Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
One question I don't think was answered, and perhaps there isn't an easy answer, is, aside from changes in POI, can a brake affect accuracy? I assume not, but I don't know what happens with pressure waves when a bullet is exiting at 3,500 fps through something with a bunch of staggered holes. It is probably nothing, but it someone experienced reduced accuracy with a brake, I would be eager to just put it in a drawer or tub somewhere in my garage.

If anything, a brake potentially increases accuracy for two reasons. First, it reduces the recoil that can negatively affect accuracy if not well controlled, and second it results in recoil that is straight back, avoiding muzzle jump that can have a negative impact on accuracy.

BP-B6

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It really depends on the brake. If you get one that doesn’t divert gasses in all directions. It can effect barrel whip. It’s rare but it happens.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
buck frakes......

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If I was given a rifle with a fixed brake, ie not threaded on, I'd pull a page from BS's book and hacksaw the damn thing off.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I shot one bear with one shot with a borrowed rifle wearing a brake. That was plenty for me, ears rang for a week. Made lots of money selling them and installing them though.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The Weatherby is already dang obnoxious as far as noise and blast. I think those two things if increased with a brake would be more likely to induce a flinch than the recoil for me. There are some supposed quiet muzzle brakes but I have not tried them. As for watching the shot it is hard to do with all the dust kicked up by a brake if you are shooting prone.

With the detachable brake and a screw protector you have the best of both worlds. Use the brake with muffs and plugs at the range and then test with out for final zero. The brake not only reduces recoil but you will not get crowded at the bench after you touch off the first round. A form of anti-social distancing.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
MH,

POI shift with and without a brake depends on the brake and the barrel, but usually doesn't change much, IME. You'll have to check and see how POI compares for your rifle. The benefits of using a brake obviously include reduced recoil, but IMO even more important is that your ability to stay on target through the scope is increased (i.e., you can spot your shot easier). The downside is increased muzzle blast.

Bottom line, if you're hunting with it and don't plan to be really diligent about hearing protection, I'd run the brake in the off-season when practicing, but would take it off when hunting. Just check POI with and without the brake, and re-zero accordingly.
That.

Thanks for the comments. Below is what comes with the rifle. Not good for prone shooting?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Only if yer on pavement... But grass/dirt etc., you're gonna get quite a cloud of crap over you...

When I have a customer ask me to install a brake the first thing I ask them is how it will be used......on the bench? On some rest while hunting? Or prone? When I hear anything about 'prone' I suggest a brake with no holes down so as to minimize that issue.. KDF makes a brake they refer to as 'sniper-style' with holes only on the sides and top, but not the bottom.. A good customer that I've built a few rifles for uses his for mostly long-range target shooting and all from a prone position.. He loves those KDF brakes w/o holes on the bottom.. And just two days ago he dropped of his rifle and a new barrel to be installed, and to add the brake to it as well..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Have repeated this a time or two...

According to Mule Deer, who doesn’t make stuff up, even doubled up on hearing protection, because of the way sound reaches the innards of your ears the level of noise with some braked rifles is high enough to damage your ears, and jorgeI’s too if he happens to be nearby, say at the next bench. Your rifle, your ears, your business, but have some consideration for the rest of us if you go that way.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a new 6.5-300 Wby coming in. It's the first bolt rifle I have had that comes with a brake and, I think, a thread protector in lieu thereof.

I'm tempted not to shoot it with the brake, but would be interested in the thoughts of others who have used them.

I have another 6.5-300 in a different model, and the recoil doesn't seem to bother me.

But what do you all with experience prefer? Less physical impact and more noise with the brake? Or more physical impact and less noise without it?

How does the brake affect the POI or accuracy if at all?

Mine does not have a brake. Never missed it. Kicks less than a 7mm rem mag to me

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
RL Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have one rifle with a brake - Accumark 30/378. I enjoy shooting the rifle from the bench because of the brake but do agree 100% in double ear protection and consideration for those around you. Last summer I set off two car alarms on the first shot - kinda funny but just tells you the noise and concussion coming out of the barrel. If I shoot at a public range I will always get away from others and notify those around me - unless some one plops down right beside me and starts in hammering me with their braked whatever - then it's the boys with the toys get out their tape measures to see who has the biggest... My brake serves a purpose for me but understand why others don't want them or be around them.

