Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
I am brand new to Ar-15's and have just a couple of questions for those with knowledge and opinions.
I obtained a china joe and the ho proof Rock River LAR-15 with heavy stainless barrel from an acquaintance of mine who lives on the west coast some weeks ago.
My uses will be for home protection from foreign and domestic sources.
The Rifle came with 2 metal 20 round magazines - my first question is which magazines (and which material) do you prefer? And which do you prefer 20 or 30 round sizes?
Next, I, like everyone else have been completely limited in options for ammunition - last week I luckily picked up 400 rounds ($104.00 per box of 200!) of the Winchester 62 grain "green tip" ammunition. This morning I was in the right place at the right time and got 800 rounds of this same ammunition at $114.00 per 200 round box.
My question here is should I seek out different ammunition for my non-Hunting use?
It has been VERY cold hereabouts (15 degrees BELOW zero this morning!) and I have not got to shoot any of this Winchester ammunition in my new to me Rifle.
And in the same vein is my Rock River factory stock barrel going to stabilize this ammunition in other words I do not know what the twist of my Rifle is.
Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated - thanks in advance.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Go talk to Randy. He can tell you everything you need to know about it.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Twist likely marked on the barrel somewhere maybe not though. That ammo is fine just no it's non expanding. PMAGS are a favorite among many I like metal GI mags [ersonally.

Enjoy!

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The twist is no doubt somewhere between 1/9 and 1/7 my best guess would be 1/9 either will easily stabilize 62 grain ammo. 1/9 will stabilize up to 69 grains at least and sometimes 77 grain pretty well.

I can’t see any reason to buy 20 rounds mags unless someone wants them for some specific reason or wants them just because they want them. I have aluminum Colt mags, polymer Lancer and Gen two and Gen 3 PMAGS they all work fine but I like the polymer ones best. The Gen 3 PMAGS have a few updates but on sale for $10 each the gen 2’s are the best bargain going in the gun mag world.

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Ready on the right & TheLastLemming76: Thank you both for your help and the link!
I found my Rifle and it is the LAR-15 Varmint with the 1 in 8" twist.
And if I understand you correctly TheLastLemming76 I might as well go with the 30 rounders and the polymer magazines?
I appreciate all the help very much and will be trying out my ammo as soon as the weather turns "human" around here.
In full disclosure back in the early 1970's I did buy and own two of the "original" Colt AR-15's back when they were in the $400.00+ range - I sold them both for a pittance of profit without ever firing them.
I kind of wish I had them back now.
Thanks again - I better look up some you-tube videos on care and cleaning/maintenance while I have some free (to cold to go outside!) time.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Kenlguy: I did not know Randy was up on AR's as well.
Good to know.
Appreciate that.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
VG you'll find out in a hurry 30 rd mags are worthless off the bench and a pain in the ass in prone when you are trying to get as low as possible. GI 20's and some 10rd'ers for these uses. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
VG you'll find out in a hurry 30 rd mags are worthless off the bench and a pain in the ass in prone when you are trying to get as low as possible. GI 20's and some 10rd'ers for these uses. Mb

Plus 1

The only reason I can think of to buy anything other than 30 rounds mags is monopoding off of a bench or prone and for those circumstances I like 10 rounders.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Agreed on 20s being nice for bench and prone. I like p mag 20s (G3) but also have pmag 30s (G2 and G3) and aluminum GI (D&H and some miscellaneous) 20s and 30s.

G3 pmag 20s are my first choice.

