Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Hello All...it's so cold in the Midwest, staying in by the Fire. I acquired the above mentioned folder some time back and have never carried it like I thought I would. It is a Wegner design with black composite scales in S30V and USA stamped on the blade. It is bigger than I thought it would be (about 3" blade length) and wondering if anyone has one and would comment on what you think about the knife. Thanks, while keeping warm.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ies/15792150/bladetech-tim-wegner-design

Last edited by LEADMINER; 02/15/21.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I owned the Spyderco versions of the Wegner in both small and large. I liked the small version, the large was just a bit too banana curved in handle for my taste. The liner lock was well done but in today's knife world I don't care all that much for liner locks. I think there are stronger, more secure locking systems nowadays. The Spyderco Wegner's weren't bad knives, especially so for their time period they were quite good.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Always wished i snagged a Spyderco years back.

I like that profile.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have one of the Made in Taiwan AUS 8, BladeTec Wenger folders.
Somehow I always have something else in hand when I'm dressing out a deer or elk.
It's a design that's comfortable when I choke up on it for detail cutting but not as handy for general EDC use as a couple others I have.
I'll pull it back out and give it another try. S30V is a Nice upgrade to the version I have!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Spydie versions were ATS-34. I used the small one as an EDC and on some squirrel hunting trips. I field dressed and skinned a couple deer with the large one. If it were available today with a better lock like the Compression or Axis lock it would be a cool knife to have in the rotation.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have 4 of the Bladetech Wegners including 1 Taiwan, 1 Pro Hunter Orange, one with Carbon fiber scales and two in G10 black and orange. All are S30. I also have Spyderco Wegners in large and small. Love them. Nearly a perfect whitetail knife if you like folders (I do) and bone out deer.

Hard to find a better mid-priced folder in my opinion. Comfortable, rugged and hold a good edge.

Frank

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a couple of US made S30V prohunters. Thought they'd be good for field dressing. They're okay I guess, but I have fixed blade designs that work a lot better for me.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I like the standard blade better than the Pro Hunter. Thinner blade, lighter, same steel and a better cutter in my opinion.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have two, one early version that I think was ATS-34 (not a Spyderco) and a newer S30V that I happened to pick up on EBay for a good price. I bought the first one back around 1990-ish when I was looking for a lightweight do-it-all while sheep hunting in AK.

If someone has one they are looking to get rid of at a decent price please hit me up. One in each vehicle/pack would seduce my OCD. smile

Bob

Last edited by Akbob5; 02/17/21.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
About ten years ago I bought three of the blade tech Wegner designed folders two had black handles and the other was green. I don’t remember if they were the USA made or imported I think they were about $50 each when I bought them. Anyway I gave the two black handles away to hunting buddies and kept the one with green handle. All three of us broke the lock mechanism within a year. Shipped them all back to blade tech after getting the two broken ones back at deer camp the following year. Warranty didn’t cover it I don’t remember now if it was because it had been over a year since purchasing or if I didn’t have the receipt but either way they didn’t fix it.
The shape of the blade was nice and I skinned a buck and a few hogs before mine died had the lock mechanism held I would reach for it before a lot of other blades I have now. The two I gave away survived that hunting season and skinned a few bucks each but weren’t tough enough to be EDC for those Alberta cowboys.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

69 members (10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 264mag, AscensionIndustries, 2500HD, 14 invisible), 1,113 guests, and 822 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,483
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.