I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Ringman
Bob Hagel did it. Even the .458 deflected.
And John Wooters and John Sundra and Jack O'Connor and probably a few more I can't think of right off hand. I still have several of those old articles around.

Did any identify that "magic bullet"?
They all came to the conclusion there ain't one.

My point, exactly. I wonder if we have convinced the OP yet?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Bperdue21
They are supposed to have on blaze orange.

And if they are screened by brush, what good does that do?

Im not talking about shooting through a bush at something you cant see. I can definitely tell you have never stepped one toe in an eastern hardwoods forest.

Only obviously! But I am not talking about shooting through brush at what you can not see. I am talking about shooting AT what you CAN see and hitting what you can not see behind the brush.

How do you clear your backstop? Or is this a foreign concept?

It’s not out west. So what if I can see behind that thicket at 50 yards? I can’t see behind that one at 75, or a 100, or 150. You generally know safe and unsafe directions. You don’t shoot towards a house or something like that. But you mostly can never see beyond 150 yards and mostly a lot less than that.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
They are supposed to have on blaze orange.

And if they are screened by brush, what good does that do?

Im not talking about shooting through a bush at something you cant see. I can definitely tell you have never stepped one toe in an eastern hardwoods forest.

Only obviously! But I am not talking about shooting through brush at what you can not see. I am talking about shooting AT what you CAN see and hitting what you can not see behind the brush.

How do you clear your backstop? Or is this a foreign concept?

Hunting where we are is a foreign concept to you and there is nothing I can do to explain it to you further.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Gun safety is paramount to me.

I absolutely can NOT pull a trigger unless I have a clear backstop. So I guess I simply could not/ would not hunt in conditions you describe.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
The best shot I never took was at a huge bull caribou ( possibly the best I've ever seen out of tens of thousands) at 162 yards, on a small bald knob surrounded by heavy cover within yards, just below the knob, as it was about half dark. Along with a less solid rest than I wanted, there was a light screen of grass tops between us, about half way, and that was probably the deciding factor, tho the others certainly contributed. It was the last day of the opening, and we had filled only one of 3 tags, earlier that day.

Any bullet, hitting any object before it's intended target, has deflection potential - more likely than not, from what I can gather.

I know from empirical testing that an egg sized rock 15 yards in front of one, just below the scope's line of sight from a prone position, will make a fine cloud of dust, preventing a 2 caribou on one shot at 30 yards..... I did get one on a running "pass-shot" moments later after I leapt to my feet as the herd bolted past me. Just swing through from behind like with a shotgun.

I don't believe that first shot deflected at all, so rocks are OK to try to shoot through - just avoid trying to shoot though brush or grass. That may result in a wounded and not recovered animal. smile

Last edited by las; 02/11/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

It’s all very subjective.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have seen projectiles go "almost strait" through a 4-5" tree.
But you have to hit them dead center otherwise they will go wild.
And your only chance of reasonably strait is if the are no knuckles or aborted branches in the grain of the wood.

Even then I wouldn't trust the energy or direction on the far side for a clean kill...

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 02/11/21.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

I absolutely can NOT pull a trigger unless I have a clear backstop. So I guess I simply could not/ would not hunt in conditions you describe.

I suppose a guy COULD take up archery?

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I ain't never seen a Q ball glance off of another ball, and then continue in a straight line.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Would you shoot the deer in the first pic I posted? Lets say it was an elk and the largest bull you ever saw.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Two bull moose were locked up in tall, tight willows at less than 20 yards. I got close enough to see well but the brush was so tall i held for a very high shoulder shot.. 30-06 with 168gr TTSX. At the shot the bull stood straight up on his hind legs and flipped over onto his back. All CNS, so a second shot went through ribs.

The bullet showed three entrance wounds about four inches wide. All three pieces went all the way through and the biggest hole profile looked like a sideways bullet.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

Would you shoot the deer in the first pic I posted? Lets say it was an elk and the largest bull you ever saw.

Doe, fawn, Royal bull elk, makes no difference. Either it is an ethical and safe shot, or it is not.

As to your photo. There appears to be, from the elevation of the photographer, plenty of open ground behind the deer for a back stop, before you get to the brush in the background. Depending on whether there is more intervening brush between my shooting position and the deer other than the two twigs shown. I could easily place a shot into the vitals between those branches.

If a quality 12 X scope shows I do not have a clear line to target, I would let it go.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The one with the forked branch across the vitals?

If you really know your range and ballistics you might pull off a high shoulder shot like Sitka Deer describes..
If you don't get it right, it's amazing has fast a deer becomes invisible in that level of cover...
Even if you know the trails.

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 02/11/21.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This is the best I can come up with right now to show you what it looks like where I hunt. This is what would be an open area, not even in the woods.

😂😂😂 I guess some on here would say that entire area should be closed to hunting😂

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin

This is the best I can come up with right now to show you what it looks like where I hunt. This is what would be an open area, not even in the woods.

😂😂😂 I guess some on here would say that entire area should be closed to hunting😂

I see a schitload of openings in there.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Sounds like a project for the off season. I am going to run some tests and see what I come up with. I just get a kick out of guys at the camp saying to hunt w a 44 mag rifle or 4570 or 35 Remington in the “woods” as the woods are so choked w briars and small limbs that the likelihood of knicking an obsticle en route to the deer seems significant. I am reluctant to give up my 308, ‘06 or even my 6.5 SAUM (in longer shot conditions) just because some yahoo says “use a bullet/cartridge that’s more of a ‘brush buster’ “. My real interest is in small obstructions that lie close in proximity to the target, so I will run my tests with stuff 5-10 yards and 20-30 yards in front of the target and see what happens with different cartridges and bullet weights. Thin dowels seem to be a good medium so I may go that route.

Last edited by RatherBHuntin; 02/11/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Video record it for the library.

Iraqi 8888888 did a good test, even though it wasn't very scientific. Only three shots each caliber, but showed a tendency towards the heavy blunts over the lighter high velocity rounds.
Something along these lines, with other calibers, would be interesting.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 15 invisible), 2,230 guests, and 745 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,665
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.