Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
I've had access to tow trucks most of my life and they always seem like a relatively easy way to bring in money.

Anybody here actually had a primary or side business that strictly did towing? I'm sure having a lot and county or city impound type contracts would be a whole other can of worms, but I'm wondering about strictly towing and dropping.

Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I did on-call nights and weekends for a while. I made good money. The owner cleaned up...

The owner hooked some for a repo guy. Sometimes made nearly a weeks pay as a bonus on those...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If I had one a few years ago, I would’ve picked up interstate abandones and took them to the crusher for $260 a ton.

lol

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Wasn’t there a guy here a few years ago who converted his Avalanche into a tow truck for bears?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm thinkin' you can't hookup most these new cars with the old traditional style wreckers, gotta have a flatbed roll on.

I gotta car trailer with a winch mounted on it that does just fine.
I get plenty of "hey Jeff, you still got that car trailer" phone calls from friends in need.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by efw
Wasn’t there a guy here a few years ago who converted his Avalanche into a tow truck for bears?

Yep, and I was busting his balls on Mewe this morning again too. I been doggin' that mf'er like a rented mule over there.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Licenses, insurance, etc. make it difficult to have as a viable part time gig. Folks who do it full time do pretty well around here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I think he (claiborne) actually had a person with a wrecker with “5 miles of cable” pull that bear out

The uberlanche was for sale, as I recall, all cherry’d up and perfect. Only 230,000 miles and a burnt trqnsmission ya know just cosmetic stuff.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JeffA
I'm thinkin' you can't hookup most these new cars with the old traditional style wreckers, gotta have a flatbed roll on.

I gotta car trailer with a wench mounted on it that does just fine.
I get plenty of "hey Jeff, you still got that car trailer" phone calls from friends in need.

That wench got blue eyes and blonde hair?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by efw

Fugg ya. Three miles of cable on that batch too.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A buddy of mine had a tow truck, he would use it to repo cars on the reservation, he contracted with the local car lots that would carry the note.... got a job, buy a car deal.
It was kinda risky business but at least he wasn't on call

PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Better have you wits about you if you are doing repos. I guy I worked with a guy years ago had a son who did repo. The son was shot and killed by a guy who was living in the back of a van he tried to repo.

deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Licenses, insurance, etc. make it difficult to have as a viable part time gig. Folks who do it full time do pretty well around here.

Are you referring to full on tow companies with a shop and an impound lot?

I know it would vary by location but I'd be curious to hear ball park figures on just licensing and insurance a tow rig.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by atomchaser
Better have you wits about you if you are doing repos. I guy I worked with a guy years ago had a son who did repo. The son was shot and killed by a guy who was living in the back of a van he tried to repo.

I would take judo lessons first so no worries.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Dad had an auto salvage from the late ‘60s till he died in 010. His first wrecker was a Studebaker pickup with a homemade boom! Ran the winch with a starter and flywheel!
In the mid ‘70s he bought an F350 with a Holmes double boom. You could separate them and swing out over the side for winching and picking up wrecks. We did the 24 hr towing/recovery and later bought an F600 with a flatbed rollback bed.
The big money wasn’t in towing, but storage of wrecks afterwards. Maybe $50 for hauling it in, but $30 a day until the insurance would decide on what was gonna be done with it. Usually a week for the adjuster to come look at it, maybe another week or two until a repair shop or insurance salvage came and picked it up.
Back when cars had bumpers it wasn’t a big deal, but nowadays you’ve gotta get under the wheels or have a flatbed. Plastic and glass ain’t got no place you can hook to.
The Old Man was hell for loading the rollback up with aluminum, iron or copper to haul in for scrap. We’d load her up in the afternoon to haul in in the morning. I was working 3rd shift and I’d always help him get stuff gathered up and loaded. I don’t know how many damn times he’d get a call and shove everything off on the ground to go pick one up. Next day, I was back loading the damn scrap! mad I tried to tell him I’d pay the towing price just to avoid the extra work, but he’d just laugh.
I sure don’t miss getting outta bed at 2 or 3 in the morning to go out in the damn blizzard because some drunk missed the turn. That’s for the younger people! laugh
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by efw

I believe there was........
laugh

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
deflave Offline OP
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by johnw
I did on-call nights and weekends for a while. I made good money. The owner cleaned up...

The owner hooked some for a repo guy. Sometimes made nearly a weeks pay as a bonus on those...

Were the majority of your calls "oh fugk" or "illegal parking" type calls?

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Not tow, just the oen

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I knew a guy who did it full time. He taught his sons how to siphon gas out of the cars and search cars for money. Real upstanding guy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A white back, we had a thread about the Johnstown flood of 1977.
A couple days later, Dad had the wrecker at my grandma’s house in Hornerstown. Some fellow, I guess a subcontractor for the insurance outfits hired Dad to haul disabled cars out of Johnstown up to Richland, where they later actioned them off. This guy had several guys with wrecker service, hooking them up and towing them up to Richland. We spent 2 weeks at it. $50 bucks a clip, 6 or more trips a day until the mess was cleaned up and things put back together.
I forget how much the Old Man had coming, but it was a chunk of change.
He and the other wreckers never saw a nickel. The guy skipped town! Time and fuel wasted!
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
105 members (338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 12 invisible), 1,383 guests, and 664 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,868
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.