Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by Dre
I have a friend who’s building a 300 PRC so he can shoot elk 1000 yards.
He is an archery guy but wants a Long range gun. I tried to tell him to start off small like 6.5CM to hone his shooting skills for fraction of the price. It fell on deaf ears.

start out with a .223

This. A fast-twist 223 is an ideal setup to learn to shoot both long and short. Perfect for learning trajectory, wind reading, etc. Low recoil, low priced ammo.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MtnHtr
Good info MH. How about shooting angles? Far less trajectory when shooting steep uphill or downhill. Something to keep in mind if you hunt steep terrain, seen alot of hunters shoot too high on steep downhill shots.

On a lot of sites, including this one: http://www.shooterscalculator.com/ballistic-trajectory-chart.php, you can plug in the angle of the trajectory.

When I knew I was going to be hunting the spot pictured below, I reran the numbers for the angle down to the to that pond about 550 yds distant. I think it only changed the point of impact a couple of inches, but I can't recall for certain. That was about a year and a half ago. I'm going back there this October if I don't draw a tag for the unit on which my property sits. The one in the pic is OTC.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you really want to get technical. you can mount a cosign indicator to your gun to adjust yardage. That being said, I haven't found a big enough difference unless you're at an extreme angle or extreme distance.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Long range hunting isn't anymore risky than archery.... funny part is archery hunters are revered in some circles as "real" hunters.

I don't really have a problem with bowhunting, as I was once an avid bowhunter, and have taken a number of deer with a bow. But, there is a part of bowhunting that I do have a problem with, and that is what we often see on the hunting shows..................

Guy hunting shoots a nice buck and buck runs off.
Hunter and cameraman "review" the film, declare that the buck was "hit a little too far back", which in redneck terms mean the deer was gut shot, and then decide to "back out of here" and come back in the morning.
Deer is found the next morning, and unfortunately the coyotes found it before the hunter did.
But, hunter still does high fives, thank's the Lord, and cries for the camera, declaring this is his best buck ever.
Meanwhile, all that's salvaged of the deer is the antlers.

Personally, I would never broadcast such an event for public viewing, as stuff like that only serves to give ammo for the anti-hunters. But, for some reason, there is an element in the archery hunting community that has no problem with it. Now, to be fair, as gut shot deer is a gut shot deer, regardless of what it's shot with. However, it is something we should all as hunters try to avoid doing, and if we do, not put it out there for the world to see.

I won't advocate salvaging antlers only, let alone filming the fiasco and making it into a hunting show, but plenty of rifle hunters do what you described too. Archers don't have a monopoly on that shïtshow.

In certain situations I feel it is the best move to back out and wait overnight, taking your chances with the coyotes. I've seen several wounded critters pushed onto private or a hellhole by folks pushing them. Gut/liver shot critters quite often bed down within a couple hundred yards and die overnight, if they're not pushed. It sucks, but at least you have a chance to find it and salvage things vs loosing it entirely to private land.

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by Dre
He is an archery guy but wants a Long range gun. I tried to tell him to start off small like 6.5CM to hone his shooting skills for fraction of the price. It fell on deaf ears.

start out with a .223

This. A fast-twist 223 is an ideal setup to learn to shoot both long and short. Perfect for learning trajectory, wind reading, etc. Low recoil, low priced ammo.

223 is a one of my favorites. He doesn’t re load and finding the heavier pills might not be the easiest. I do agree it’s the most economical way to learn.
Yet the 6.5.... before all this, I was getting S&B 140 fmj for 10.99 a box.
Also, I figure with 6.5 he can do target, deer and elk with in reasonable distances.
Doesn’t matter. He’s having a 300 built

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Dre
Originally Posted by Dre

start out with a .223

223 is a one of my favorites. He doesn’t re load and finding the heavier pills might not be the easiest. I do agree it’s the most economical way to learn.
Yet the 6.5.... before all this, I was getting S&B 140 fmj for 10.99 a box.
Also, I figure with 6.5 he can do target, deer and elk with in reasonable distances.
Doesn’t matter. He’s having a 300 built

He'll get humbled real quick shooting at a gong 800 and beyond.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by DLSguide
It is laughable that Dogcatcher compares Archery hunting to long range shooting. Tell me how be able to get inside 50 yds of an animal is the same as watching game from 1000yds with a spotting scope. At 1000yds don't need to worry about the wind , noise, or movement. Actual hunting vs shooting. Not even close.

Yup, sitting 20 ft. up in a tree or blind... or maybe calling a rut crazed elk right to your lap. Bow hunters get the prime time seasons because it used to be considered primitive. They now have there fair share of ‘long rangers’ - 70 or 100 yards. Hell, 50 was a no-no back in the day.

