Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
What do you think?

There was a lot of good discussion about using a shipping container as a cabin base here.

A city bus might be larger, and higher the a school bus.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It screams “60 year old sex offender”

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Seems I heard of one that didnt work too well up north

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I live 30 miles outside of Asheville, so we get bits and pieces of the Asheville culture even out here in the woods.
Five years ago the guy down at the bottom of my driveway, he owns 10 acres, he leases a little spot to a couple who was living in a school bus. This wasn't a big school bus this was the short bus. I would say, 30 feet long.

The property owner had rigged up an outdoor bathroom and an outdoor shower. I don't know, that shower might have been a little nippy in January.
At any rate the couple lived there for 3 years. Friendly young couple, about 28 years old. In fact, the guy had a lot somewhere in Asheville where he rebuilt old school buses into houses.

OK, 30 feet long and 10 feet wide, that is 300 sq. ft. Figure in cabinets, driver's seat and stick shift, bed, stove, it doesn't leave much room for walking around. Maybe 80 sq. ft. of open floor. Plus they had a big dog.
They also had a teeny tiny wood stove. Tiny stove pipe about 3 inch diameter, they ran it out one of the school bus windows.

I say screw the Tiny House fad. I went the other way, girlfriend and I were living in an 1100 sq ft house, five years ago I built an addition and made it in to a 2100 sq ft house with 2 bathrooms. To hell with the Tiny House and to hell with the outhouse.
I lived in Washington state for 7 months with a sh*t stinking outhouse, lived there in the woods near the Idaho border with my cousin and his girlfriend in a log cabin with no running water, I don't even want to see another outhouse. Disgusting.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Wets used to always be in them when I was a kid. Remember one evening we were cat hunting with the dogs just SW of Jourdanton Tex. We walked up on a camp of postados staying in an old bus. Fire blazing. Food ready to be put on the fire, stuff placed all around. And not a soul to be seen! LOL.

We just walked thru toward the dogs.

They were popular in the hill country for bunkhouses. Still one very much in use on ranch where I was basically raised.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Appalachian farmer grandparents in 1956, never had a tractor, truck nor car.

But they did have an old milk truck/van parked out back as a chicken coop.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The Benoits hunted out of a school bus camp in Northern Maine for decades.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I remember a story in one of the old readers about a family who turned an old street car into a home. I thought that it was a neat story, but didn't think it very realistic. Reading an old newspaper from just after WWII, when the housing shortage was a real problem, lo and behold, here was a story about a family doing that very thing.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
A city bus might be larger

Any thoughts on how you’d get the stench out of it? I don’t think I could fall asleep with the scent of Jheri curl and vomit and urine wafting around.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have an old box car on the property that was used as a home in the 1920's or 30's after the original house burned down. It had 2 wood stoves in it at one point and windows on the south side facing the sun. In 1962 when we moved into the place the boxcar was in real good shape. It's not now but it would of been a great place to live if a guy had to.

kwg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago,_Burlington_and_Quincy_Railroad

Last edited by kwg020; 02/11/21.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Wasn't there some kid up in Alaska that thought a bus would make a great home? Didn't work out so well for him.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
We have one guy here I know living in a 14'x14' shed, another in a little shack that looks like a chicken coop and a couple of lesbians living in a small camper. They've all been living that way for years. The one in the chicken coop has an outhouse out back. Don't know what the guy in the shed has for plumbing. The lesbians have the camper hooked up to a well and septic. A renovated bus would probably be an improvement for the shed and chicken coop dwellers.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Somewhere upstairs in a draw I have a photo I took when going down to Williamsburg, VA in 2005. It was a bus with a VW van welded to the top going down interstate 64.

There was an old bus used as a cabin parked for years up near our cabin, but it was finally towed away. It was a mice and chipmunk haven, I’m sure the snakes loved the rodent hotel too.

Last edited by MarkWV; 02/11/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a buddy that put a 60+ pass. school bus up on 10'-12' poles to use as a hunting stand. I built him a nice little wood stove to keep it warm. I would post pics but the last time I checked, this site sucks to do that.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
When I logged for Columbia Helicopters one of the pilots had a bus conversion..That thing was nice...Of all the RV's that guy could have had and he chose to convert a bus..

Some are pretty nice IMO...Example

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Jayco👍

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Nice, extra nice!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Blackheart
We have one guy here I know living in a 14'x14' shed, another in a little shack that looks like a chicken coop and a couple of lesbians living in a small camper. They've all been living that way for years. The one in the chicken coop has an outhouse out back. Don't know what the guy in the shed has for plumbing. The lesbians have the camper hooked up to a well and septic. A renovated bus would probably be an improvement for the shed and chicken coop dwellers.

Sounds like a nice area.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
It’s common to see busses turned into taquerias in various parts of the country. Making one into a cabin would be pretty simple.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
A guy I worked with had a caboose for a hunting cabin.It was pretty nice as it had bunks ,a potbelly wood stove,and beanbag chairs for sitting.Also had the inside head that dumped onto the tracks.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I could see it now

[Linked Image from telegraph.co.uk]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

158 members (35, 257 mag, 338Rules, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 15 invisible), 1,309 guests, and 845 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,176
Posts18,465,466
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.