IC B3

RL Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Fotis
I have a new 6.5-300 Wby coming in. It's the first bolt rifle I have had that comes with a brake and, I think, a thread protector in lieu thereof.

I'm tempted not to shoot it with the brake, but would be interested in the thoughts of others who have used them.

I have another 6.5-300 in a different model, and the recoil doesn't seem to bother me.

But what do you all with experience prefer? Less physical impact and more noise with the brake? Or more physical impact and less noise without it?

How does the brake affect the POI or accuracy if at all?

Mine does not have a brake. Never missed it. Kicks less than a 7mm rem mag to me

Mine doesn't have a brake either - 7 mag or maybe some 300 win mags are pretty good comparisons to me.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
No brakes for me.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have one rifle with more than one hole in the barrel a Marlin Guide Gun, nasty horrible noise far worse than the recoil. If I fired the rifle more than once or twice a year I’d saw the end off the barrel to get rid of the holes.

I had a 7mm REM Mag in a A-Bolt with the BOSS, went to the non-ported BOSS ASAP. That rifle has since been sold.

Like Jordan (probably only a year or two apart in time and a few miles in space) I had a magna-ported .300 WSM fired by a hunter I was guiding before I could plug my ear and after they had shifted a bit. The ear rung for days and I’m sure there was hearing loss incurred.

Had another hunter I was guiding with a braked rifle shooting prone on a big slab of granite even with my ears plugged (I developed the skill of plugging both ears with my little fingers whilst holding my binoculars) the noise and concussion were nasty.

I will not put a brake on a rifle and like Tinman stated above would saw it off if a braked rifle came to me.

In my opinion If a person “needs” a brake on a hunting rifle go down the recoil scale or spend more time in the gym. Target rifles could be a different situation.

Just my opinion.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have one rifle with a brake, that I sometimes use. It's a 375 H&H AI. The brake helps when I'm shooting quite a bit.

I bought a 700 280 mountain rifle, a brake was cut into the barrel. It was the worst shooting Remington that I've ever had. I replaced the barrel with a take off and now it sub MOA all the time.

A 6.5 300 probably won't kick that bad, but a brake should work wonders as a good bit of the recoil would be the expelled gases.

I would try it both ways. If the POI doesn't change much, working up loads with the brake on would make sense, I suppose. I wouldn't hunt with a brake unless I had electronic ear protection. I shot that 375 H&H AI once without protection and my ears rang for a while. I'd bet I lost some hearing that day.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by jorgeI
If you need a brake, drop down a caliber...or five. Godawful things.

Amen brother. Loathsome things.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
Use your brake at the range to piss off guys like Jorge.

I just got a Weatherby Vanguard that came with a brake. I use it at the range while I’m doing load development off the bench. Plan to hunt without the brake, unless I bump into Jorge.

Do that and make sure you take the brake OFF before you go hunting and let us know when you get back from your hunt.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Due to a replaced sholder and pain before that I put a brake on my .06.Searching for ear protection I found most electronic muffs only reduce noise about 30 BD. So you can still get hearing damage at 70-80 DB . I use the muffs and plugs when hunitng if I am sitting and only the muffs while still hunting.

Last edited by saddlesore; 02/11/21.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
A Magnaport would be ideal as it does not spray blast and gasses out the bottom towards the ground and because the gas releases forward top and sideways, holds the barrel down for a more controllable recoil. It has a very pronounced benefit on a 26" .340 so I certainly would consider it for this hot 6.5. The other thing is that it does not raise muzzle blast in that I never noticed any change on 2 rifles I had done during testing for an article. (I paid for the Magnaport as Joe Citizen and am not endorsed)

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I think I've decided against trying the brake for now. I just picked up the rifle and scoped it. It's 10lbs-15oz. And, when I take it to the range tomorrow, I'll put a 1lb bipod on it for the range work. I just don't think I need to reduce the recoil of the 6.5-300 in that package at the expense of all of the blast and noise.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I have 10% additional hearing loss in my Left Ear vs Right Ear due to one pull of the trigger on a braked rifle while shooting off the hood of a truck. I have shot other braked rifles since that incident. However, only one was mine. And it went down the road. I will work on stock fit, recoil pad, rifle weight, barrel contour, shooting technique, hearing protection, scope and scope mounts to mitigate recoil. Not a brake.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
694 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 11point, 160user, 117LBS, 12344mag, 81 invisible), 2,657 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,691
Posts18,399,843
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.