24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Local shop has a used Ithaca 37 16ga. Nothing fancy, 28" plain barrel, mod choke. Nothing fancy, 1967 vintage from what I can tell (S/N 974xx). Asking price is $300, but it has a couple of issues. Most glaring is the stock, which has had a huge chip in the toe taken out of it and poorly (being generous here) repaired. The other, less 'pressing' issue is that it's configured with a left hand safety. I have it set aside, for now.

I found that the 12ga stock does not fit the 16ga. However, the 16 and 20 share the same frame and stocks 'should' be interchangeable. My initial research has netted me virtually nothing as far as finding a new or used, replacement stock. The gun is shoot-able, but I'd like to minimize its issues. Hence I'm on the fence as to whether or not I should pursue the purchase of this gun. I don't 'need' another Ithaca 37, 16ga - I have a 16ga solid rib.

Thoughts.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A repair to the toe is a pretty simple repair,

Bottom half of the toe was missing, replaced with walnut from a broken Rem 721 stock and a little fitting. I wanted it shootable so didn't worry too much about matching the grain. Last year of production Manufrance Robust.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Numrich's have them.
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/ithacaskb/shotguns-ithaca/37-2/stocks-ith37

Last edited by erich; 02/12/21.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
The safety in a 37 is reversible with no modifications. Shouldn’t be an issue to tear it down and swap it back.

I’d probably be tempted to give that for it even though I have two 16ga 37s already. If you don’t already have one you definitely need it.

C
C
Common place for them to crack, and on top, when people don't keep the through bolt snug as they age and the wood dries out. Not a lot of surface area on the head of the stock and glassbedding helps prevent it too.

You can find replacements on ebay from time to time. You can also get replacement stock sets or stocks from the current Ithaca Gun company including 16 ga.

Buttstock

Stock set with hardware

They are the "modern" steeper radius pistol grip. Which I don't mind so much. On my 12 ga. Ohio made gun replaced the wood with AAA wood for waterfowl. Grandpa and my father never used camo or black guns and killed lots of bird without it. I have too.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

I have a bunch of 37's mainly in 16 ga. I like 26" IC for grouse. Either pre 1955 or even King Ferry UL English Deluxe, they both work well in killing grouse.

Grew up with a 28" Mod 37 in 16 ga. And for quite a few years shot all types of game with it pretty much everything under the sun. It is the most versatile IMO. If I had to have only one, ohhh I shudder just at the thought of that, never mind.

If you are not in a hurry take your time and should be able to find a good condition 37 for around that price for the same money. Although given the craziness in the world now who knows, maybe not.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
You can find replacements on ebay from time to time. You can also get replacement stock sets or stocks from the current Ithaca Gun company including 16 ga.

Buttstock

Stock set with hardware

Yea, I did some research before posting this thread and came across the above. Was hoping to find something maybe a little more utilitarian, and thus easier on the billfold.

FWIW, I went back to the shop that had the Ithaca 16ga in question. Told the guy I had given it some consideration and that I was going to pass, but thanks for holding it. He asked why I was passing on it and I told him that I thought it was too much money given the condition of the stock and some small freckling on the barrel. In a kind of sarcastic voice he asked what I'd give for it. I thought for a minute and in my own sarcastic voice told him $200. He looked at me in a state of shock, probably from the fact that I had the stones to low-ball him. I started to walk away, and he says, "let's do some paperwork". I was shocked, but I also walked out the door with a 16ga Ithaca 37.

I'm going to take the stock to a fellow that has done some stock repair for others I know and see if he can clean it up. In the meantime I'll have my eyes and ears open to a clean, used Ithaca 37 16ga stock.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Wifi you done good the stock repair isn't that hard, time, glue, piece of walnut and some wood working skills probably a new buttplate or add a pad. They came from a time when companies had pride in what went out the door . I have a 37R in 16 and it could use some minor stock work too . I will do it myself and restore it to it s original glory. Light and fast handling. The last hunt I made years a go with my llewelyn strain English setter female was at 14 for her she was birdy and locked up in about 30 yds I walked up and a sharptail came up at 25 yds and I shot it. She was half way to the bird and another pair came up on the right I shot them too. My old gun is full choked would be better modified but I just use old shells loaded with nitro cards and fiber wads they work fine on closer birds. Mb congrats on your score.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
When I bought my 37, it was set up with a lefty safety too. Buy the right handed safety, watch a youtube video and the swap is very simple. Sell the lefty safety on here or on eBay. I also changed out the Raybar front site for a large brass bead, opened the choke waaay up, and cut and refinished the stock into an English style grip. It's now an upland woodcock, grouse and bunny slayer. Oh and it's a 16.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice rig. If the lefty safety fits a 12 gauge also, shoot me a pm with what you want for it. Thanks

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Good find at a decent price.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Contact these guys and see when they'll be back in stock...

http://gunstocksinc.com/web_pages/Plate-pics/Ithaca-Stocks/Ithaca-stocks.htm

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fallschirmjaeger
Contact these guys and see when they'll be back in stock...

http://gunstocksinc.com/web_pages/Plate-pics/Ithaca-Stocks/Ithaca-stocks.htm

Will do.

Not sure what changes occurred in the stocks around S/N 855,00 but the one listed are for guns with S/Ns less that that. S/N on this latest Ithaca 37 acquisition is 936XXX. I suspect that the change may have been to the drawbolt tang.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I saw a stock set for a 16 on eBay... but they wanted a half of what you paid for the gun for it.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fallschirmjaeger
I saw a stock set for a 16 on eBay... but they wanted a half of what you paid for the gun for it.

I've seen a couple on ePay as well. Probably the same ones.

FWIW, I've been working on the stock of this 37 for a few weeks now. Took me a while, but I found a small chunk of walnut with similar grain and have it attached to the old portion of the stock. Haven't touched it in a while but the next step is to put it on the edge sander and try and match up the stock lines. Patience is a virtue .. . . .

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Good luck... They're great guns...the 16s are light and slick. Mine has been hell on grouse, woodcock and phez...especially when I remember to pump (I'm used to doubles).

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by erich
A repair to the toe is a pretty simple repair,

Bottom half of the toe was missing, replaced with walnut from a broken Rem 721 stock and a little fitting. I wanted it shootable so didn't worry too much about matching the grain. Last year of production Manufrance Robust.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Numrich's have them.
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/ithacaskb/shotguns-ithaca/37-2/stocks-ith37

Nice repair job.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
We'll I took the 'plunge' this past weekend and did my best to resurrect the stock on my Ithaca 37, 16ga. Still a ways to go, but I'm really happy with the progress so far. Check it out in the gunsmithing forum link below.

Butt Stock Repair

Last edited by WiFowler; 11/02/21.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Pretty much finished. Couple more top coats and sanding and we'll call it good.

First pics are of the initial wood work and the toe splice.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Looks like you got the grain matched exceptionally well atleast on 1 side. Well done. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
701 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 3,036 guests, and 1,412 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,680
Posts18,399,622
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.