35 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Got mine NIB , but "previously owned" at a good price....been looking for over a year, before i could find a 26" with above average wood....spent the last few months scooping up heavy 7.5's for my future needs, But still havent got out to shoot.. ! ..........give us a report and motivate me to put mine together and play before season !

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have had one for quite a while now and it is my go to shotgun for everything except waterfowl. It's a light gun that is bit demanding on your swing but I carry it far more than I shoot clays with it. I'm stocked with a life time of 16 gauge shells and purchased a MEC and components just in case, so yeah I guess I kind of like this shotgun! The only thing the gun lacks is the charisma that comes with age but in 50 years when we are gone somebody will wish they had bought a whole rack of these guns.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Just a note, the first time I shot it was on a trap range with a voice actuated caller and I was the only one on the line. Was calling for birds as fast as I could load the shells to check functioning and went through 100 birds in near record time. The shotgun got pretty hot but never failed with the light Federal 1 oz loads. With 1 1/8 oz reloads the gun just runs. May want to check out 16 Gauge Society, guy over there by the name of Emptymag has done a bit of work on waterfowl with it and gets good results.

35 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
The Sweet 16 pictured is not the gun for sale.
The gun for sale is the 2021 Shot Show Special Lightning Sweet 16 with the round knob grip (Item Number
0119015005).
I confirmed this with Reeds.

https://www.browning.com/products/f...lability/a5-lightning-sweet-sixteen.html

Last edited by 35; 02/14/21.
IC B2

C
C
I knew what you meant :-)

Never thought Browning would end up releasing one with a correct grip so had mine done by Mark Larson. Also had Briley cut the 28" bbl. down to 23" for grouse hunting. Friend of mine did the same except he had a local smith do his with an English straight grip.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

With the 23" bbl. it is now as long as a 26" Ithaca 37 16 ga. That A5 receiver is a tall long drink of water.

Now I have another proper grouse gun.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Is that a toller? I was interested in getting one years ago, but all the breeders I spoke with seemed to be kooks. Neat dogs though.

35 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ColdIron
I knew what you meant :-)

Never thought Browning would end up releasing one with a correct grip so had mine done by Mark Larson. Also had Briley cut the 28" bbl. down to 23" for grouse hunting. Friend of mine did the same except he had a local smith do his with an English straight grip.

With the 23" bbl. it is now as long as a 26" Ithaca 37 16 ga. That A5 receiver is a tall long drink of water.

Now I have another proper grouse gun.

CI,

Thanks for the pics !
Larson did a great job on your Sweet 16.
Looks like you went with a satin finish on the wood, looks great !
That receiver is a long one.
I can`t wait to compare the length to my 20 ga. Montefeltro.
I`m hoping for some descent grain on the Lightning, I`t`s a Crap Shoot !
The Lightning should be in my hands by the middle of next week.
I`ll post up some pics.

Thanks, Dennis

C
C
Dennis I am sure you will love yours! They are such easy shooting guns before I had Briley chop mine down put a lot of rounds through it on clays. Just a fun gun to shoot. The few I have seen like yours the Lightning Sweet have outstanding wood (compared to the standard ones) and I am already jealous LOL.

Have a Benelli Ultralight in 12 and consider my A5 Sweet my BUL in 16 ga. First Browning to actually fit me I am more a B. Rizzini, FAIR, Berretta and Benelli type.

pabucktail yes a Toller. Been around the breed more than 30 years my FIL introduced me to them, he was from Pa. and my first Toller was named Cayuga Sheshequin Sniper. I know many of the breeders and they aren't exactly kooks LOL. They are picky. About you. And have every right to be and desire the breed standard to be maintained. No backyard breeders allowed. Waiting list in a normal year is at least a year for a pup. Since COVID it is 2+ years and they aren't even taking names to be on a waiting list.

Only know one breeder from Alaska though and she is a hottie. Had more duck bands on her whistle lanyard than any other person I have ever met. Some from birds shot and some won from hunt tests. Sharp as a tack too.

Current hunter is 6 and I mainly hunt upland phez in SD and grouse in Mn.

Only hunt waterfowl in SD when I get drawn and waiting for the 10 AM shooting time for phez.

Breeder bred my guy last summer to one of her bitches that hunts and genetic line up looked good. Have one of his sons, likely my last puppy at my age. He does keep me moving I know how much work they are but ouch I hurt. From what I have seen so far think he will be better than his father. Lights out balls to the wall retrieving and just a pistol in general. Which are all good signs for a hunter.

Can't wait to get him on live birds.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Great looking dogs! I finally gave up after the fourth breeder I spoke with. I was pretty simple and direct, saying I wanted a male dog as a family pet/ hunting dog, and would not have his balls chopped off. They struck me as being anti-hunting and more into the breed as show dogs. Now I just slum a lab.

IC B3

35 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Finally got around to taking a few pics of the Sweet 16.
I`m really pleased with the gun as a whole but I`m left underwhelmed with the quality of the wood on the buttstock frown
At the least I was hoping for some nice straight grain.
Hopefully I`ll get to the Pa. mountains to chase some grouse this fall.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'll take it off your hands if you want. Did you get with 26 inch barrel?

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

If you buy a new one PM me before you buy the other 2 chokes to make a full set.

35 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SLDUCK
I'll take it off your hands if you want. Did you get with 26 inch barrel?

Yes 26" barrels.

35 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

If you buy a new one PM me before you buy the other 2 chokes to make a full set.

I bought the skeet choke.
Which chokes do you have ?

Last edited by 35; 03/18/21.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Also had Mark Larson re work the pistol grip on mine and do some grain enhancement.
FWIW, mine will not cycle Fiocchi light loads.

NRA Patron
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by 35
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

I bought the skeet choke.
Which chokes do you have ?

I have (these are the new browning INVECTOR DS 16 gauge chokes that fit the new sweet 16).

Choke #1 is marked Lead: MOD 1/2
Steel : Imp. Mod 3/4

Choke #2 Lead: Light Full
Steel : X- Full

I’ll ship both for $35 bucks (they are typically 30 a piece).

Last edited by Spotshooter; 03/18/21.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Does anyone know where one can get the shot show special with round knob 26 inch barrel?

35 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I`m guessing Reeds had the Shot Show guns.
There were 3 available on Gun Broker.
The 2021 Shot Show was canceled.
My local Browning dealer said they might be available by late summer or early fall.

N
N
Love what you did with those new Sweet Sixteens. I've had the 28" barrel for 4 years and it's been amazing on dove and wild New Mexico Scaled Quail. In addition to weekly clay shooting with friends and family the past year of covid "have a lot of fun at home" events on my farm. This shotgun is so light I can only imagine how deadly it is on grouse and woodcock in tight quarters with a 23" barrel. I'm shopping for the new Lightning model with above average wood grain now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
292 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 32 invisible), 1,993 guests, and 922 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,822
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.