Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
I know this has been discussed before but from someone who actually has to purchase from suppliers, has your price for loaded ammo really gone up 2.5-3X? That appears to be what is reflected locally and online. Big retailers seem to be holding prices and I can't imagine them losing money intentionally. I don't know enough about the ordering to have a valid opinion but it does appear some online vendors and local shops are gouging to take advantage of the situation we are in. Maybe it's the best way to slow down demand while supply catches back up?

Luckily I reload, but still wish I had several thousand more primers on hand. I'm likely stocked up for over a year at the rate I shoot for small rifle and pistol, longer than that for large rifle. I would like to get back to $0.30/rd ammo on .223 so I can just buy it instead of having to load to shoot.

GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
My LGS is currently selling Primers for $200-250 per brick. Their reasoning is that they are having a tough time getting them and people are paying $300 + on GB, so they are preventing scalpers from profiting so much. My Local Sportsman’s Warehouse rarely has primers, but I recently bought a brick of Federal LR match primers recently for $28. To the LGS credit, at that price their supply they do get lasts days instead of minutes, increasing availability over time. Downside is those that got caught short pay for lack of foresight. I don’t judge than for doing it, it’s current market conditions. Regarding ammo, I’m sure the story is similar at retail venues. Another LGS requires purchase of 200 bullets with the purchase of a pound of powder. His prices have gone up a bit but are reasonable. Turns out he invested heavily in bullets , powder and primers, but only the powder and primers sold.

Old70

U
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by old70
My LGS is currently selling Primers for $200-250 per brick. Their reasoning is that they are having a tough time getting them and people are paying $300 + on GB, so they are preventing scalpers from profiting so much.

crazy That's an interesteing way to try to explain it, LOL. Saving us from the gougers by charging just under the top gouger pricing. Most of the LGS are smart enough to keep ammo back for guns they are able to get in becuase no one wants to buy a gun they can't ammo for. I just get a little pissed when you hear and see Academy, Cabelas, etc selling ammo for near pre-panic prices and these local shops are selling it as soon as it comes in a 3 times the price. Someone is either losing their a$$ or gouging, so which is it?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Price
Value
Worth

Hard to determine when comes to ammo....

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Primers are going for up to $50.00 a sleeve of 100 on Gunbroker.

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I'm involved in a small business making 9mm and 5.56. We run a half dozen Camdex machines and average a few million rounds per month. Availability of components right now is tough and it's not what you know but who you know in order to keep a supply in the pipeline. The only way we've managed is we've prebought our primers for a year in advance with OEM suppliers who we have relationships with and are willing to hook us up with preferential service.

I can assure you that our retail prices follow our costs and there's no looney conspiracy to gouge among small businesses like us. The only gouging I've seen is where average Joes who invested in lots of ammo over the last few years are now selling and making a profit on their speculation. The prices I've seen on retailers shelves accurately reflect their costs as near as I can tell and in some cases I'm amazed that they are not asking for more money.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Bought rem umc .45 acp ball at 35 bucks for 50 rounds.
5.56 ball I think israeli, is selling at 50 for 50.
It sells but aint exactly flying off the shelves

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Primers.
Cant find large rifle anywhere
Pistol seems to be 150 a K.
Most folks here want to trade one type/ size for another.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
one thing that is going on, that is driving prices upward, is folks are selling their 'stash' to local gun shops. I have personally seen it happen. In one case, 9mm was sold to the store for .75 a round. The store will sell it for over a dollar a round.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 02/12/21.

Sam......

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
As with anything, buy low and sell high.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
one thing that is going on, that is driving prices upward, is folks are selling their 'stash't to local gun shops. I have personally seen it happen. In one case, 9mm was sold to the store for .75 a round. The store will sell it for over a dollar a round.

I saw a gun shop bidding and buying bulk ammo the other day. He was scarfing bulk ammo up.

I have no doubt he'll break open the cases and sell 20 round boxes much higher.

