Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
kciH Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I need to work off a little fat too.

I didn't get my elk tag for MT, but I'm still gonna go into The Bob with a fishing license and a bear tag with my group.

I also found a place for some riding, but I'm guessing he's a good guy as the schedule is full.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

GB2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dan_H
May sound silly, but before riding season I bring a saddle and rack in to the house.
watch a movie etc. sitting in the saddle. good way to slowly get into saddle tougher condition.
Spend time posting and standing in the stirrups to work more muscle groups.
Participating in a clinic is also a good way to jumpstart your riding season.

Hope your ride and hunt goes well. Good luck
Dan

Jumping off a roof into the saddle isn't as easy as it looks, is it?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You should see Dan jump over the horse’s rump at a run, and land in the saddle. Just like TV.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
kciH Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The pre-trip, trip, was a great time. A bit hazy in The Bob, but a great time. I appreciate the advice on working the core and the bike shorts.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Your horse experience and mine are pretty similar. All I knew about horses was what I learned at the pony ring at the fair or from watching westerns. Don't get me wrong, horses are a great way to access the back country if you know what the hell you are doing, which I didn't. We met up with our rancher friend out in a Colorado wilderness area and Gary said here is your horse. Say what? A buddy got him saddled for me and the horse knew that I didn't have a clue how to operate him, so together we just fed our way up the mountain together. I was the comic relief for the horse guys because I was coming down in the saddle when the horse was coming up. After two days of the sorest buns ever, I said to myself that I'll never see an elk this way, so I left the horse at the tent and walked. Later that week I tracked down and shot a big 5x6 when I started hunting elk like the deer back home. When a horse neophyte really appreciates a horse is when you have 700# of elk laying there and there is a guy in camp with pack horses that knows what he's doing. Also, there is very little breathable air out there at 10,000 feet for a flat-lander use to 500 feet, so get in shape before you go.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by kciH
The pre-trip, trip, was a great time. A bit hazy in The Bob, but a great time. I appreciate the advice on working the core and the bike shorts.

Glad it all worked out for you

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Windfall
Your horse experience and mine are pretty similar. All I knew about horses was what I learned at the pony ring at the fair or from watching westerns. Don't get me wrong, horses are a great way to access the back country if you know what the hell you are doing, which I didn't. We met up with our rancher friend out in a Colorado wilderness area and Gary said here is your horse. Say what? A buddy got him saddled for me and the horse knew that I didn't have a clue how to operate him, so together we just fed our way up the mountain together. I was the comic relief for the horse guys because I was coming down in the saddle when the horse was coming up. After two days of the sorest buns ever, I said to myself that I'll never see an elk this way, so I left the horse at the tent and walked. Later that week I tracked down and shot a big 5x6 when I started hunting elk like the deer back home. When a horse neophyte really appreciates a horse is when you have 700# of elk laying there and there is a guy in camp with pack horses that knows what he's doing. Also, there is very little breathable air out there at 10,000 feet for a flat-lander use to 500 feet, so get in shape before you go.

Imagine how that poor nag felt with that pounding!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
https://www.sheathunderwear.com/

These are real helpful for riding. I was skeptical, but don't ride without them after trying them.
I like the longer leg model.

yes I am aware of the potential for jokes, puns or mockery bringing up this subject.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
If you don’t have much experience I’d hold off on riding English and stick to seeking out a place where you can ride Western. Riding English when one doesn’t have much experience not to mention overweight and outta shape can be a bad experience. Your legs will flop all over the place and you really have no place to grab on to.
A Western saddle is much better for the novice rider to gain some seat time and confidence.

“No one in hell can ever say I went to Christ and He rejected me.

C.H. Spurgeon
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
701 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 3,054 guests, and 1,414 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,680
Posts18,399,622
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.