Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
GTC22 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Hi Alaska Friends, our first born is considering buying a dental practice in Anchor Point. He has been out of school for two years working here in Utah and is ready to make a move toward being his own boss.

They are flying in to Homer in a week to snoop around. What should they be looking for as far as where to put down roots? The practice is in Anchor Point, are there better places to live nearby-Homer, Happy Valley,etc? Pros or cons? Schools for the kids, real estate prices?

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
He's in luck!

Little known fact that the toothbrush was invented in Anchor Point, AK. Had it been anywhere else, it would have been called the "teethbrush", which isn't as catchy.

AP is a heck of a lot cheaper to buy houses, particularly out on North Fork Rd vs Homer. I have a house in Homer, and couldn't afford to live there if I didn't build it 15 years ago (lots of independently wealthy lower 48ers and Commiefornians moving in).

AP is a little more white trashy, and methy than Homer (it's also a great place to buy some really cheap snowmachines, boat stuff, and other power equipment that was stolen in Homer).

AP is 15 miles from Homer. Driving from Homer to AP for work would be kind of a "reverse commute." If south of Ninilchik, Homer is the closest town for shopping. Ninilchik and north, it's Soldotna, which has bigger stores and better prices.

Last edited by LoadClear; 02/15/21.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Hey, now. Kenai has Safeway, AIH, IGA, HomeyD, and the Chinese embassy!
🤣

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by ironbender
Hey, now. Kenai has Safeway, AIH, IGA, HomeyD, and the Chinese embassy!
🤣

Ehh, Soldotna and Kenai are basically the same town.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Fighting’ words! wink

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Fighting’ words! wink

wink Sorry I didn't know you folks really noticed much of a difference either lol. Soldotna is where I stop to piss and get gas while headed north, Kenai is where I divert to when I need crap at Home Depot...

O
OAM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Fighting’ words! wink

+1

O
OAM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Ap is alot cheaper then Homer but alot less desirable. The "north fork" seems to always have terrible smelling water because of the iron levels. Some really good people there but lots of scum bags as well.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Does he plan on battering fish (mostly chum and humpy) and furs (mostly cats but some dogs) for extractions and antibiotics?.....asking for a friend. 😁

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GTC22 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Ha ha we've heard about the meth prominence. Hopefully enough teeth left there to earn a living. I'm sure he'll get the hang of AK bartering in no time.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by OAM
Ap is alot cheaper then Homer but alot less desirable. The "north fork" seems to always have terrible smelling water because of the iron levels. Some really good people there but lots of scum bags as well.

Plenty of arsenic in many wells, too.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GTC22 Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by OAM

Plenty of arsenic in many wells, too.

Oh boy!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If a dentist is not too proud to do full mouth extractions, the methmouth phenomenon can be quite lucrative when government subsidies are available.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Tough to get paid here with our costs in Alaska Son had 4 wisdom teeth pulled $4500 several years back, my routine Colon Exam $8500.

Dental insurance is spendy and not many have it and the reimbursement rates are low.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Tough to get paid here with our costs in Alaska Son had 4 wisdom teeth pulled $4500 several years back, my routine Colon Exam $8500.

Dental insurance is spendy and not many have it and the reimbursement rates are low.

Almost took the chip shot over the fence... wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What ? Huh ? There ain't but one full set of teeth when adding up the entire area!

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Soldotna also has a great restaurant called the Klondike. Awesome sandwiches and pies. I haven't been there in 29 years, though.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
O
OAM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Soldotna also has a great restaurant called the Klondike. Awesome sandwiches and pies. I haven't been there in 29 years, though.

Sensitive subject for us Soldotna guys. Klondike dinner (Sals) closed a couple years ago. The last 6 months the food really went down hill. I think it's a Thai food place now. I haven't been there yet but keep meaning to.

Last edited by OAM; 02/17/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OAM
Originally Posted by High_Noon

Sensitive subject for us Soldotna guys. Klondike dinner (Sals) closed a couple years ago. The last 6 months the food really went down hill. I think it's a Thai food place now. I haven't been there yet but keep meaning to.

Damn. I'm sorry to hear that. I had hoped to make it back there one day. My Bud and I would go there every week for a time. It got to the point that the waitresses would see us and they'd say to one-another: "Those Texans are here again looking at the pies." I still dream about the Big Dipper sandwich and a slice of pumpkin pie on occasion. Best damn pumpkin pie I ever et. Breakfast was awesome too. Sorry for your loss.

Last edited by High_Noon; 02/18/21.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Just go to KRB.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 52 invisible), 2,698 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,568
Posts18,453,813
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.