Bow hunter elites, gotta love ‘em. Bet you belong to BHA too....

Thought I’d clicked on the long range hunting forum.

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
Originally Posted by elkmen1
Looking at energy charts for some high. BC, 100 gr bullets, I find that the energy listed at 600 yards is less than 2/3 the minimum recommended for elk. This is with a starting velocity of 3600 fps.

Make sure you correct for elevation, given that many people hunt elk at higher places.

For example, my 6.5-300 Wby launches a factory-loaded 130gr SS at 3,416 fps. At 700 yards: (1) at sea level, it's producing 1,488 ft-lbs, but (2) at 10,000 feet (which is the lowest elevation where I hunt elk and mule deer), it's producing 1,906 ft-lbs.

As a side note, the bullet also drops 8.5" fewer inches at 10,000 feet in the sky versus at sea level at 700 yds. That's a significant factor to keep in mind IMO.

Since I left Idaho in 2007 I have not given 10,000 feet elevation a thought. My Wyoming elk this year came from around 8,000 at 300 yards, my bull in Oregon at 3,00 feet at 410 yards. I live at 1200 feet elevation, and adjust my range cards for 6,000 so I am somewhat in the middle range of my hunting altitudes. I will need to be more aware.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Like already mentioned I am sure that we only see the "perfect" shots, not the ones that took a step at the shot and wandered over the hill to die, miles later, or where a unseen twig, deflected the bullet. Way back when, there were minimum energy standards recommended for both deer and elk. If my addled old brain recalls them it was 2,000 lbs for elk with a minimum of 1500

Craig Boddington started that and has since disavowed it. Where do you think those numbers came from? That they're nice round numbers should be a clue. As is the fact that many people routinely kill elk with weapons that fall short, like muzzleloaders.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
smokepole----It was Townsend Whelen, and 1500 is not an even number. I have killed several elk with an muzzleloader none over 100 yards. Let alone 600 or 700. I know you are dissing the energy recommendation, however there is more than just energy necessary for a long range hit. And the variables increase with distance. The state of Colorado references these numbers today in a great discussion regarding caliber choices, as do many current hunting and shooting articles, they are a guide just like caliber restrictions, nothing will ever be perfect,

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
That whole 1,500-2,000 foot pounds of energy was and is pure nonsense. I have been killing elk for many years with a puny little .308. On average the shots tend to be between 400 and 500 yards, as that is simply the type of shots that present themselves in the late season hunts and the terrain I hunt. I have used the little .308 effectively at greater distances (past 600) but the mid 4s are average.

The .308 was not producing energy numbers anywhere close to 2,000 FT #s at 400 yards. At 600 yards it was producing about 1100. I pay ZERO attention to foot pound charts. The formula that has worked for me is to simply find a load that shoots well with a decent bullet, buy in bulk such as 2,000 rds of 155 scenars at a whack:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

then practice, practice, practice, then go shoot elk.

Then laugh when people (most of whom have very little or no experience killing elk) say that you can't do what you have been doing for years.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
smokepole----It was Townsend Whelen, and 1500 is not an even number. I have killed several elk with an muzzleloader none over 100 yards. Let alone 600 or 700. I know you are dissing the energy recommendation, however there is more than just energy necessary for a long range hit. And the variables increase with distance. The state of Colorado references these numbers today in a great discussion regarding caliber choices, as do many current hunting and shooting articles, they are a guide just like caliber restrictions, nothing will ever be perfect,

I don't think it's a good idea to conflate recommendations with legal restrictions with ethics. None are expressions of reality, but rather, they are values that humans have created that are distinct from reality, and thus are fluid and arbitrary.

If you don't like the way another guy does something, don't do it that way. Do it the way you think it should be done. As you state, nothing will ever be perfect. This is certainly true for all hunting using projectiles.

There are things other guys do that I would consider unethical if I did them. Taking shots well outside the range of the average hunting shot isn't one of those. As long as everyone is acting conscientiously, what gripe can I really have about the way another does things? For every skill I possess, there are guys that have a lot more of it than I do. This is certainly true for all hunting using projectiles.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
smokepole----It was Townsend Whelen,.....

I think that's who I first read asserting that too.

1500 is not an even number.

It is, was and always will be.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 02/08/21.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I don't think it's a good idea to conflate recommendations with legal restrictions with ethics. None are expressions of reality, but rather, they are values that humans have created that are distinct from reality, and thus are fluid and arbitrary.

