Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Rotor diameter 774 feet, and a wind swept area of 11 acres. That's a big machine.

https://electrek.co/2021/02/10/vestas-gm-worlds-largest-offshore-wind-turbine/

"Danish wind turbine manufacturer Vestas today announced the launch of its new offshore wind turbine – the V236-15.0MW. It replaces US conglomerate GE’s 14MW Haliade-X as having the distinction of being the world’s largest offshore wind turbine.

A comparison

The V236-15.0MW will have will have a rotor diameter of 774 feet (236 meters) and a wind-swept area of 470,845 square feet (43,743 square meters).

In comparison, GE’s Haliade-X has a rotor diameter of 722 feet (220 meters) and a wind-swept area of 409,168 square feet (38,013 square meters).

The Vestas V236-15.0MW boosts wind energy production to around 80 GWh/year, enough to power around 20,000 European households and save more than 38,000 tonnes of carbon dioxide, the equivalent of removing 25,000 passenger cars from the road annually. "

Sic Semper Tyrannis
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Holy schit. Not for self-sufficient home owners, then

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ah, the end of all bird life in Denmark. wink

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
How ya gonna store it for when the wind dies down?

Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brazos
How ya gonna store it for when the wind dies down?

I don't think they plan to take that down, but it would take a big barn!

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cool. Every 56 of those equal one of the big hydro units at grand coulee.

They have 24 at coulee.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
It'll take a lot of them big fans to cool the whole world off - global warming sucks - big air condishners would be better i think - take a lot of power to cool off the whole outside

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So, how many would it take to power say, Kalifornica? 2000?

With the Dem plans to eliminate fossil fuels, they better start saving their pennies. On the other hand, if the real plan is as I suspect to just tax our asses off to re-distribute wealth to the third world and Al Gore, they can just buy a couple for show.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The big boys promote big wind. As such it's all a scam.

Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
So, how many would it take to power say, Kalifornica? 2000?

With the Dem plans to eliminate fossil fuels, they better start saving their pennies. On the other hand, if the real plan is as I suspect to just tax our asses off to re-distribute wealth to the third world and Al Gore, they can just buy a couple for show.

Someone will have to do the math, but the Danes are planning to build an island to support their off shore wind farms, with the goal of powering the entire country:

https://awaken.com/2021/02/denmark-...r-wind-farms-to-power-the-whole-country/

"Denmark To Build Artificial Island For Wind Farms To Power The Whole Country

AFP reports that Denmark’s parliament has just committed to building an artificial island off its shores that will be home to hundreds of huge wind turbines…

It is the largest construction project in Denmark’s history, and will be as big as 80 football fields. It will be protected on three sides by an enormous sea wall and will have a harbor to receive ships. Some of the wind energy will be stored as hydrogen, which can be liquefied and shipped like liquefied natural gas (LNG).

The immediate goal is to generate 3 gigawatts, which would power half of Denmark’s buildings (its population is 6 million). The project could be scaled up to 10 gigawatts, which would provide electricity to all of Denmark and would allow 4 gigs to be exported to neighbors such as Germany. The project will begin in 2026 and will be finished between 2030 and 2033."

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Stored as hydrogen, shipped like LNG, then combusted to generate power, and produce..........................................

water.

What a novel idea.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
When I was working at the last big law firm I'll ever work at, we represented Vestas. It's a good company, but there are scams galore going on with the power purchase agreements and development deals that are part of the wind industry. Another lawyer at the firm ended up making many millions of dollars by going in house at one of the companies that buy and deploy the wind turbines, even though these things rarely produced the kind of output claimed. What they do is they sell off various parts of the wind projects, often for tax credits, and never really have to live up to the claimed energy production numbers.

It's legal, but like many things that are legal it stinks. The people who make the money are taking it from ratepayers and taxpayers without providing much in exchange.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Stored as hydrogen, shipped like LNG, then combusted to generate power, and produce..........................................

water.

What a novel idea.

Given the cost of off shore wind, the efficiency penalty of generating hydrogen through electrolysis and the efficiency loss converting hydrogen to work..... I'm rather skeptical on that prospect. But it might be the only way to fly planes other than bio-kerosene. And even there I think is a mighty big stretch given the fuel container weight and energy density penalties.

