think is best. Across the line in Virginia I would need to be 30 in down if I recall correctly.

I know money on two buildings is always to be taken in account, but a 30" footer would amount to about 15 more yards of concrete and a cost of about $2500 not counting what extra time for backhoe work for each building. Backhoe would be set up anyway. The footer is the only thing you can't redo when building is done. $2500 wouldn't be a big factor in a $15000 building for me or $5000 for both buildings at $30,000. My math is always open to speculation to be honest though, and I'm not paying for it. Just more free, unrequested internet advice.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hosfly
Maybe I'm crazy but I like that price too for a turn key deal

Let's wait and see what the square foot price is after the buildings are up and all the bills are paid. It's still just talk and paper and already had a 40% increase.

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Before you can sell someone a building you first must sell them on a builder! If you dont feel complete honesty in the meetings do not buy from them. Reputation is more important than age.
Remember you cannot trade in a building like a truck.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
There is a company called rusty barns that has built some machine sheds for guys around here
40x60 with 18 ft Ceiling two sliding doors and 2 walk in doors was a tag over 30 k no concrete. They do a great job and there build quality is pretty good
They will have a shed like that move in ready in 4 days.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

I know money on two buildings is always to be taken in account, but a 30" footer would amount to about 15 more yards of concrete and a cost of about $2500 not counting what extra time for backhoe work for each building. Backhoe would be set up anyway. The footer is the only thing you can't redo when building is done. $2500 wouldn't be a big factor in a $15000 building for me or $5000 for both buildings at $30,000. My math is always open to speculation to be honest though, and I'm not paying for it. Just more free, unrequested internet advice.

The digging in rock is what would get you. If can't be dug, then it's a breaker. Around here that'll run at least $75/CUYD.

Of course, down in that country he might know some guys with good explosives and not have to worry about it. lol

He went over yonder way
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
In October I had a 24x30 wood post frame built for $13,350. This included two insulated overhead doors, a man door, double bubble insulation, and concrete. I couldn't touch that with steel.

Last edited by liliysdad; 02/11/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by liliysdad
In October I had a 24x30 wood post frame built for $13,350. This included two insulated overhead doors, a man door, double bubble insulation, and concrete.

24 x 30 = 720, 13,350 ÷ 720 = $18.50 sf.

Yep.

Originally Posted by liliysdad
couldn't touch that with steel.

Yep.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
#4 rebar is $390 on 36 sticks. 20 foot.

Steel is getting ugly.

Plan to keep shopping.

Concrete is $165 a yard for 4k with air... delivery is an hour.

If we can place in early April... we can probably skip the retarder... may keep some super p handy just in case.

Quote to board form, place, finish and cure is $1.60 sf.

Site prep and thickenes edge footing is on me. Best guess is 25 yards... obviously that will vary as the the footing is dug.

But I may not dig the footing, but instead raise the center. Local pit is $125 on 20 tons. Need to see his pit first. Digging in rock can leave poorly compacted post disturbance areas. Higher slab allows me better post construction positive drainage away from the building.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That should be a given on any site that's built on, but I've seen plenty build in holes that eternally had water running in during the wet seasons.

Might wanna consider penciling in a few feet of concrete apron by your big doors so your not bouncing over the edge of the slab to gain entry.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by akasparky
That should be a given on any site that's built on, but I've seen plenty build in holes that eternally had water running in during the wet seasons.

Might wanna consider penciling in a few feet of concrete apron by your big doors so your not bouncing over the edge of the slab to gain entry.

Agreed, you always order a little bit of extra concrete when you're doing a job this big so I figure we'll form up an apron in 1/2 yard sections and stretch it out as long as we have mud on the truck.

I'll even form up a BBQ patio off to the side just in case there's more than a few yards left. It only takes a few minutes to wreck out a form that you don't need.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
#[bleep]

Roy,
Are you busy in March and April? Cash needs a good hand.

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Just talked to Robbie...

The increase was less than expected... around 8%, but additional increases are expected.

FYI only.

More info and pics as the site is prepped and buildings go up.

POC for Robbie if interested.

No hard sell here just sharing what I am doing.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by CashisKing; 03/04/21.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm thinking really hard about doing the same thing on a lot we own next to our house. 50x100 with the ends finished to 3 br living space and shop in the middle. VRBO the living spaces for sportsmen April-December should easily make the payments for the whole thing. was going to wait a few years until the house is paid off but for reasons you state we might jump on it this year yet.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been working with a couple of vendors to get a metal building or two put on our property in West Virginia.

Steel prices are supposed to have a dramatic increase here shortly so I am going to try to get under contract for two of these buildings now and have them installed this summer after I can prep out the building pads.

I will post up the final quote and contract after I lock in.

I am looking at 30' x 40' and 30' x 50' buildings with one 12' x 12' roll up door as well as one man door. I'm having the buildings extra certified with tighter than normal structure because of snow loading on the roof potential.

The absolute sharp pencil quote that I have now for two buildings is around $29,000.

If each building is 1500 square feet that makes my cost less than $10 per square foot.

If a sheet of OSB is 32 square feet and cost $32 that is $1 per square foot in the raw for just OSB at Home Depot. $10 a square foot for a built building is incredibly cheap.

Like I said, once I have worked out all of the bugs and have a final quote and contract I will post up that information if anyone else is interested. Absolutely nothing in it for me other than to help other folks.

I am only posting this preliminary information for folks to think about. Again, once I work out the bugs if anyone is interested I'm happy to share the information.

That is a hell-of-a-deal👍

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Cash: What is the snow load in psi your building is designed for?

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by bobmn
Cash: What is the snow load in psi your building is designed for?

I specified my building as double certified. That is actually a term. I moved the stringers to 4 foot on Center vs 5 foot on Center and I paid extra for 12 gauge tube. This gives me 65 PSF or better loading.

I also have a friend that buys tractor trailer insurance claim jackknife trucks auctions. About a year ago I had listed some skyscraper windows that came off of one of these trucks... for him.

Anyway, he sells pallet racking, the type of stuff that Home Depot uses for their shelves. I will buy the pallet racking and reinforce my walls for additional lateral load as well as additional support for the roof. I will put beams across the racking and use them as Home Depot type shelves for skid steer implements and other type items. Think forklift loading.

This will give my building tremendous load capacity. I could run the calculations but I don't really feel like bothering...

"Pig tight and bull strong" the old man told me years ago.

Pallet racking from Chuck is very very reasonably priced.

Of course it's slightly scratched and not new but I don't care.

Last edited by CashisKing; 03/05/21. Reason: Typos.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
How much will this $10 a square foot building cost you after concrete and reinforcing the walls and roof?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
How much will this $10 a square foot building cost you after concrete and reinforcing the walls and roof?

Hopefully turnkey with the electric panel under $15 SF.

I'm sure that might seem like a lot to some.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 43 invisible), 1,782 guests, and 1,038 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,180
Posts18,465,629
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.