Especially whe you consider that it's OK for the US Miltary to use the 5.56 as its primary small arms chambering for killing people but the State of Colorado prohibits its use to kill deer.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Redhill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What many have said about selective editing of these long range hunting videos is certainly correct. The ones that I was watching were impressive indeed at the effect of the bullet having on those critters at those long ranges. I admire those that have the skill set that they took time developing to produce such results.

Clint Eastwood said it right in one of his movies "A man has got to know his limitations". I agree with Clint or rather Dirty Harry but some of us are more limited than others.

Some will have the time, money, and access to build long range rifles and become very proficient with them due to lots of lots of lots of practice. Then to them what is a slam dunk shot at 775 yards is way beyond the comprehensive of someone who has always rifle hunted for whitetails out of a tree stand or blind where the long shots are across beanfields at 250-300 yards and a box of 20 shells lasts them for 5 years.. Both are right in their own opinion. The long range shooter has been out shooting canyons to canyon or in competition or just out in the hills practicing his craft. It's always great to watch someone who is good at what they do.....rather than to criticize them because the do things differently than you do them in your different setting.

I was a bowhunter for many years and took over 40 animals with a compound without sights shooting fingers at ranges from 5 yards to too far to be believed. That was when only one deer or elk per year is permitted. I would shoot in archery competitions and practiced about two nights a week in my backyard range. I would shoot and cleanly take animals with my bow at distances that some would say were "unethical" in their opinion; whereas my response to them was simple.....they were more limited.

Long range shooting is a newer and developing way to take game animals at greater distances than ever before due to technology in all the associated equipment and the skill set that can be developed with the required practice to become effective. Many will say "that ain't hunting" when an observer could reply that guy is simply more limited. I find it interesting and challenging and great fun to move forward acquiring tools and the skill set to become proficient at the art.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by DeadHead
They don’t show videos of the ones who run off crippled is probably one of the reasons. I doubt any of those animals hit at long range would drop any faster if hit the same from a shorter distance

There is some evidence that bullets heat up significantly the longer they are in flight, as in what Hornady found when testing long-range BC and noting that the plastic tips on their bullets melted at ranges typical of longer range shots. I've noticed that bullets like Bergers seem to do more damage at longer distances, rather than shorter. That could be because their temperature is several hundred degrees, and they are softer. I don't know, but I've experienced and seen it quite a bit.

The heat that Hornady refers to was from aerodynamic drag. The back of the bullet will actually cool as it's been heated by the powder. Copper is a tremendously efficient conductor, so the whole jacket will stabilize pretty quickly. The copper is definitely not hot enough to change its ductility.

If there's any observed difference, it's likely due to velocity.

V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
Don't believe everything you see on tv.

I can't quite agree more on that. Media is the real pandemic.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by beretzs
I don’t particularly love the LR only sorta killing but to me a fella that prepares and is ready to take the shot he’s given isn’t a bad guy in my book....I wanna capitalize on what the good Lord puts in front of me.

+1

I agree. Everyone’s capabilities are different and if we have a bit of discipline and stay within our own abilities then a better chance of good outcomes.
With that being said, the only thing I don’t really understand is needing a title of “long range hunting” or labeling oneself as a “long range hunter”. Seems kind of meaningless to me because I assume all hunters try and get as close as possible within our comfort/ability zone.
Unfortunately I think the reality might be different. There may be a lot of “long range hunters” out there that intentionally set up very long shots.

Last edited by mod7rem; 02/11/21.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Long range hunting isn't anymore risky than archery.... funny part is archery hunters are revered in some circles as "real" hunters.

I understand and agree with what you’re saying in regards to the risk of a clean kill vs wounding, but you have to admit that there is big difference in the amount of “hunting” required to get into a shot position with a bow vs a long range shot with a rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mod7rem

I understand and agree with what you’re saying in regards to the risk of a clean kill vs wounding, but you have to admit that there is big difference in the amount of “hunting” required to get into a shot position with a bow vs a long range shot with a rifle.

It depends on how you define "hunting". I think of hunting as the pursuit and endeavor to seek out and kill something. Hunting can require several different skill sets. If you're stand hunting, then patience, holding still, and marksmanship are paramount. If you're still hunting, spot-and-stalk hunting, etc, then stalking may be a major skill set required, in addition to marksmanship. If you're calling, baiting, or driving, then stalking isn't all that important. If you were to use a knife or spear, shooting skill wouldn't be required at all. Yet all of these are different styles of hunting. Essentially, I think a lot of times people on this forum conflate stalking with "hunting". I would agree that LR hunting requires less stalking skill than SR hunting does. But it requires more shooting skill. Some guys enjoy hunting that involves more stalking, and other guys like hunting that involves more shooting. Both are hunting in my book.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

266 members (12344mag, 160user, 2500HD, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 24 invisible), 2,527 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,726
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.