Fuel cells seem much more probably in transportation fuel, but looking at it from an economic viewpoint, I doubt off shore wind will be the way hydrogen will be produced. Just too darn expensive. Equatorial solar is about a quarter of the cost, and those costs are still dropping fast.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Gee, that sounds like...............................

big business.

SNAFU

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

water.

What a novel idea.

Too bad converting electricity to hydrogen via electrolysis of water, and back to electricity via a fuel cell powerplant is at best 60% efficient.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dutch

water.

What a novel idea.

Given the cost of off shore wind, the efficiency penalty of generating hydrogen through electrolysis and the efficiency loss converting hydrogen to work..... I'm rather skeptical on that prospect. But it might be the only way to fly planes other than bio-kerosene. And even there I think is a mighty big stretch given the fuel container weight and energy density penalties.

Fuel cells seem much more probably in transportation fuel, but looking at it from an economic viewpoint, I doubt off shore wind will be the way hydrogen will be produced. Just too darn expensive. Equatorial solar is about a quarter of the cost, and those costs are still dropping fast.

But, are the Danes hoping to go for an "economy of scale" type of thing? And it would seem they are going for control of their power needs, self reliance and all that. Perhaps worth some extra cost?

In it is contentment

Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Remsen
When I was working at the last big law firm I'll ever work at, we represented Vestas. It's a good company, but there are scams galore going on with the power purchase agreements and development deals that are part of the wind industry. Another lawyer at the firm ended up making many millions of dollars by going in house at one of the companies that buy and deploy the wind turbines, even though these things rarely produced the kind of output claimed. What they do is they sell off various parts of the wind projects, often for tax credits, and never really have to live up to the claimed energy production numbers.

It's legal, but like many things that are legal it stinks. The people who make the money are taking it from ratepayers and taxpayers without providing much in exchange.

No doubt. My college room mate was the economic analyst for wind power projects for Rabobank for many years, and there really was no analysis done on the performance of the project. It was completely driven by the legal environment and rate incentives.

My best friend in High School just retired after "selling" several wind turbines to the public through a "buy shares in green energy" scheme. He did good, not sure the "investors" will see much of a return, especially since their investment is essentially technically obsolete the day it goes on line.

All that said, by building these things, the technology gets proven, and this allows the engineers to design much better machines and the cost of wind generation is still dropping about 2% per year. In other words, the cost of wind should be about half of what it is today in 30 years.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

water.

What a novel idea.

Too bad converting electricity to hydrogen via electrolysis of water, and back to electricity via a fuel cell powerplant is at best 60% efficient.

Yes, but in a quick search, that number is as good, and sometimes better than other forms of electrical generation

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffsb&q=coal+electricity+efficiency&ia=web

https://www.brighthubengineering.co...r-plants/#natural-gas-fired-power-plants

Of course, it's on the internet and there are likely some built in biases depending on which link you click on.

But in general, even at 50% efficiency perhaps the best benefit would be the end products of electrons and..................... water?

In it is contentment

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

water.

What a novel idea.

So, how does that compare to the efficiency of transcontinental electrical transmission lines?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Dutch Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

But, are the Danes hoping to go for an "economy of scale" type of thing? And it would seem they are going for control of their power needs, self reliance and all that. Perhaps worth some extra cost?

Energy independence is a big motivating factor, as is providing a proving ground for their domestic industry. The Danes export a LOT of wind turbines, and having a big show case of the things helps sell. And they do love selling.

The hydrogen thing, in my opinion is a pipe dream borne out of group think. The electricity part makes enough sense I won't quibble. Off shore wind is still relatively expensive, but when your other options are importing natural gas from Putin or the Middle East?

Besides, they are feeling terribly guilty about all the money they are making selling oil from their North Sea fields, and I think this project helps assuage their collective national guilt. Kinda like the Norwegian government decided to basically offer enough tax credits that anyone that bought an electric car did so at nearly zero cost. All of a sudden, 54% of sales were electric cars? Who would have thunk it? Meanwhile, keep pumping, baby!

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1936M71, 160user, 55 invisible), 2,207 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,554
Posts18,453,622
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.