Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Originally Posted by wabigoon
The Windco bought at late at night April 75. A late season ice storm knocked out the power after we had many days in January after a big blizzard.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

That looks ferocious. Careful not to melt any wiring!

Some times you do what ya gotta do.
I had a 6000W Generator go down on me last year up on my property in Arizona.
I knew the Generator was getting old so I had already purchased another one just in case something happened with the old one,
I picked up an 8750W as a Back up.
well the second trip up to Arizona with the new Back Up Generator my 6000W took a dump on me.
My girl was with me on that trip and she started freaking out because we did not have a Back up to the Back up Generator.
The 8750W was practically Brand New.
So we made a trip down to Kingman and picked up a 2000W Inverter Generator to ease her mind.
I want to make another trip up to Arizona in a week or so and my girl says that the 2000W Generator is not enough as a Back Up Generator.
I have been looking for another bigger Generator for a while.
I found an 12000W Duel Fuel on Craig's List Brand New in the Box for $650
I picked it up yesterday set it up and it ran every thing I hooked up to it as it should have.
My Girl is very happy now.
So I now have
(1) 2000W Inverter
(1) 6000W (Broken down until I see if it can be fixed)
(1) 8750 Electric Start
(1) 12000 Duel Fuel Electric Start
And I never mentioned my
Vantage 400 450 Amp Perkins driven Welding Machine that puts out
11500W Continuous 1PH , & 19000W Continuous 3PH
And my girl is worried about the power going down.
It is always nice to be prepared

BP-B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by funshooter
The Windco bought at late at night April 75. A late season ice storm knocked out the power after we had many days in January after a big blizzard.[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I knew the Generator was getting old so I had already purchased another one just in case something happened with the old one,
well the second trip up to Arizona with the new Back Up Generator my 6000W took a dump on me.
My girl was with me on that trip and she started freaking out because we did not have a Back up to the Back up Generator.
So we made a trip down to Kingman and picked up a 2000W Inverter Generator to ease her mind.
I want to make another trip up to Arizona in a week or so and my girl says that the 2000W Generator is not enough as a Back Up Generator.
I picked it up yesterday set it up and it ran every thing I hooked up to it as it should have.
So I now have
(1) 2000W Inverter
(1) 8750 Electric Start
And I never mentioned my

Girlfriend? Sounds like she needs to be cabled to a hi transmission power pole. Save you some money no?
I’m kidding of course.
I run the 7k eu Honda unit from a separate building. Remote start/stop and timer. It puts out pretty clean electricity. My solar system with sine wave inverter is cleaner. Being off grid both systems get used heavily in my bear camp.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It only takes me about 30 minutes to grab an auxiliary heater and bring it inside for power outages. 6 fugking hours?

I did not know the power was out till SWMBO woke up to go pee, had to get dressed and out to the storage unit to fill the heater and let the wick get ready to light. I should have been better prepared, at least I did get fresh kerosene a couple of weeks ago. I had it going in an hour from the time I was elbowed awake. It will live filled and ready in a much closer storage place till green up.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
laugh My father-in-law, and his brother had a caterpillar electric set. Three phase, big stationary diesel six cylinder Cat engine.
The exhaust stack went through the roof like a chimney pipe.
The wires were the size of hydronic hoses.

That would have powered a small city!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Longest we’ve been out here, over the last 10 years, is maybe 15 hours. I have the little Honda 3000 unit I figure I could rotate the freezers on. Hot water would be SOL I’m guessing.

Saw someone, I think here, mention they bought a diesel welder and it doubles as their house gen. Seems like it’d be a good way to go. One small enough to “easily” load in a truck bed or cart around the yard and enough juice for some lights, fridge/chest freezer, and a hot water heater.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Diesel welders are quite expensive.

We have been out for two weeks at times.

I am MAGA.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Osky
Originally Posted by funshooter

So I now have
(1) 2000W Inverter
(1) 8750 Electric Start
And I never mentioned my

Girlfriend? Sounds like she needs to be cabled to a hi transmission power pole. Save you some money no?
I’m kidding of course.
I run the 7k eu Honda unit from a separate building. Remote start/stop and timer. It puts out pretty clean electricity. My solar system with sine wave inverter is cleaner. Being off grid both systems get used heavily in my bear camp.

