Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A friend is selling me some .357/158 Berry Bullets. Half of them are the flat point, and half are the hollow point. He tells me that they are both meant as target bullets. Anyone used these and found any expansion with the HP bullet?

These will be primarily used in a .38 LCR and I also have some other bullets ordered, but delivery times are extended. My current powder choices are 700X and Unique. 231 is also available if I want it. If anyone has a favorite load with like components I'd love to hear of them...

I intend to try the Remington 6 1/2 SRP in these to avoid sky high SPP prices. Anyone know of a reason not to attempt this?

Last edited by johnw; 02/13/21.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The plated HPs have a plated hollow point as well, so they won't open up at anything but the most screaming velocities. I've shot them at 1400 out of 357 and they mash up at the nose, but don't open. They shoot well, though they wouldn't be my first choice for self-defense. I've got them loaded up for plinking and small game/varmints.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Load 6 rounds with 6 1/2 primers and try them out. I've shot a bunch of them thru my 586 with no problems.
Berrys hollow points are made for target shooting, not self defense.

Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.
John 8:32

A lie doesn't become truth; wrong doesn't become right; evil doesn't become good, just because it's accepted by the majority...Rick Warren

IKE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I can't comment on the expansion of plated bullets but I can say that I've tried three or four different brands of plated bullets and in my 1911's and GP-100 they just don't group as well as jacketed bullets.

For the range I don't load and shoot anything but Montana Gold, Zero or RMR jacketed bullets and for carry I use factory loaded ammo.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The Berry's hollow points are not designed to expand. They are designed to have a longer length than a flat or round point. By removing some of the lead from the hollow, the body becomes elongated for a given bullet mass. So the 158 grain hollow point is longer than a 158 grain round nose or flat point. That longer length with a given OAL, gives a "combustion chamber" volume more similar to 158 grain hollowpoints that are designed to expand, like a Hornady XTP or Federal Hydrashok or whatever. Even so, I've found the plated hollowpoints don't do that well at emulating a jacketed hollowpoint with respect to internal ballistics. The Berry's bullets seem to be softer than jacketed bullets and they have a different start pressure and possibly a difference in the obturation. Bullseye shooters decry their accuracy, and I prefer jacketed bullets for accurate shooting, but I have not exhaustively proven a shortcoming in that area for the plated bullets. I shoot the plated bullets the most because they're inexpensive for the highest volume tasks like presenting from concealment holster and shooting practice targets at 3 to 7 yards. I can't think of reason to shoot more expensive JHP for jobs like that.

Last edited by Western_Juniper; 02/16/21.
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

153 members (450yukon, 30Gibbs, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 35sambar, 345dl, 22 invisible), 2,741 guests, and 966 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,278
Posts18,467,643
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.