Really don't have a big problem with that, mostly because if he didn't have a market, he wouldn't be doing it.

You can't really impress on people that they need to stock up when prices are low, and ammo is flowing like a river...

You can say it over and over, and people just don't listen. History doesn't teach those type anything.

Those types that DON'T stock up are the same ones squealing like a pig under a gate when they are out or low on ammo. whistle

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
BTW i draw the line at 40 bucks a box of 50 in .45 acp ball
Thats about 2x what it used to be

I could hardly pay 35.

LOL

300 rounds last me all summer.
Aint exactly target shooting weather outside either.
So just bought a couple for maybe a good weekend

Buying to shoot, not save.

Last edited by hookeye; 02/12/21.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The real question is will it return to "normal" or is this the new normal?

I'm sufficiently stocked up. But I'm hesitant to use any of it-because replacing it may cost me a fortune.

I have enough to hunt and stay practiced enough to hunt. But can't just go shoot recreationally like before.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by hookeye

Yep. Those who stockpiled while prices were low (like during the year 2019) and are selling for current market price are not gougers. They're simply taking profits while the going is good. If it were stocks or gold, we'd applaud them for being smart investors.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Once you sell it, it’s gone. Catch 22.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by hookeye

Yep. Those who stockpiled while prices were low (like during the years 2019) and are selling for current market price are not gougers. They're simply taking profits while the going is good. If it were stocks or gold, we'd applaud them for being smart investors.

Indeed.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by rwa3006
I'm involved in a small business making 9mm and 5.56. We run a half dozen Camdex machines and average a few million rounds per month. Availability of components right now is tough and it's not what you know but who you know in order to keep a supply in the pipeline. The only way we've managed is we've prebought our primers for a year in advance with OEM suppliers who we have relationships with and are willing to hook us up with preferential service.

I can assure you that our retail prices follow our costs and there's no looney conspiracy to gouge among small businesses like us. The only gouging I've seen is where average Joes who invested in lots of ammo over the last few years are now selling and making a profit on their speculation. The prices I've seen on retailers shelves accurately reflect their costs as near as I can tell and in some cases I'm amazed that they are not asking for more money.

good response

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R

exactly. well said ......again

I just had to pay 65 a box for 300 win mag vortex, I was lucky to find. my fault for not stocking up and having enough 30 cal bullets for reloading

Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
one thing that is going on, that is driving prices upward, is folks are selling their 'stash't to local gun shops. I have personally seen it happen. In one case, 9mm was sold to the store for .75 a round. The store will sell it for over a dollar a round.

I saw a gun shop bidding and buying bulk ammo the other day. He was scarfing bulk ammo up.

I have no doubt he'll break open the cases and sell 20 round boxes much higher.

Really don't have a big problem with that, mostly because if he didn't have a market, he wouldn't be doing it.

You can't really impress on people that they need to stock up when prices are low, and ammo is flowing like a river...

You can say it over and over, and people just don't listen. History doesn't teach those type anything.

Those types that DON'T stock up are the same ones squealing like a pig under a gate when they are out or low on ammo. whistle

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 16bore
Once you sell it, it’s gone. Catch 22.

Yep, not selling any of my stash. Might do even trades for some things I could use more of, like LRP for LPP.

I like to shoot.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Even though I have plenty of ammo, I'm miserly with it.

Instead to hunting hogs with top shelf premium ammo, I use reliable, acceptably accurate cheap bulk ammo. NO FMJ's. It's hunting.... Not paper punching or tin can rattling. Even a hog deserves a clean death.

Caught myself finishing off a hog the other night with my 1911 loaded with 230gr HydroShoks... Ummm.... Nope. Switched those out to ball ammo for that purpose. Cheaper and I have more of them.

Practice with a 22.

Leave the centerfire cartridges where they are. Sparing use the .22lr ammo too, but not at the expense of not practicing or having fun.

In these times, be wise with what you shoot, and how you shoot it.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

703 members (1234, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 3,095 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,485
Posts18,451,946
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.