Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
R
Should I be using magnum pistol or large pistol primers when loading .44 Mag with H110? My first rounds I shot were with primed Winchester brass that I’m assuming had WLP primers in them and it shot 23.5 grains of H110 behind a 240 grain XTP with no issues. My question is now that I’m loading again, can I use the same load with large magnum pistol primers? I’ve heard mixed reviews on this topic

Last edited by Remhunter; 02/13/21.
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Work back up

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Remhunter
Should I be using magnum pistol or large pistol primers when loading .44 Mag with H110? My first rounds I shot were with primed Winchester brass that I’m assuming had WLP primers in them and it shot 23.5 grains of H110 behind a 240 grain XTP with no issues. My question is now that I’m loading again, can I use the same load with large magnum pistol primers? I’ve heard mixed reviews on this topic

Yes, H-110 requires a magnum primer. WLP primers are rated for magnum use. My .44 Mag JSP load is 24 grains of H-110. With a 4.25 " barrel, this gives me 1199 FPS.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Good heavy crimp also suggested

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

What do the people who claim it's a bad idea say will happen if you use the same charge and simply swap primers in this case?

Pressures will probably be different swapping primers, but will you notice? Is it best to work back up with new components? That's up to you. I have seen lots of guys run 25gr of 110/296 behind various 240 and 250gr bullets. Some of that, or perhaps all of it could be in the +P arena. I don't know. I do know that thousands of those haven't damaged any guns. It's the guys double-charging with the fast powders that have damaged the guns I've seen damaged.

I've noted no real velocity change between WLP and CCI350 using same cases and same powder charge from same lot of H110, but I have noticed that in cold temps around zero and a bit below, that WLP have not done a good job of igniting a case full of H110. I missed a gimme shot at an elk one chilly morning because of that, after a perfect stalk, when the load squibbed on me, and was more of a FOOM than a BOOM.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B2

R
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
R
Mostly that it can jack pressures to an unsafe level. That being said, I am loading them for a Ruger Super Redhawk, which is built like a tank. I appreciate the input. Most of my loading has been for rifles, so the magnum pistol world is a little foreign still to me. It is good to hear real world experiences from guys that have been there and done it. I ended up loading up 23 grains of H110 behind a 240 grain Hornady with a Federal Large Magnum Pistol Primer to start at. I took that load from Ken Water's book that he loaded for the exact gun that I am shooting. In the book he states that is "near a max load". Made me feel more comfortable about the load. I have also shot Buffalo Bore +P cast loads through this gun with absolutely zero issues. Yet again, I feel more comfortable seeking a bit of guidance from those more experienced when I am in doubt, so thank you again for the input guys!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Work up loads with both primers and see which performs the best in your gun.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

What do the people who claim it's a bad idea say will happen if you use the same charge and simply swap primers in this case?

Pressures will probably be different swapping primers, but will you notice? Is it best to work back up with new components? That's up to you. I have seen lots of guys run 25gr of 110/296 behind various 240 and 250gr bullets. Some of that, or perhaps all of it could be in the +P arena. I don't know. I do know that thousands of those haven't damaged any guns. It's the guys double-charging with the fast powders that have damaged the guns I've seen damaged.

I've noted no real velocity change between WLP and CCI350 using same cases and same powder charge from same lot of H110, but I have noticed that in cold temps around zero and a bit below, that WLP have not done a good job of igniting a case full of H110. I missed a gimme shot at an elk one chilly morning because of that, after a perfect stalk, when the load squibbed on me, and was more of a FOOM than a BOOM.

Well put.
I've spent time chronographing WLP & CCI350 and found no difference. But I have had WLP split where CCI350 didn't leading me to believe that WLP uses a thinner cup and therefore likely more sensitive for revolvers that need it.

I didn't realize there was a cold weather difference between the two - good to know.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Back when I used to shoot 240 XTPs , I used a CCI 350 with 24 grains of H110 with no issues in my ruger blackhawk. Hodgdon's website and Hornady's manual should help if you're still unsure

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In the 2015 Hodgdon Manual, Brian Pearce did a piece on the effects of changing primers in some common cartridges. H110 did fine with standard primers, but he still recommends mags for use in cold weather. I’m using standard Fed Match because that’s what I have, regardless.

That article alone makes that issue worth seeking out.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 160user, 12344mag, 54 invisible), 2,794 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,489
Posts18,452,068
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.