Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I tend carry a saw with me even often backpacking outside of hunting season. Almost always on longer day hikes. A saw just makes life a lot easier when processing wood (or if an emergency shelter is needed). After trying numerous saws, all of my saws are now Silky- they simply cut better- I have small ones up to a really large one that resides in my pickup in lieu of lugging around a chain saw.

I recently met a gentleman who was very handy with a 3D printer and came up with a really lightweight solution, but still allows the use of Silky blades (I carry both a coarse and fine when hunting, if I want ribs out or need to skull cap something- put the fine blade on).

original Pocketboy 130 and lighter version

[Linked Image from imgur.com]

original

lighter version

I've had it out on a couple of winter trips and while not as robust as the all metal original, it still cuts great and seems pretty sturdy

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Laplander.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Nice! When do they go on sale?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole
Nice! When do they go on sale?

I'll see if the guy is interested in making a few more smile

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Nice.

I'm a fan of the Silky saws too. Got a couple, 210 and 500. Need a Pocketboy in the inventory though.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by MontanaMarine; 02/06/21.
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
This is the Silky Katanaboy 500. if you don't grin just opening this beast, something might be wrong with you.....smile

20" blade can cut.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Used Sierra saws for many years for light work. Blades started breaking in the early 2000s (Chinese versions) so bought a Bahco 396-LAP Laplander about 6yrs ago and it's been stellar. Made in Sweden.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
^^ that's the one I carry in my truck in lieu of a chainsaw; not uncommon to have a blowdown (or two) on the way into a hunting spot- and you definitely want something if those blowdowns happen when your heading out laugh

I keep a small axe and a couple of small wedges to assist when that happens

If I had a wood stove I'm sure I'd just pack a chainsaw, but I don't and that big Silky does the trick pretty well

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
^^^

Good info. For sheer lightness I have a one of those wire saws in a homemade cardboard sheath. But it's not as handy to use as a folder saw. The small folding saws like the Silky or Laplander come in handier. Also carry one of the pocket chainsaws off Amazon with a bow saw and axe in the truck for blow downs and firewood too. Lots of good choices out there.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Having used a pile of different ones over the years I've settled on the Opinel no.12 pruning saw w/ 5" blade. The locking ring really locks the whole thing up super positively (no chance of it coming apart and cutting oneself).

I'd absolutely go for the lightened Pocketboy if the locking mechanism is stout/positive. I like that weight!

While I've used blades larger than 5", I've never found I need more for backcountry fires, as long as you can out-think the chunk of wood.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In case you wanted to know...
I was curious about the benefits of straight or curved blades. What I found was that straight blades are intended to used between waist and head high. Curved blades work better below the waist or higher than your head. The angle of your wrists is the issue. A curved blade will do most of the cutting on the center half of the blade while a straight blade will use almost the whole blade. You only get a half of a stroke with a curved blade.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I use a Troy Bilt saw. Picked it up at Ollie’s ( similar to big lots ) for $8 or so.

German made.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I carry a corona razor tooth 7" blade weighs in a 9 oz. The curved blade really tears through the wood.

Don't limit your challenges
Challenge your limits
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Brad
Having used a pile of different ones over the years I've settled on the Opinel no.12 pruning saw w/ 5" blade. The locking ring really locks the whole thing up super positively (no chance of it coming apart and cutting oneself).

I'd absolutely go for the lightened Pocketboy if the locking mechanism is stout/positive. I like that weight!

While I've used blades larger than 5", I've never found I need more for backcountry fires, as long as you can out-think the chunk of wood.

neat I did not know opinel made them

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great pics! Laplander then to Silky for me but both work great.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ribka
Originally Posted by Brad

neat I did not know opinel made them

They’re not very expensive either, but they’re definitely great quality.

https://mcloydandco.com/collections/opinel/products/opinel-n%C2%BA12-stainless-steel-compact-folding-saw

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I thought you meant light weight chain saws.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
This is the Silky Katanaboy 500. if you don't grin just opening this beast, something might be wrong with you.....smile

20" blade can cut.

I broke out in a grin just seeing the picture. Another on the gotta have list.......

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

20" blade can cut.

I broke out in a grin just seeing the picture. Another on the gotta have list.......

Yes. If you think you need one, than you absolutely need one....grin.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That’s awesome... grin fully intact!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 163bc, 71 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,541
Posts18,453,175
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.