Best deal around for pmags:

https://www.provenoutfitters.com/pmag-20-ar-gen-m3-5-56x45-bk

My understanding and experience is that any modern twist (1-9" or faster) will easily stabilize 62g green tips. A 1-12" might have trouble, but I don't know of any 1-12" AR barrels except some "retro" reproduction barrels and old surplus

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You guys might laugh at me but damned if Big Stick wasn't right on the nailhead about mags, those ASC mags are the tits. The stainless and the aluminum ones , well built and they flat work fine. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I like 20 round Lancer and P-mags better than 30 rounders for most things.
@ 20's are short so makes it nice to shoot off the bench, in or from a SXS, truck hood, truck bed, car roof & back window, ATV, deer blind, big boulders etc.
Easy to stuff in back pocket. I have some but I don't like metal mags, & Have fun.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since I'm pretty close to Brownell's I get their 20 round aluminum magazines. I have been picking up 10 round P-Mags just in case. I'll bet your RR rifle is a 1/9 twist. It will stablize 62 grain bullets. Oooppss. It looks like you found it on the barrel. It's a 1/8 twist. That is a great twist. Blast away.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
First off the green tip ammo is not target ammo and don’t be surprised if 2-3” groups are all you can get out of it. But don’t blame the rifle, RR has a great track record of producing ver accurate guns.

As to mags, I actually hate 30 round mags and greatly prefer 20’s. I like the USGI 20’s but my favorites are 20 round Gen 3 Pmags.

When you get ready to scope it, get a one piece cantilever mount that puts the scope 1.4” above the flat top or higher. Tall rings will crowd you on where you can mount the scope.

It should have a 2 stage trigger in it and you should be pretty happy with it. But feed it good ammo and I bet it’ll become a hunting rig in short order.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Nothing new to add but..
The rock river will stabilize that bullet fine and they do shoot quite well
Don’t expect very good accuracy from that ammo however
It’s def a bit heavy for “home defense” role but whatever works for you
Yes it should have their 2-stage trigger which is a fine trigger, to me anyway

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you want self defense ammo the Black Hills 77gr OTM is superb. If you can find the 77gr Tipped Match Kings they are impressive and should stabilize in a 1:8 fine. Hard to find anything good right now though.

As for mags, I have the plastic ones but actually think I like the ASC or D&H (mil contract) the best. The plastic ones are fine, AFTER they've seen some use. I often keep a 20 round in it if it's inside the truck just to make it more easily brought to bear. Twenties off the bench also.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
VG, a lot of good advice here. I would further suggest you get on ASC's mailing list. Very easy to do. They run sales all the time. I was deep into supplying myself with 5.56/.223 mags when I discovered them. But, that's all I've bought for my 6.8. They are extremely well made.

If you find some Colt USGI mags with the green followers at a good price, pick them up.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You guys might laugh at me but damned if Big Stick wasn't right on the nailhead about mags, those ASC mags are the tits. The stainless and the aluminum ones , well built and they flat work fine. Mb

Stick is right about a lot of schidt, if you can understand what he's saying..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
As I mentioned above about the 30's hanging out to far for bench work , well comfortably for me anyway I'll put in inches. A gen 2 30 rd pmag is 7 3/4" below the ctr of the rec. While a metal 30 rd circle k is 7 1/2" below the ctr of the rec and for reference the frt edge of the pistol grip is 6" below the ctr of the rec. And ASC 20 rd is at 5 1/4" below the ctr of the rec. The 10 rd pmag sits 3 3/4" below the ctr of the rec. You don't think about it much until you are jacking an AR way up on your rest for 30 rd mag clearance. The 20's and 10's do have legitimate use. The house gun allways has a 30 in it but for groups and casual practice the 20 and 10 rd er's work well. Mb

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 02/11/21.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
As I mentioned above about the 30's hanging out to far for bench work , well comfortably for me anyway I'll put in inches. A gen 2 30 rd pmag is 7 3/4" below the ctr of the rec. While a metal 30 rd circle k is 7 1/2" below the ctr of the rec and for reference the frt edge of the pistol grip is 6" below the ctr of the rec. And ASC 20 rd is at 5 1/4" below the ctr of the rec. The 10 rd pmag sits 3 3/4" below the ctr of the rec. You don't think about it much until you are jacking an AR way up on your rest for 30 rd mag clearance. The 20's and 10's do have legitimate use. The house gun allways has a 30 in it but for groups and casual practice the 20 and 10 rd er's work well. Mb

Yep.

My 10's and 20's get the most range use.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 02/11/21.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

86 members (264mag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 308xray, 10gaugemag, 15 invisible), 1,112 guests, and 871 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,480
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.