Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by MarineHawk
I think I've decided against trying the brake for now. I just picked up the rifle and scoped it. It's 10lbs-15oz. And, when I take it to the range tomorrow, I'll put a 1lb bipod on it for the range work. I just don't think I need to reduce the recoil of the 6.5-300 in that package at the expense of all of the blast and noise.

I love brakes in the right situation, like to go without them in other situations...........for example if I am coyote hunting I would never take a braked rifle because I don't wear hearing protection. when I am hunting prairie dogs or rock chucks most of my rifles are braked because I love spotting my own shot and it is not possible with a gun bigger than a 223 and hearing protection is always on................Big Game is a different story, depends on the situation, If I know it's going to be a really long shot I will take a braked rifle, If not I will take un braked rifle.........this is why a man needs many rifles to choose from !!!!!!!!!

BP-B6

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by boatanchor

I love brakes in the right situation, like to go without them in other situations...........for example if I am coyote hunting I would never take a braked rifle because I don't wear hearing protection. when I am hunting prairie dogs or rock chucks most of my rifles are braked because I love spotting my own shot and it is not possible with a gun bigger than a 223 and hearing protection is always on................Big Game is a different story, depends on the situation, If I know it's going to be a really long shot I will take a braked rifle, If not I will take un braked rifle.........this is why a man needs many rifles to choose from !!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the comments BoatAnchor. I shot my rifle for the first time today, and didn't use the brake. Perhaps when I'm older, I might consider using one. But the 6.5-300 just doesn't kick hard enough in the rifle to bother me. If I wasn't worried about the extra length, I might consider a can. Don't they reduce both recoil and noise? If so, that would be nice, but it also seems like a lot of trouble. Without the brake, I still has able to see through the scope the huge ball of flame coming out of the end of the barrel each time I pulled the trigger.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Buy a can
Don’t look back

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
If you light one off with a brake, you best have ear protection on. You done fuucked up if you don’t. I jumped a pig one day, hit him on the run with a 300 Win mag with a brake. My ears rang for days, sold it, won’t have one now.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Shot once w a brake W no protection at an elk
Gun shop clerk said it was no big deal once in a while when hunting
That was 1995, my ears are still ringing
Almost never shot a center fire again until I got a can 20y later

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by huntsman22
buck frakes......

+1....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Our 340 Weatherby magnum is not braked. That tells you all you need to know. If brakes were more of a blessing than a curse it would have one

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I had a KDF varmint brake made up for my .338 Win Mag when I got it shortened to 23". I also got a muzzle cap. The brake did reduce recoil. subjectively it seemed similar to a .270 with 130 gr bullets.

I only used the brake a few times. They are obnoxiously loud and the blast on a covered range does not make friends. Hunting with one, everyone in the party has to have ear protection on at all times or they risk damage.

The brake is in my reloading die box and will stay there until I sell it or pass. A Decelerator pad and a McMillan stock were also added and seemed to help with the effect of recoil a lot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not a fan of brakes for hunting, don't like the brakes others use at the range. Had my papers and other items cleared off my bench by another persons brake, had to ask him to move to the end of the line where no one else was near. Have also had hot particles down my neck from a ported Marlin 45-70 shooting two benches away. Called a cease fire on that one.

My only braked rifle is my Ruger Scout 308 with 16.1" barrel. Really drops the recoil, so I understand the attraction. Side vented. Not nearly as obnoxious as a big magnum with a brake. But still louder than unbraked.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Well, I'm building a 338 RUM. It will have a Fat Bastard brake.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rifle fire causes irreversible hearing damage with or without a brake. I hunt solo and use both hearing protection and a brake. No issues.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mart
Originally Posted by jorgeI
If you need a brake, drop down a caliber...or five. Godawful things.

Amen brother. Loathsome things.

I hate them,,I've been blasted to many times!!

I tend to use more than enough gun
J
JJF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by rabst
I've been hunting with braked rifles, even non-magnums, almost exclusively since the late 1980s. I wear comfortable in-the-ear-canal noise-dampening hearing protection all the time. No regrets.

I agree with Jordan above. Being able to stay on target, even to see the reaction on impact (even, sometimes, discerning a clean miss vs. a hit) is well worth the extra noise to me.

Invest in good hearing protection. IMHO, don't worry about the brake.

In my experience, POI may or may not be affected, when replacing the brake with a thread protector, depending on the rifle/load.
I agree. I use brakes on both of my centerfire hunting rifles and am able to see the reaction on impact. I wear electronic ear muffs, so noise is not a factor. However, I hunt exclusively from tree stands, so I don't see any disadvantages in using a brake. I have heard that they are rough on scopes, due to the way rifle recoil is affected but don't know that for sure, as I only use my hunting rifles during deer season.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Hate being next to them at the range, would never be able to bring myself around to subjecting others to the blast and puff. Would never use them out hunting. I try and use ear muffs when I'm out hunting but don't always get a chance to put them on.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I always us hearing protection when at the range,but hunting I don't.I've had a hearing test recently and it checked out good,so I guess all the years of shooting hasn't hurt them too bad.More damage has been done by diesel engines that gave me tinnitus than a few gun blast when hunting. I recently bought a rifle that has a no name break on it.I shot it on a hunt without hearing protection and I really didn't notice it to be offensively load or any different than my non braked rifle.I can say one thing about it,this has to be the best recoil reducing brake I've ever shot.It's on my 300 Win Mag and I feel really nothing.It's like shooting a really small caliber rifle.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Mine feels like a 30-06 kick. I do not have a MB on it.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MtnT
Buy a can
Don’t look back

Putting a can on a WBY is like putting 20" rims on a corvette.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i am not a person who uses a brake on my hunting rifles except for my 338 Lapua that`s when i draw the line and i put a brake on this rifle.

Last edited by pete53; 03/22/21.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
646 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 75 invisible), 2,767 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,650
Posts18,399,153
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.