Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by deflave
Kill the water to your house and drain all lines to the best of your ability.

This is also the best way to find the low spots in your plumbing. When things thaw out and you turn the water back on, the pipes will be split at the low spots.

I recommend PEX water lines whenever installing new or replacing Plumbing lines.

I've had PEX water lines freeze, but I've never had one rupture. Do everything in your power to minimize the number of fittings. Fittings are where the rupture will occur.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Burrrrr

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Hope it's PEX....

If copper, I believe they can be thawed by putting an electric welder on it - I don't know the exact procedure. I guess the juice will heat the copper, thawing the water inside.

Hopefully the water stays inside....

Last edited by las; 02/15/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Blaines farm and fleet , Loews, Walmart, they all have them for around 50 bucks. Oil radiators electric.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Whelenman
Blaines farm and fleet , Loews, Walmart, they all have them for around 50 bucks. Oil radiators electric.

You're a long way from Texas, cowboy.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by kenjs1
I already have one toilet on the north side of house that is frozen by pouring water vut it isn't filling. Guessing I should leave the valve open and for now I put a heating pad on it but.....anything I should be doing? Only pace heater is at my camper...doing nothing. Worried about my line to my water heater and to my washing machine...... any advice. for us warm weather Texans.

Does the supply line come through wall or up from the floor?
If there is enough of an opening might set a blow dryer by it with air blowing into the opening for a bit.
On low setting and don't leave it for long periods unattended.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I light bulb and some insulation will work in a pinch assuming you have power. I’ve gone without power for a week during a heat wave and thru a brutal winter storm. I’ve always had a least one generator and plenty of extension cords. Both times we had small children to tend to. It’s your individual responsibility to prepare for the worse.
Good luck Texas!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Pray for warmer weather. Not trying to be a smartazz, but the time to worry about is before they freeze. Afterwards is too late

I get it JamesJr- didn't take it as smart assed.

Other than cover the outdoor spigots, leave doors and cabinets open and leave a sink dripping what else? >

Not dripping. Allow a stream of diameter equal to a pencil lead. ~1/8”

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Whelenman

You're a long way from Texas, cowboy.

LOL

Have not seen too many farm and fleet stores down in Texas

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Originally Posted by kingston

This is also the best way to find the low spots in your plumbing. When things thaw out and you turn the water back on, the pipes will be split at the low spots.

Shouldn't, if the water has been drained any water trapped in low spots will expanded laterally within the pipe when it freezes, supplanting the air space left by the drained liquid. Ice will split the pipe when it is dead headed with nowhere else to expand, which is why you drain the water ahead of the freeze.

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Expose whatever you can buy opening cupboards, access holes in the wall etc, crank the heat up in the house, put electric heaters in the cupboards, and turn hot and cold water on.

Keep things moving. Flush the toilets throughout the day, open your faucets and let them flow, then turn them back to a trickle.

Good luck and pray nothing broke.

-Jake

^^^THIS^^^

Plus, turn off your outside spigots. Some of you are saying that you're covering them. I'd turn them Mofo's off and drain them unless you're using them. You sure as hell ain't gonna wash your car. Below zero is some cold schit no matter where you're from.

Last edited by StoneCutter; 02/15/21.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It can be cheaper and easier to cut a hole in the wallboard and install a grate over it, than to fix broken pipes.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Expose whatever you can buy opening cupboards, access holes in the wall etc, crank the heat up in the house, put electric heaters in the cupboards, and turn hot and cold water on.

Keep things moving. Flush the toilets throughout the day, open your faucets and let them flow, then turn them back to a trickle.

Good luck and pray nothing broke.

-Jake

^^^THIS^^^

Plus, turn off your outside spigots. Some of you are saying that you're covering them. I'd turn them Mofo's off and drain them unless you're using them. You sure as hell ain't gonna wash your car. Below zero is some cold schit no matter where you're from.

A lot of folks in the South don't have any way of turning off the outside faucets. It's common for them to be plumbed into the main line of the house without any means of turning them off except for shutting off the main at the meter. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a house in my area with the shutoffs for the outdoor faucets that are common up North.

”Those who would give up liberty for security, deserve neither.” Ben Franklin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

This is the choice I had to make just a few minutes ago. One cold water line in the kitchen has developed a leak, probably ruptured. I shut off our water out at the meter because I've heard how much a big leak can cost. Now the rest of the plumbing will freeze because I can't keep a trickle going. There are no good choices here.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
"A lot of folks in the South don't have any way of turning off the outside faucets. It's common for them to be plumbed into the main line of the house without any means of turning them off except for shutting off the main at the meter. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a house in my area with the shutoffs for the outdoor faucets that are common up North."

Our Tenn house didn't used to have one.
It froze and split, has one now.
140+ basically identical houses in the neighborhood, guessing many have been replaced over 20 years of this global warming.

FJB & FJT
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I don't turn mine off, but they are the kind that the valve is way back in the house, like 12-16 inches. The best thing you can do is make sure the hoses are disconnected outside and let it run some.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin.'"
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by RiverRider

This is the choice I had to make just a few minutes ago. One cold water line in the kitchen has developed a leak, probably ruptured. I shut off our water out at the meter because I've heard how much a big leak can cost. Now the rest of the plumbing will freeze because I can't keep a trickle going. There are no good choices here.

One can stop the flow of water from the burst pipe with a quick connect end cap. If it’s a separate line will then be able to run water to prevent the other lines from freezing.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Open every valve that you can.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Poconojack

One can stop the flow of water from the burst pipe with a quick connect end cap. If it’s a separate line will then be able to run water to prevent the other lines from freezing.

True enough, but if would go so far as to do that much, I may as well just do the entire repair. Not happening today.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A 100 watt incandescent lamp produces a lot of heat if
an old trouble light can be placed in the right place.

There are a lot of old pump houses and add on bathrooms
around here that are kept from freezing by a lightbulb.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,923 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,541
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.