Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
I keep reading about carrying ratchet pruners and I have two questions:

1. Is there an advantage to the ratchet system? (I've never used one)
2. Get bypass or anvil style? (if that's an option)

Last edited by humdinger; 02/09/21.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I bet they make a little noise, not good. I simply keep a fiskars bypass in my vest.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Victorinox Swiss Army Knife with a saw blade. I like the Alox handles and like the Farmer. If the plastic handles suit you the Hiker is a good one.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Tag

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Florian ratchet, which are anvil style, are good. They're not noisy. If too spendy check Fiskars.

I used to carry them before I got a better idea about what spooks gobblers. They are handy for bow hunting off the ground, though.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
IC B2

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
Florian ratchet, which are anvil style, are good. They're not noisy. If too spendy check Fiskars.

I used to carry them before I got a better idea about what spooks gobblers. They are handy for bow hunting off the ground, though.

florian r good pruners...also chk out ezcut almost indestructible

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite

What spooks gobblers?

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
EZkut guarantee the best in industry. Sent a pair back years ago to get blades sharpened and in few days got a new pair in mail. Never broke a pair and have gut some logs with them. Remember turkey hunting sitting behind a barb wire fence and had took my shears and cut some limbs to conceal me, and 2 gobblers heard me and just as I was rolling back in my seat, they crossed to my right about 5 yards, went under that fence and out into the pasture looking for that hen they thought they heard. Got out there about 25 yds and thought they had separated....well, I picked out the longest beard and BOOM....shot and killed both of them! Bad mistake, but got out of there with one at a time and didn't get caught.

O.B.Wallace
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Blueboy
EZkut guarantee the best in industry. Sent a pair back years ago to get blades sharpened and in few days got a new pair in mail. Never broke a pair and have gut some logs with them. Remember turkey hunting sitting behind a barb wire fence and had took my shears and cut some limbs to conceal me, and 2 gobblers heard me and just as I was rolling back in my seat, they crossed to my right about 5 yards, went under that fence and out into the pasture looking for that hen they thought they heard. Got out there about 25 yds and thought they had separated....well, I picked out the longest beard and BOOM....shot and killed both of them! Bad mistake, but got out of there with one at a time and didn't get caught.

And people wonder why the game warden shows up!! smirk

Last edited by Goats260; 02/16/21.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've broken every one I've ever had, every single one.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm a big fan of ratcheting pvc pipe cutters, but haven't used them on trees.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I purchased the Garrett Wade hand ratchet-pruner. Great tool. While cutting multi-flora bushes in a fence line wasn't watching what I was doing and cut into a barbed wire a few times. Ordered not one, but four extra blades for just in case.

https://garrettwade.com/product/rat...f57XHjbA6QdmRuCBalIg8YXS0OUaAhPDEALw_wcB

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Blueboy
EZkut guarantee the best in industry.

Or near the best, I'm a fan of their cutters, and I've broken their stuff over the years from cutting bigger limbs than I probably should have.

The rep at the Great American Outdoors Show has never failed to replace them, or anybody else I've sent his way.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Much easier on thicker branches. It ain’t a saw tho.

Camp is where you make it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

632 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 65 invisible), 3,248 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,591
Posts18,454,313
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.