Osky

I am getting there with the off grid stuff.
I just need to get out to Arizona more and get established
Bit by bit I am getting there.
My Vantage Welder is not transportable at the present time and I do some (not a lot) of remote welding. I picked up the 8750W to run my Dynasty TIG/Stick welder for small jobs and it works real well.
When I do these remote projects everyone on the job starts attaching all of there crap onto my Generator and it draws to much and starts effecting my machine.
So I have been looking for an larger Generator for quite a while now and this 12K appeared with the right price.
I once had a 4000W Colman living in Utah and we had an 4 State power outage. Some bird flew into a transfer station in Idaho and knocked everyone out if I remember right.
We gathered up every extension cord we could find and my neighbors hooked up to that generator.
We had 5 Refrigerators and 2 fans running for 2 days off of that little thing.
For some reason my neighbors all liked me after that.
Many years later I blew the rings out of the engine.

I do what I have to do to keep my Girl Happy (it does not take much truth be told)
Anything I can do to nudge her closer to getting out of this screwed up state that we are in right now I will do.
She is 64 and I am 60 this year so packing up and moving takes a lot of thought and planing

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
It's nice when the line power comes back on! laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yeah, we generally lose power once every year or so. Every time we do, it's always out for about three days. The trees here still have a bunch of snow on the branches. It just started to rain, sleet, and snow. It's supposed to rain all day and it's only 29*. If it does, there's probably a good chance I'll lose power. The trees are already drooping from the heavy wet snow we had the other day. I fired up the generator a couple of weeks ago, so I should be good to go.

I've got a 6500 Honda. When I built the house 20 years ago, I had the electrician put in a switch box with a pig tail and wired certain circuits to it. I've got heat pumps for each floor, with an oil furnace as backup on the first floor and an oil hot water heater. I can't run the heat pumps (no AC in the Summer), but I can run the furnace, hot water heater, well pump, freezer and beer refrigerator, kitchen frig., an outlet on each floor, outlet and lights in the utility room (man cave) and storage room. I'll run extension cords around so that I have TV and internet. No heat on the second floor, so I'll set up a box fan at the bottom of the steps to blow warm air upstairs. It works out pretty good. I've always managed to keep the upstairs above 60*.

Last edited by StoneCutter; 02/13/21.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
It's nice when the line power comes back on! laugh

Yes it is
But
My property in Arizona is 7+ miles away from the grid
For some strange reason I do not think that in my life time it will make it to my property
So I as well as others have to be prepared to supply our selves with power if we want it.
Being self sufficient has its ups and down sides.
Even tho I am on the grid right now. I supply my own power from time to time.
The power Company will not supply me with 3PH
So I have to supply my own for some of the equipment I have.
It is real nice knowing that If I need a piece of equipment I do not need to worry about 1PH or 3PH power until it gets to the real big stuff.
My welder can handle an 7HP 3PH motor and probably a 10HP (maybe)
My Air Compressor has a 3HP 3PH motor and I have a 3PH Slip Role machine to role 14ga sheet metal.
When I move up to Arizona permanently I will be set up to make a small living with my equipment pending my Vantage 400 dues not break down for the 3 PH power.
If it does I am sure that I will figure something out to power my stuff.

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
For about $5000 more or less, you can get a whole house natural gas generator that automatically comes on when the power goes out, and shuts off when the power comes back on. You can also get it to run about once a week for about 30 minutes to keep the battery charged and keep the engine working properly. We had one at work.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If you don't think you need a genset look at what happened in Cedar Rapids Iowa last year. I took both of mine up to help and they ran weeks on end

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
For about $5000 more or less, you can get a whole house natural gas generator that automatically comes on when the power goes out, and shuts off when the power comes back on. You can also get it to run about once a week for about 30 minutes to keep the battery charged and keep the engine working properly. We had one at work.

What brand was that?

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude

What brand was that?

Generac and generPAK are two

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I took mine out in the county to my In-laws last night because the electric company said they had no idea how much longer the power would be out.....I got it set up and about 3 hours later their electric came back on. I told them to just keep it because we have more of the same crappy weather coming in a few days.....it will save me a trip......I'm getting together with some family members and we're buying them their own generator.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Go to the generac web page. You can figure the equipment you want to run and what size generator you need.
I just had a 22 kw installed. Should meet my power needs. Hasbeen
Generacs are on backorder most places, My Generac man says 25 to 30 weeks, Northern was saying 90 days. Been that way since the hurricanes and the California fires. If you have a Generac, be sure to check the oil every day. My 22 KW holds a little less than 2 qts. including the filter and easily uses a pint in 48 hours. I know of a few cases where they ended up with no oil on the stick or shut down due to low oil pressure. My neighbor up the road kept restarting his until it wouldn't restart. Cost a bunch to get it going again. Also watch the air intake, it can stop up with leaves and the engine doesn't cool too well.

Thanks for the heads up. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Steve Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Back on the generator again. Ice every where. Local power company has their hands full.

https://portlandgeneral.com/outages/

Carpe' Scrotum
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 72 invisible), 3,108 guests, and 1,439 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,604
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.